Air/Vacuum Simulation

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Air/Vacuum Simulation

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 pm

I dont see how it is important, walls are not going to collapse from it because we cannot simulate such things in MC with our knowledge, you got the oxygen to kill you instead, what role does it play ? Upper atmosphere also got thin air, I see no reason to burden ourselves with pressure in addition to that, especially because you cant simulate anything pressure related.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Iv121 wrote:I dont see how it is important, walls are not going to collapse from it because we cannot simulate such things in MC with our knowledge, you got the oxygen to kill you instead, what role does it play ? Upper atmosphere also got thin air, I see no reason to burden ourselves with pressure in addition to that, especially because you cant simulate anything pressure related.
Well we can simulate death pretty well. It would take time to fill a ship's interior, activating a life support unit and suddenly having a habitable space is just meh. We could have planets with low atmosphere, where a player would need a pressurized suit but could still use air from the environment, and if we ever add submarines and deep oceans we could use high-pressure, too. There could be negative effects from rapid changes, forcing players to consider the dangers of frequent high-altitude flight.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:29 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Iv121 wrote:I dont see how it is important, walls are not going to collapse from it because we cannot simulate such things in MC with our knowledge, you got the oxygen to kill you instead, what role does it play ? Upper atmosphere also got thin air, I see no reason to burden ourselves with pressure in addition to that, especially because you cant simulate anything pressure related.
Well we can simulate death pretty well. It would take time to fill a ship's interior, activating a life support unit and suddenly having a habitable space is just meh. We could have planets with low atmosphere, where a player would need a pressurized suit but could still use air from the environment, and if we ever add submarines and deep oceans we could use high-pressure, too. There could be negative effects from rapid changes, forcing players to consider the dangers of frequent high-altitude flight.
I second that

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:32 pm

I find it unneeded complexity, just like having multiple currencies, all that means is you carrying more suits around, perhaps even the same suit which completely defeats the point again, so either way you look at it it is not bringing anything new to the table.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Iv121 wrote:I find it unneeded complexity, just like having multiple currencies, all that means is you carrying more suits around, perhaps even the same suit which completely defeats the point again, so either way you look at it it is not bringing anything new to the table.
I don't see how it defeats the point at all. If we make it possible to always be protected by a suit then there's no point in having any differentiation between vacuum and air at all.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:51 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Iv121 wrote:I find it unneeded complexity, just like having multiple currencies, all that means is you carrying more suits around, perhaps even the same suit which completely defeats the point again, so either way you look at it it is not bringing anything new to the table.
I don't see how it defeats the point at all. If we make it possible to always be protected by a suit then there's no point in having any differentiation between vacuum and air at all.
Wearing a space suit? Depleting your air tanks.

Refill? Yeah, go find an oxygen compressor and refill there.

What?

No, those aren't on ships. Go find a planet.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Commander Error wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
Wearing a space suit? Depleting your air tanks.

Refill? Yeah, go find an oxygen compressor and refill there.

What?

No, those aren't on ships. Go find a planet.
They should totally be on ships, what are you talking about?
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Keon wrote: They should totally be on ships, what are you talking about?
You can have them on ships, but they would drain from larger oxygen tanks that you would have to refill on a planet.
While it is true you can recycle air in a spaceship, you can't get the oxygen out of it that simply.

In fact, the most effective method of getting pure oxygen is electrolyzation of water.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
You can have them on ships, but they would drain from larger oxygen tanks that you would have to refill on a planet.
While it is true you can recycle air in a spaceship, you can't get the oxygen out of it that simply.

In fact, the most effective method of getting pure oxygen is electrolyzation of water.
How does having to refill from a planet aid the gameplay?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm with Iv on this.

Simulating pressure is one of those mechanics that'd be purely for the sake of realism and wouldn't serve to increase enjoyment at all.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Agree. If you want partial depressurization, just have some of the oxygen liquid vanish.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Keon wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:

How does having to refill from a planet aid the gameplay?
Refilling from a planet would be the easiest and fastest way to get breathable air. Could we add gas values instead of just having air? Percentage of nitrogen, oxygen, CO2, etc.?
— David Langford
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:37 pm

This is rapidly becoming way more complicated than 'block of air. Block of air is touching block of vacuum. Block of air is now block of vacuum'.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

There were problems with that, but I think that's the basic idea, yeah.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:46 am

Kdapt-Preacher wrote:This is rapidly becoming way more complicated than 'block of air. Block of air is touching block of vacuum. Block of air is now block of vacuum'.
If it was as simple as that though I donut there would even be a discussion about that, again you have no way to refill air back in like this.