Air/Vacuum Simulation

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: Air/Vacuum Simulation

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:13 am

Iv121 wrote:
Kdapt-Preacher wrote:This is rapidly becoming way more complicated than 'block of air. Block of air is touching block of vacuum. Block of air is now block of vacuum'.
If it was as simple as that though I donut there would even be a discussion about that, again you have no way to refill air back in like this.
Unless you make the game distinguish between space-vacuum and sealed-vacuum, where space-vacuum instantly turns any air into more space-vacuum and sealed vacuum gets turned into air upon being touched by it.

Now, that would still require the same checks of when an area is sealed as Iv's proposal, which does basically the same (gameplay-wise) with less calculation.

As a result, we got nowhere.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Space filling fluids: Easy
Calculating global pressure loss: Easy
Calculating localized pressure loss/flow rate: Hard
Getting a good balance between realistic flow rates and useful flow rates: Hard (Probably)

If the smallest opening for air to pass through is 1x1 m^2, that will allow for a huge amount of air displacement. Most airlocks would be instant. Is that really what we want to model?

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:34 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:Space filling fluids: Easy
Calculating global pressure loss: Easy
Calculating localized pressure loss/flow rate: Hard
Getting a good balance between realistic flow rates and useful flow rates: Hard (Probably)

If the smallest opening for air to pass through is 1x1 m^2, that will allow for a huge amount of air displacement. Most airlocks would be instant. Is that really what we want to model?
Maybe it is... It is Minecraft after all. No need to complicate everything.
This is a signature.