Base Tech Level

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: Base Tech Level

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Saravanth wrote:Well, if the server already has a certain tech level, the newbies could just join those factions and do that mutual profit thingy, right?
In my opinion, when a certain tech level is part the prototype-phase it should be possible to mass produce it.
Yes, that is cool, but we are talking whether a brand-new server would already have access to industrial-era tech.
Vinyl wrote:
CMA wrote:
Keon wrote:The way I see it, a server will start out as stone age humans. They will slowly build up; first to airplanes, then to rockets, and by the time George The Player joins Ivtopia, Ivtopia is in the space stage. But it might need changing; we'll have to see. A possible thing would be that players start at 3 levels below the tech level of the server.
This, why would we do it any other way?
This ^
Also this ^
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Saravanth wrote:Well, if the server already has a certain tech level, the newbies could just join those factions and do that mutual profit thingy, right?
In my opinion, when a certain tech level is part the prototype-phase it should be possible to mass produce it.
Yes, that is cool, but we are talking whether a brand-new server would already have access to industrial-era tech.
Rather not. Like already mentioned, brand new servers should start out from basic vanilla minecraft. From there, their technological level can rise and fall,
depending on the circumstances like, for an example, encounter with more advanced factions from other servers (either friendly or hostile) or wars in general (*cough* library of alexandria*cough*).

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:49 am

Lostech.

New servers need time to develop- build cities and gather resources, learn through trial-and-error, even if it only takes a few days. If not I think they'll just be overwhelmed, like the first time you try creative mode with a new mod. "I don't know what any of this stuff does, and I have no idea how any of it works."
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:07 am

catsonmeth wrote:Lostech.

New servers need time to develop- build cities and gather resources, learn through trial-and-error, even if it only takes a few days. If not I think they'll just be overwhelmed, like the first time you try creative mode with a new mod. "I don't know what any of this stuff does, and I have no idea how any of it works."
Yes. You can't throw drills at people who don't even know how to charge a battery yet.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:39 am

That's my point! :D

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 am

I dont think someone who can build a ship in an hour doesnt know how to cahgne a battery, thats playing dumb with the player.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 am

Iv121 wrote:I dont think someone who can build a ship in an hour doesnt know how to cahgne a battery, thats playing dumb with the player.
If they can build a ship, that skill is still useless without knowing how to use basic stuff. And I once knew a guy whomcould improvise and cook a fantastic meal, but was incapable of following a recepie.

Frankly, if you know how, building up to a decent tech level will be easy enough.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm going to reassert that we shouldn't do the epoch thing. It's a waste of time to make the players use stepping stone technology that immediately become worthless when another technology that fills the exact same niche comes along. I still think research and tech progressions are a good idea, but there should still be a point to keeping level 1 stuff around once you are further along. That's why I liked the idea of specialization trees so much.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I'm going to reassert that we shouldn't do the epoch thing. It's a waste of time to make the players use stepping stone technology that immediately become worthless when another technology that fills the exact same niche comes along. I still think research and tech progressions are a good idea, but there should still be a point to keeping level 1 stuff around once you are further along. That's why I liked the idea of specialization trees so much.
An iron picaxe would be much easier to make and use than, say, a mining platform, even though it would take much longer to procure materials. Simple tech can be used in emergencies. Other than that, maybe items can be broken down or modernized as servers advance.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *