Base Tech Level

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
Base Tech Level

Post by Keon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:13 pm

This was a topic that came up in the skype chat. I'm making a thread so it can be discussed more.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Keon
Developer

Re: Base Tech Level

Post by Keon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:29 pm

The basic summary, and this ties in with the starting location debate earlier:

- Some people felt that FC should start the same way minecraft does.
- Some people felt that FC start should be harder than MC, but at the same tech level.
- Some people felt that FC should start in the space era.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Some people said we should f**k it all and have everything be in space with no ground interaction ever.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 pm

I am of the opinion FC should begin at the same tech level as vanilla minecraft, with mostly the same gameplay with some minor changes.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 am

I say it is dumb to begin space age with stone tools, that is not why ppl DL FC. Get them a tech tree, just made out of futuristic tools. There can be an equivalent of your stone pick or diamond pick, just futurised, because explaining why the hell you run with a stone pick in 2500 or something is beyond me ...

Just to let you know even nowadays when a new miner begins with NOTHING (yes he doesn’t have ANY futuristic digging tools) , the first thing he gets is a drill, it is true later he may buy a tractor or something but at first he gets a drill ,not even a pick.

Tiel wrote:Some people said we should f**k it all and have everything be in space with no ground interaction ever.

Don't try to ridicule it Tiel, it makes sense on a programming level. Though I do not say to get rid of planetary gameplay (Yes Tiel lets quit playing it dumb you pretty much went full rage mode on me specifically), I suggest getting rid of basic MC gameplay in it. You will need industrial amount of iron for example in the very beginning anyway, which means that you will need a strong tool (by MC standards) anyway, which makes the picks obsolete either way you look at it. You can keep them if you want but you WILL add strong mining tools in the very beginning sooner or later, no escape from it, making your pick obsolete either way.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:41 am

Just replace the stone/wood tools with futuristic but equally shit counterparts.

If you want to know where said technology is pulled from, it can be bought from a basic server shop using in game currency, of course this currency would only be used for this, if we want to keep the whole mine everything theme, but can be used to give yourself tools when you don't have any resources or the means to acquire them.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:43 am

The Idea with starting with vanilla levels is that you do not yet have the technology to build a drill because you do not yet know what an 'electric motor' is.
That is what research is for.
In fact, it is MORE realistic to start with stone picks simply because IRL humans didn't mine the materials fr their first drill with a drill.
Starting with vanilla MC would give players the feel of progressing from what is vanilla into main FC gradually, making the learning courve of FC mechanics less steep and more friendly for new players.
And noone is saying people would still use stone picks when they really ARE in space age, because they'd rather use big, vehicle-mounted drills that mine a large tunnel as fast as a diamond pic a tunnel merely large enough for a player.
I think we should NOT remove anything that does not interfere with FC gameplay (e.g. majickz).
If we destroy everything there was before, we may just end up alienating our target audience, namely Minecraft players.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:33 am

Well in IRL humans didnt advance to space age from stone picks in a few hours.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:45 am

Iv121 wrote:Well in IRL humans didnt advance to space age from stone picks in a few hours.
It's pretty apparent that we aren't making a game about IRL humans.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:50 am

The way I see it, a server will start out as stone age humans. They will slowly build up; first to airplanes, then to rockets, and by the time George The Player joins Ivtopia, Ivtopia is in the space stage. But it might need changing; we'll have to see. A possible thing would be that players start at 3 levels below the tech level of the server.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:15 am

Its just a heavy immersion breaker for me that you build up to space in a few hours.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:49 am

Keon wrote:The way I see it, a server will start out as stone age humans. They will slowly build up; first to airplanes, then to rockets, and by the time George The Player joins Ivtopia, Ivtopia is in the space stage. But it might need changing; we'll have to see. A possible thing would be that players start at 3 levels below the tech level of the server.
This, why would we do it any other way? Also, sorry for missing the thing, my dog got hit by a car yesterday.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:00 am

Mh, first of all, sorry for your dog. :s
But really, there wasn't too much going on, only that good old city argument and the mentioning of some other topics. You didn't miss much.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:54 pm

CMA wrote:
Keon wrote:The way I see it, a server will start out as stone age humans. They will slowly build up; first to airplanes, then to rockets, and by the time George The Player joins Ivtopia, Ivtopia is in the space stage. But it might need changing; we'll have to see. A possible thing would be that players start at 3 levels below the tech level of the server.
This, why would we do it any other way?
This ^
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:06 pm

Well, if the server already has a certain tech level, the newbies could just join those factions and do that mutual profit thingy, right?
In my opinion, when a certain tech level is part the prototype-phase it should be possible to mass produce it.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.