City Generation/Construction

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.

Should cities be generated by the computer?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Yes, cities should be generated as part of terrain generation, similar to how villages generate now.
10%
No, cities should be built by players.
90%

Total votes: 10

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Re: City Generation/Construction

Post by Error » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:14 pm

I would like to toss in my two cents: I vote no generated cities.

One, there is really no need for a huge city for NPCs when a little starport does the same thing at a lower RAM cost.

Two, time spent coding the generation programming could be spent elsewhere.

Three, we are open world. Railroading players is bad - abd I agree with Keon, things are actually more fun with entirely player made worlds.

Four, there is no need to generate cities that will only ever be populated by NPCs. Player built villages are small for a reason.

Just my thoughts.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:26 am

Well I adressed all of them before which means ppl dont read.

One by one Error:

1. The huge cities are in fact just a starport with a city scenery, you ask why do I make it then ? Because it makes the world feel more living and authentic, look at mass effect, you are also given to walk only a small part of a city there.

2. It is not as much time as you think and this can be said about anything we will discuss here in the next few months.

3. We are not railroading players, they have full freedom anywhere in the game. Now on top of that anywhere add those cities, it is true that you are limited there but hey you are NOT LIMITED ANYWHERE ELSE, which means that it is truly not a limitation.

4. They will not be populated by NPCs, they will not be populated at all. Again the reason why they are there is to make the world feel living as well as give the players a change of pace, letting them explore different settings. Yes it is true the size of this setting is limited but that doesn’t mean we cannot let the player explore it, like an adventure map.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:07 am

Well we could always build the city on the FC home world manually.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:12 am

That'd be a ghost city, Iv. Ghost cities suck.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Error

Post by Error » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:41 am

Frankly, Iv, having a ghost city to make things feel more real is pointless if that is all it is: a ghost city. It's scenery. Mountains, rivers, and forests are also scenery. It serves no real purpose, as a starport with NPCs serves that purpose, and having a false city just feels off, at least to me.

Also, I have never played M.E.

Proto, It's likely that if we have an FC home server beyond data management, the city(ies) will be hand and worldedit built.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:18 am

Iv121 wrote:Well I adressed all of them before which means ppl dont read.

One by one Error:

1. The huge cities are in fact just a starport with a city scenery, you ask why do I make it then ? Because it makes the world feel more living and authentic, look at mass effect, you are also given to walk only a small part of a city there.
You offer a starport with a backdrop. Letting players make cities means a starport with a city.
Iv121 wrote:2. It is not as much time as you think and this can be said about anything we will discuss here in the next few months.
Spaceships, needed. Players can't build their own from pistons. Shields; needed. Players can't build their own from pistons. Weapons, pretty much needed cause TNT would get dull. Mining equipment: needed. Can't really be built from vanilla pistons. Town Generation: Not needed. Can be built with blocks and pistons. I realize that generation is something that you can almost certainly do, but I just think that our generation abilities should be spent on the world around the players, and let players develop that world how they choose.
Iv121 wrote:3. We are not railroading players, they have full freedom anywhere in the game. Now on top of that anywhere add those cities, it is true that you are limited there but hey you are NOT LIMITED ANYWHERE ELSE, which means that it is truly not a limitation.
I guess you can say that by the same argument, villages railroad players, but I don't know.
Iv121 wrote:4. They will not be populated by NPCs, they will not be populated at all. Again the reason why they are there is to make the world feel living as well as give the players a change of pace, letting them explore different settings. Yes it is true the size of this setting is limited but that doesn’t mean we cannot let the player explore it, like an adventure map.
So it's a dead city, abandoned? Why not add crumbling ruins to it and make it a dungeon? That is something I'd agree with. But I think a ghost city that handles all starport things is the wrong way to go. Instead, have humans build the starport.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 am

Keon wrote: You offer a starport with a backdrop. Letting players make cities means a starport with a city.
The size of a fully accessible city built this way will be childish compared to the size of Omega or that Asari city you can see in ME, or the one I hoped to build.
Keon wrote: So it's a dead city, abandoned? Why not add crumbling ruins to it and make it a dungeon? That is something I'd agree with. But I think a ghost city that handles all starport things is the wrong way to go. Instead, have humans build the starport.
No it will look perfectly living, does Omega or that Asari city look abandoned to you ?

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Keon, the point Iv is having is that you won't be able to access the city, but instead only will be capable of visiting the starport.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Iv121 wrote:does Omega or that Asari city look abandoned to you ?
No, because THERE ARE NPCS AND CHARACTERS THERE. It does not look living because of the scenery, it looks living because of the believable NPCs and characters you can find and interact with. Even in the scenery, aircars are flying around.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:12 pm

They were also painstakingly modeled & textured over the course of the game's three years in development, see: not procedurally generated boxes.
Your Mass Effect comparison is broken.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm

we aren't making mass effect.

Not thinking generated cities are a good idea, I want cities, but we should let the players build them.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Prototype wrote:we aren't making mass effect.

Not thinking generated cities are a good idea, I want cities, but we should let the players build them.
And before Iv says this is impossible, I point thee to the example of Futureville. Built by, what, 10 people at most? WorldEdit was used, but as I understand it, FC will have automated construction of a similar nature.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Commander Error wrote:
Prototype wrote:we aren't making mass effect.

And before Iv says this is impossible, I point thee to the example of Futureville. Built by, what, 10 people at most? WorldEdit was used, but as I understand it, FC will have automated construction of a similar nature.
hey, look at Mack's I.C.C.whatever, that was built by one person, we can definately build cities.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Tiel wrote:They were also painstakingly modeled & textured over the course of the game's three years in development, see: not procedurally generated boxes.
Your Mass Effect comparison is broken.

You can download a full scale Normandy SR-2 that looks no worse than the original, also does that mean you question my building skills ? Because by generating I only mean randomizing the appearance of handcrafted structures, that is your futureville isn't it Error ?

I guess that puts to an end your later arguments unless you plan to alter them again for which I will just need to alter my response yet again. There is no real reason as to not include those cities, the only reason that there is truly present is that they were never part of your original vision which is why you have trouble accepting it.

And just to completely prove that your argument is wrong tiel:
Spoiler:

As for Vinyl's argument you are right that the characters made ME good, but again we are not ME, we just added additional future called "cities with scenery that happened to also be in ME". I could as well state any other game with space cities that came into my mind.

Alright now ppl Im all warmed up, bring it on next set of arguments ! ;)

Error

Post by Error » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Why do you want these cities so badly?

I mean, all they do is use up a planet, because you can't do anything on said planet aside from land at a spaceport.

There is no point to them. We're not even certain that hub worlds (or whatever) will even happen. No hubs, no prebuilt stuff. And one of the main ideas of FC is open worldiness.