STOP LOCKING THREADS

Bans and unjust moderation are to be appealed here.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Re: STOP LOCKING THREADS

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:55 pm

Problem is, every time amoderator gets more trigger happy than you want them to on locking, complaints happen. A lot. There was an appeals thread on the old old forum about Jedi doing the same, and I think one on either ACH or another moderator. So you may be able to see why I don't view community opinion on moderation as sacred.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Its not community opinion that matters, again all I asked from you is to look at the facts behind it, they matter.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Problem is, every time amoderator gets more trigger happy than you want them to on locking, complaints happen. A lot. There was an appeals thread on the old old forum about Jedi doing the same, and I think one on either ACH or another moderator. So you may be able to see why I don't view community opinion on moderation as sacred.
Maybe if there are multiple precedents against a thing, it's really not a good idea.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't recall ever locking a thread...

ACH 2014? Really though, threads in the off topic section should only be locked for massive shitstorms or flame wars, as there is no off topic in the off topic area. In other places the off topic can be pruned from the thread by, you know, deleting posts.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:33 pm

ACH0225 wrote:I don't recall ever locking a thread...

ACH 2014? Really though, threads in the off topic section should only be locked for massive shitstorms or flame wars, as there is no off topic in the off topic area. In other places the off topic can be pruned from the thread by, you know, deleting posts.
Pretty much. Threads in the Member's lounge should be free to change subject at will and there are definetly better methods of enforcing them elsewhere.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Again. off topic and/or Members' Lounge is for stuff that doesn't fit into the other subforums, not for people to eternally wander offtopic.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Again. off topic and/or Members' Lounge is for stuff that doesn't fit into the other subforums, not for people to eternally wander offtopic.
Yeah, so what?
There is not set theme that has to be followed because of the position of the thread in the forum.
Therefore the topic can change like in any normal conversation.
Again, locking topics is not how you combat off-topic.
And then there's the point that the purpose of a mod is to prevent the forum from going down the drain, and I don't see where off-topic would contribute to that.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied