STOP LOCKING THREADS

Bans and unjust moderation are to be appealed here.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: STOP LOCKING THREADS

Post by Iv121 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Also note that arguments got nothing to do with the current topic at hand (ironically).

And that is another big problem that your system creates - in order to avoid a lock people now will create giant threads designed to discuss all possible things at once instead of making new threads, so yea why not lets make one giant "Gaming" thread in the gaming subforum and never create a new thread again.

BTW cats and Ivan I know you support me (or rather I support cats) but let's let Error answer them one by one. Error you still got quite a fattish post in the end of the first page that I wanna see you trying to shake off :) .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:27 am

Error's doing a good job, leave him alone.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:33 am

Iv, the only issue with one massive megathread is finding stuff in it. That's literally the only issue I can think of. Also, if you want to make a thread discussing everything vaguely to do with X, I have not discouraged that. Instead of derailing a topic (regardless of whether the OP wants to stay on topic or not), make a thread dedicated to the new discussion, to lessen the whole moderator deathglare.

Also, I'm not unlocking the requested thread. That would be more pointless than you say locking it is. It served its purpose, making a suggestion, and the suggestion will not be implemented, end of story.

Thanks to CMA and Jedi for their support here.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Problem is Error you will never learn this way, it is about the principle, not the specific case, if you want to keep that thread locked you will need to explain it. It doesn't matter if the discussion there is dead or not, you locked it due to off-topic, that’s is the only valid reason you have to lock that thread, and now Im planning to invalidate locking threads as a method of dealing with off-topic:

Do you agree that locking threads does not help to return discussion to the originating topic due to the fact the discussion simply ceases to exist ? If not explain yourself.

Error

Post by Error » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Iv, I have been with FC since December 2011, and in all that time, I have seen very, very few topic un-derail themselves. Once this community goes offtopic, it stays offtopic, unless you lot get prodded by a mod or admin.

Also, I will say it again, if you want to discuss something in general, megathreads. Cats was complaining that cluttering up the place with new threads was bad, so I advocate megathreads.

And frankly, I'm not sure why staying on topic is so absurdly difficult. If you go offtopic, you can, funny enough, change the thread title to reflect this if you so desire. And if I didn't lock threads, this forum would be nothing but a few dedicated threads and a whole pile of random crap. Again, not something I find fun.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Its all cool and stuff, but you didnt answer the question.

Error

Post by Error » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:46 pm

I shall answer your question with another question.

Why is it the end of the world?

You say it stops the flow of conversation....which was off topic in the first place.

You say it's pointless...and yet I do it to try and prevent arguments and heated disagreements.

You say locking a thread doesn't return it to the original topic...which it won't, true, but without my (extensive) prodding, it won't do that anyway.

And I remind you that there is absolutely zero point to even having more than 1 thread if it doesn't need to stay on topic.
Why not just have one megathread for every subforum and be done with it? Then you can be as offtopic as you like.

So I shall say this again, Iv, cats, Ivan, and whoever. I lock threads because they go off topic, look to be moving fro "discussion" to "arguing", and because they have served their purpose and are not required to stay open.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:22 pm

And you really believe it will stop off-topic ? You only make both parties suffer (well not rly but neither party benefits for sure), so what is the point of your action ? It is not treating the problem, nor preventative measure like a ban is for example, you know this just as well as I do, that is why its time to man up and do what’s right.

Also if it was the end of the world I wouldn't be bothering to write this, it would be too late already, it has nothing to do against you either, consider it as preventative measure and beneficial experience

Error

Post by Error » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:08 pm

So, what, step down and let you lot sort yourselves out? Stop moderating and let you do whatever? Not sure what you want me to do.

If you guys ask me to, I will step down as a mod. If you think I'm doing a bad job, or have another reason, say so.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Guys, you do know I'm the back up canidate for mod, right?

Do you really want that? Do you really want that?
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm not certain why Error is a moderator at all, but I nominated him back when elections were a thing and I still support him as a moderator. I cannot for the life of me understand why there's a person already in place as backup moderator, and it absolutely boggles my mind that anyone would pick CMA for that role, but for the love of gods Error is doing a good job, and even if he wasn't he would still be better than the apparent alternative.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:02 pm

If mod privileges are being punted around, I was once a mod, and I like to think I did an alright job
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 pm

If you have any further comments, thread is staying open.

/irony

@Jedi I'm a mod because I'm a reasonable person, and was voted in during the FC reform thing.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:@Jedi I'm a mod because I'm a reasonable person, and was voted in during the FC reform thing.
Voted in by whom?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Making a topic for off-topic won't magically remove the tendency toward off-topic in other threads, 'megathreads' aren't how conversations work. Locking a thread is like combating the forum instead of those that actually initiate and perpetuate off-topic. Most off-topic is a result of the evolution of the original topic, anyway, so it's not really that the thread has been derailed, but that the topic has changed. FC has always been conversational, there's no need to change that. We used to get by just fine without mods locking threads every chance they got.

Also declaring yourself a reasonable person doesn't make you a reasonable person. And why do we suddenly trust CMA with... things? He's only not been an ass for a month or two, I'm almost a little offended that he would be chosen over someone like me for... things. Rabble rabble.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *