Your vision of the mod

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112
Your vision of the mod

Post by Solar112 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Des and Iv are at it again in skype...

But des had a nice idea that I thought might help settle it.

Write down EVERYTHING that a play might, and would probably do in your vision of the mod. everything.

Possible points to expand(Common things between people):
Anti-bullying(Iv,Keon)
Last edited by Solar112 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Your vision of the mod

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Writing everything is impossible as all we have right now is a generic idea.

My FC is based around the fact you can build your ships, space stations and buildings any way you want, with those ships you can gather money in the way you want and with that money buy other resources from NPCs. NPCs ensure ppl are not bullied around hub worlds but apart from that most areas are free PvP zones.

I am for giving as much freedom as possible to players to do what they enjoy doing, will it be raiding other players, shooting down bad guys, mining or trading resources.
I am against entrusting players with too much power aka letting players be the policemen. Also for that trade economy to work a base amount of items is required to exist at the NPC-held trade shops.

I would say reimaging Mass Effect universe with MC voxel based structures and ships, let some basic NPC stuff populate the world initially while let the players populate the rest. This approach tries to find a compromise between all kinds of MC players.

Finally for god's sake dont criticize other visions, it is obvious that they will be different in their core and thus you cannot compare or replace one for another. Which indeed means it might be troublesome to pull out a middle ground. See yes I will let you for example partially bring your visions to life , but only if my vision is also partially brought to life, putting vetos on one another wont get us anywhere, let the others have their way in some places while insist on your opinion in other.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Iv has a valid point; we need a way to stop people from bullying others. It's sort of like if you let Mackeroth and Hyperlite head Russia and the USA in the cold war, and wanted a safe outcome for both of them. That's our task, and we need to figure out how to do it. But I still don't support an NPC world already existing with the players as employees. I'll type up my full vision later.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:19 pm

Iv121 wrote: Finally for god's sake dont criticize other visions
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Tiel wrote:
Iv121 wrote: Finally for god's sake dont criticize other visions
Iv, you can't seriously expect that of a community basically composed entirely of teenagers.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:58 pm

More that it's coming from him of all people, but let's go with that.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm going to critique your vision of the mod, Iv, and I'm going to critique the visions of others. I'm not doing this because I hate you, but because I want to improve my understanding of what you would like, and I want to improve my understanding of what I would like. People always say that the world would be great if we could just get along, live and let live, but that isn't true. We aren't making 40 different mods, the IvFutureCraft and TielFC, we're making Futurecraft, and we need to work together.

So you'll need to excuse me when I say that I will critique your vision, and when I critique Tiel's vision, and everybody's vision. And if I post an idea, I would expect the same from you. I would encourage the same from you. Critique is one of the ways that we can better understand one another, and make diplomatic choices about how to proceed. I think the problem you may have is that you feel insulted when we attack your ideas, and that's understandable. We all feel insulted when others don't like our ideas. So I think what Iv may have meant to say is "Finally, for god's sake don't insult others".

Iv, I may disagree with parts of your ideas, but that doesn't mean I hate you, or that I think your ideas are bad. So no, I'm not going to stop critiquing your ideas, and you aren't going to stop critiquing mine. And I'm not going to critique you because I'm immature, as Vinyl said, but because I'm trying to help you, myself, and the entire mod progress.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Keon wrote:So I think what Iv may have meant to say is "Finally, for god's sake don't insult others".
I took it as such, or at least, I felt he gave the word "criticism" some sort of negative portrayal. I half assumed that he was talking about childish criticisms. And what I said is commonly true, and if, like you said, it doesn't apply to you, I applaud you. I'm not going to act like what I say is always accurate to us. I'm not some sort of all-knowing being, I'm just another person with a bit of freetime and WiFi who thinks he knows a thing or two and if those things happen to be wrong, well I'm wrong and it's good to know when you're wrong so you can fix it. When I have the time I'd be more than happy and willing to put down my ideas for FC and share them with you. As soon as I've comfortably gotten around to what I think is good enough, I'll share it with you all. I apologize for the state of this post, but I'm currently preoccupied by the previously mentioned.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:23 pm

All I want is the infantry combat of Planetside 2, the vehicle combat of Halo, the starfighter combat of Star Wars Battlefront, the capital ship combat of Sins of a Solar Empire, the powers of Mass Effect, the building of Minecraft, the designing of Spore, and the trading of X.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Vinyl's Treatise on Futurecraft

Technological Advancement
Spoiler:
After connecting, the player will spawn on one of the habitable planets in the system (server). On a brand new server, the player(s) will have nothing. They will build from wood to iron, on their way they will see blocks that are very not vanilla. After iron they will be able to make basic mechanical things, similar to the cheaper things in Voltz. Among these new things are simple drilling equipment which will take the place of diamond "tier" (diamond exists but is not as good). Also will be basic industrial machines, fossil-fuel generators, transport belts/pipes, material processors (higher ore yield, more efficient alloy making, create basic mass-produced building material (sheet metal plates that are weaker than stone/metal blocks but are much cheaper). With these new things, would come more advanced (overall better) levels that use more components, more new materials from the previous tiers. This trend would continue the entire game.

Players would "unlock" new tiers by researching. Research can be done by players or NPCs. On crafting tables, there would be a button leading to another screen. This is similar to the enchanting GUI, on the right are new technologies, on the left is an input along with a research point counter. In order to avoid people power-gaming RP and then unlocking FTL travel immediately, there is very few techs available. Listed would be a few really early techs such as a motor, metal alloy, etc that would have a small description, item portrait, RP cost and of course the title of it (the title would be science-y, so like instead of "Coal Generator" it'd be "Fossil Fueled Thermal Electricity" or whatever). Techs would be slightly grayed until the RP needed is available, while upcoming ones would be entirely gray. A mock-up is presented below. You can see that Research Points are displayed in a counter, this would increase as items are researched, and decrease from unlocking new techs. Better items would yield higher RP. Not included is a button to return to the normal crafting table, a button to begin researching the item, a progress bar used by both techs and items, and the "Tier" which is the equivalent "age" the player is at depending on what has been researched. Techs are client/faction specific, so RP and unlocked techs act like enderchests, and when joined to a faction everyone else can then work with the chest (researching items and new techs are controllable by faction leaders as an anti-grief feature). When starting off or during lulls in activity, a hint-like text will appear to help the player. Shown is a hint telling him/her that iron is a good item to put in. These hints could be easily turned off in the game options.

RP and techs are constant regardless of interface used to reach them, the only way to research more than one thing at a time is to use NPCs (or the player equivalent in multi-player factions). These are NPCs that you (or the faction) has hired and designated as Researchers. Researchers require equipment in order to generate things, and do so autonomously at the players' discretion. Techs and items can be queued, and in order for progress to happen. To do starter tech, all is required is that they are designated as scientists, assigned to a building (NPC-specfics are addressed in the Non-Player Character section) with a crafting table in it (the first equipment needed), and a research queue. As tiers progress, their equipment must be compatible. When their equipment becomes outdated, techs and items pertaining to the equipment will cease availability. Upon this happening, they will notify their superior(s).
NOTE: This is a work in progress, expect alterations and additions. NOTE: This piece was set in mind as a topic OP, it is written as such.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:29 am

The reason I said don’t criticize is simply because when it comes to vision your criticism is a wasted effort, keep it for real ideas.

Also Tiel that’s not a laughing matter, I criticize ideas that is true, but when it comes to vision IT IS YOU WHO CRITISIZE ME ALL THE TIME, so keep that laugh to yourself.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:58 am

Iv121 wrote:The reason I said don’t criticize is simply because when it comes to vision your criticism is a wasted effort, keep it for real ideas.

Also Tiel that’s not a laughing matter, I criticize ideas that is true, but when it comes to vision IT IS YOU WHO CRITISIZE ME ALL THE TIME, so keep that laugh to yourself.
Naw, I think you have me beat in that regard ;)

Returning to topic, I don't really have a vision for the mod. I used to, but I think I've posted enough of my thoughts across both boards to know this community is really efficient at turning them into swiss cheese, so I'm pretty neutral at this point unless something's really, really out there.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:13 am

My vision for this mod is we have a download link. Other visions take second priority.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Look, we've- yet again -over thought this. Let's focus on getting space ships into minecraft first, and then adding stuff later. If you want to implement your idea in a code snippet or standalone thing, that's great, and I encourage you to do so. However, tearing the community(such as it is) apart over cities or who insulted who is not something we need to do right now.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 pm

CMA wrote:Look, we've- yet again -over thought this. Let's focus on getting space ships into minecraft first, and then adding stuff later. If you want to implement your idea in a code snippet or standalone thing, that's great, and I encourage you to do so. However, tearing the community(such as it is) apart over cities or who insulted who is not something we need to do right now.
this didn't work as well as I had hoped.