Security Status

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
Security Status

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 pm

First off, a disclaimer. This idea is totally ripped off from EVE and needs to be modified so that we don't get sued or such.

The way I see it, players have different desires. In our community alone, this is obvious. Some of us want pure PVP, some of us want PVE exclusively. We need to find a way to make both players play the same game. There have been proposals to isolate the playerbase into two galaxies, but that just makes both galaxies less populated.

Security status is a simple concept: Each server has a number assigned to it. This number ranges from -1 to 1. The number is chosen at server generation, based on the owner's preferences. Servers between 1 and .6 are Highsec space. PVP combat is disallowed, and NPC pirates are scarce. (They still exist, especially in lower highsec space.) Severs between .1 and .5 are Lowsec - PVP is allowed, but restricted to clans that are actively at war, and there are larger NPC pirates. Planets are more hostile, etc. 0.0 and below is the wild. Nullsec. The wild. Here, piracy is commonplace. PVP is encouraged.

So, why go into low- and nullsec? Well, part of it is adventure, and the chance to be a pirate. But lowsec and nullsec also have much more mineral wealth; if you have a mining operation, it's going to be more profitable to do it in nullsec. That is, assuming you aren't dead. Nullsec will have tons of existing materials, and some materials that can only be found in Nullsec. If you want to build the titans and battlefleets, you'll need to fight for your share of Nullsec.

Thoughts? It's a rough draft, but please tear it apart as much as you can, so that we can fix it.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Security Status

Post by cats » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:28 am

My vote goes toward no restriction, but design FC so that measures can be taken by servers/factions/serverfactions to minimize NPC pirates and hostility.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:54 am

Such restrictions would allow * servers to just hide inside their highsec servers, which is why I don't like this. The reason for two seperate universes for those two types of gameplay would simply be to not allow players to cheat. It wouldn't make servers less populated than they'd already be, that loss would be nothing more than no superfarmed idiots going on an intergalactic killing spree after weeks of hermitage. The PvE sissies and PvP players should never come in contact at all, it'd be unfair for both parties.

Also, the rarity of resources should not be determined by that set level, but rather through environmental dangers. Like volcanic or arctic planets, which would require very high tier technology to survive on them for a mentionable amount of time, let alone harvest them. Having pirates and player outlaws roam there would be a logical consquence coming all by itself, considering their isolation and harshness.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:45 am

Well I don’t like the idea of forcefully disabling PvP, instead letting PvP happen anywhere yet discourage it in "High Sec" areas by tighter NPC patrols. Also Des seeking security in protectorate areas was an old trick known since like 5000 BC or something, that’s part of gameplay.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:10 am

You know, Iv, that last post was a pretty good idea, methinks.

You can set how much NPC peacekeeping fleet you want to be around in your place, which in turn will take actions against pirates and excessive warmongering (aka attacking without provocation)
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 am

Or player empires/factions could build ships and man them fully with npcs soldiers/crewmembers, they could patrol that space then in their name. No need for NPC-faction policemen.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 am

Saravanth wrote:Or player empires/factions could build ships and man them fully with npcs soldiers/crewmembers, they could patrol that space then in their name. No need for NPC-faction policemen.
...But then the ships are loyal to that particular faction.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Have NPC fleets that patrol high security space, and if a player commits an act of aggression (fires on [and hits] without provocation) they show up to mete out some return fire.

Yes, CONCORD. But slightly less OP. Also, have a setting for server owners that will allow them to enable/disable NPC pirates, and set how frequently they show up.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Kdapt-Preacher wrote:
Saravanth wrote:Or player empires/factions could build ships and man them fully with npcs soldiers/crewmembers, they could patrol that space then in their name. No need for NPC-faction policemen.
...But then the ships are loyal to that particular faction.
The region those ships are in would kind of be in that faction's territory, wouldn't they? Empires usually have that kind of influence, you know...

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Requesting move to section 3.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:29 pm

I second that.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Moved to Dev Phase 3.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Saravanth wrote:Such restrictions would allow * servers to just hide inside their highsec servers, which is why I don't like this. The reason for two seperate universes for those two types of gameplay would simply be to not allow players to cheat. It wouldn't make servers less populated than they'd already be, that loss would be nothing more than no superfarmed idiots going on an intergalactic killing spree after weeks of hermitage. The PvE sissies and PvP players should never come in contact at all, it'd be unfair for both parties.
I don't really understand how a * could be a * if they were in highsec. PVP isn't allowed except for duels. I also don't see how players could cheat the system or become superfarmed and going on a killing spree. Could you explain how that would happen? Basically, the way I see it, having security status pretty much allows 3 universes, but allows players to immigrate between servers.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Keon wrote:
Saravanth wrote:Such restrictions would allow * servers to just hide inside their highsec servers, which is why I don't like this. The reason for two seperate universes for those two types of gameplay would simply be to not allow players to cheat. It wouldn't make servers less populated than they'd already be, that loss would be nothing more than no superfarmed idiots going on an intergalactic killing spree after weeks of hermitage. The PvE sissies and PvP players should never come in contact at all, it'd be unfair for both parties.
I don't really understand how a * could be a * if they were in highsec. PVP isn't allowed except for duels. I also don't see how players could cheat the system or become superfarmed and going on a killing spree. Could you explain how that would happen? Basically, the way I see it, having security status pretty much allows 3 universes, but allows players to immigrate between servers.
Because the * could build a huge navy, then migrate to another, less secure nation and * them.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:29 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Keon wrote:
Because the * could build a huge navy, then migrate to another, less secure nation and * them.
No, because the less secure nation would have more materials. That is a valid point though, we need to avoid making either side horribly OP. Again, this is low priority stuff.