City Generation/Construction

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.

Should cities be generated by the computer?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Yes, cities should be generated as part of terrain generation, similar to how villages generate now.
10%
No, cities should be built by players.
90%

Total votes: 10

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: City Generation/Construction

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Again it doesnt limit open worldness simply because it didnt exist in that open world, meaning it only adds up on top of it.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Iv121 wrote:I guess that puts to an end your later arguments
I think we've been over this before, but I just want to remind you that this is perhaps your single worst feature and one of the most annoying conversational habits I've ever encountered. Please, this process will be much more pleasant for everyone involved if you can try not to do that.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Everyone's presented their points, and the majority of people here are not in favor of generated cities.

Discussion should really be over now, this is only going to pointlessly escalate from here on out.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Kdapt-Preacher wrote: I think we've been over this before, but I just want to remind you that this is perhaps your single worst feature and one of the most annoying conversational habits I've ever encountered. Please, this process will be much more pleasant for everyone involved if you can try not to do that.
Well otherwise its an endless cycle, you gonna modify your argument just to circumvent my answer and I will have to do the same with my answer, all that I wrote back there is nothing new, I wrote it 100 times before for each and every single one of you individually, I could say that this is your annoying future.

As for the decision its fine that you veto mine just remember that I have a right to veto one of yours later on, as we are all equal contributors to the project assuming we all complete that java book, I belive that would be fair for both sides.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Iv121 wrote: As for the decision its fine that you veto mine just remember that I have a right to veto one of yours later on, as we are all equal contributors to the project assuming we all complete that java book, I belive that would be fair for both sides.
Not really, no. You don't have the right to veto anything just because one of your ideas didn't get popular approval. That'd be stupid.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:20 pm

Well we wont get anywhere at this rate, I would just say "sry guys I don’t want to contribute to a project that doesn’t go with my vision" , then some other guy will say the same because you disagreed with him and you will end up with no modding team. It is fine that majority rules but minorities have also rights , and don’t blame me that I try to force dictatorship because that is part of the definition of democracy. If I give up my position in favor to you you are expected to do the same in due time, you cant get everything.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well we wont get anywhere at this rate, I would just say "sry guys I don’t want to contribute to a project that doesn’t go with my vision" , then some other guy will say the same because you disagreed with him and you will end up with no modding team. It is fine that majority rules but minorities have also rights , and don’t blame me that I try to force dictatorship because that is part of the definition of democracy. If I give up my position in favor to you you are expected to do the same in due time, you cant get everything.
Make no mistake, you're not doing this as a favor to anyone; you could keep on arguing if you want to. But when people come together as a group and come to a consensus one way or the other the decision is final regardless of how much you holler and stomp your feet. If that's not a system of accord that interests you, then by all means, the door is right over there. Because no one's going to give you the ability to overrule any discussion just by virtue of the majority not ruling in your favor on one particular occasion.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Please don't act all high and mighty about this, and how you are the only one willing to compromise. You'll remember that when I had a different view from the majority of the team (I wanted to keep the nether and zombies and such), I yielded to the popular demand. And I thank you for recognizing that you need to work with us - that shows a lot more maturity than most of us have. I can only hope the rest of us will be able to do the same when the time comes.

You bring up great points, and your talent isn't something to be ignored, so I don't want you to think that I hate you. And we're going to need your ability to generate these things if we do something like ruins or abandoned spaceships. I think your main point was that the generator could create more impressive scenery than players, and that may be true. But I don't think cities are the only thing you could do to make scenery amazing. Ruined planets, desert worlds, everything. All things that will just serve to achieve the same thing, but still let everybody be happy.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:42 pm

I just want to get the respect and recognition I deserve. And making ruined cities is going to achieve the exact opposite of what I wanted to - make the world feel dead and apocalyptic .

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:07 pm

How about a simple vote? Keon, can you make us a poll with a yes/no, and we can just go via the majority?

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Poll is up; please vote.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm not sure how long this should stay up, but a few days seems enough.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Note that "cities" in this context don't affect ruins in any way.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:32 am

Prob is it seems like nobody else is going to take on it and I am full against ruins so that vote means both are out. Also Id rather rename it to purely "Yes I want generated cities" "no I don’t" because it is not a choice between player made and generated cities, player made cities are in here anyway, nobody is going to limit that, the question was if there will be generated cities in a addition.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 am

I had an idea about cities and construction and NPCs and whatnot a few months ago, back when there was still a little glimmer of hope. Can't really remember what it was but IIRC it was pretty brilliant, as are all of my ideas.

I just skimmed the 5 pages you people have put up in two days, but here's my idea. Sorry if it's been suggested.

How about we add little NPC villages that can evolve and turn into cities as time passes if there's player planning. It would basically be like a seed, just an area of land that already has a name (not sure how naming would work, maybe it's named when a player happens across it) a few buildings arranged in a not-completely-retarded way, and some NPCs, which can be used to gather resources and build larger, more complex buildings. The buildings can come from blueprints, like we're planning shipyards, except there would be more pre-planned.

Or maybe small cities, larger than towns but not as large as what players need.

Maybe the question shouldn't be "Should there be generated cities," but rather, "How can we make players build cities, how do we make cities profitable and fun?"

One way to do it is to give each building a unique, necessary attribute. Maybe banks are the only way to store large amounts of currency. Apartment complexes could be an easy way to generate NPCs, schools make higher-level NPCs. Make vehicles and parts impossible to store in player inventory, so that they need to be stored in warehouses. Factories would be necessary to build those vehicles and parts, making it impossible for anyone that doesn't have a factory to manufacture fighters and tanks. Libraries for storing blueprints, ports for drydocking.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *