City Generation/Construction

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.

Should cities be generated by the computer?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Yes, cities should be generated as part of terrain generation, similar to how villages generate now.
10%
No, cities should be built by players.
90%

Total votes: 10

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: City Generation/Construction

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Heh you clearly didn’t get what I said eh ? "I know what you'll say 'Iv you whine' but in all honesty I do not whine I just request you to co-operate with me more often" "Iv you whine" , great job there error.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:36 pm

That was more me than error, co-operation goes both ways.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey you can't blame me of being un-cooperative, it is a mere mathematically proven fact (aka counted, such advanced math !) that there are disproportionally more ideas you rejected than accepted from me, so want it or not all I have left is being co-operative.

As for wanting to be co-operative I loose that will the more of my stuff gets rejected, to the point Ill fight about every single tinny idea of mine until at least something passes through, if I wont nothing will ever pass ! Yes it sets me on collision course with you but it's hardly avoidable. Im not the type who can sit quietly and do what he’s told to do like a mindless mob, so if nothing will ever slip by all I can do is just keep fighting and complaining about it in the process ...

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:04 pm

People are arguing about arguing again. You're thinking too black-and-white. We need to either find a way to compromise- middle ground- or figure out the implications of each of the ideas and discard whatever factors don't work. Think about ways to make ideas actually function, the mechanics behind it. See if your mechanics work better than those behind the other idea.

The means are more important the the ends. We want cities, we need something to promote the building of cities. We don't want them to be torn to shreds by PVP, we need ways to defend them.

More brainstorming, less shit throwing. We're all working toward the same goal
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Don't assume everything you suggest is gold dust, that's a recipe for disaster, you repeated the same thing over and over, your words not mine, doesn't that seem a little... Well, off, to you?

Don't fight, improve, if you just repeat the same thing over and over you don't improve. Better to improve an idea to a workable format than fight for an unworkable version.

I've never had an idea accepted, and the ideas that go through aren't from one person, they are ususally improved by others, not a single accepts idea is in its original format, I'll bet 200 k'lii on that.

Also, what cats said.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Iv121 wrote:Hey you can't blame me of being un-cooperative, it is a mere mathematically proven fact (aka counted, such advanced math !) that there are disproportionally more ideas you rejected than accepted from me, so want it or not all I have left is being co-operative.

As for wanting to be co-operative I loose that will the more of my stuff gets rejected, to the point Ill fight about every single tinny idea of mine until at least something passes through, if I wont nothing will ever pass ! Yes it sets me on collision course with you but it's hardly avoidable. Im not the type who can sit quietly and do what he’s told to do like a mindless mob, so if nothing will ever slip by all I can do is just keep fighting and complaining about it in the process ...
From the top.

We can indeed blame you for being uncooperative. Your ideas are not favoured by the majority of the community, ergo they don't get in. It's hardly our fault you fight those votes.

Yes, a fair few of us reject a lot of your ideas. The reason behind this, simply, is that we don't like them. Nothing more or less.

"Nothing will ever pass". Contrarily enough, if we like an idea, guess what it will do. You guessed it: pass. And again, your ideas get rejected for a very simple reason: majority disagrees.

Nobody's asking you to sit quietly and mindlessly do what you're told. Well, nobody that I know of, anyway. And fighting isn't akways the way; try altering your ideas or thoughts slightly, and see if people like the new concept. Arguing a point people don't like will accomplish precisely SFA.

Also, seeing as this thread and poll has run its course, are there any objections to my locking this topic?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Yes, until we figure this out you will get this brought up on every single topic where I post my ideas. That is why this topic will remain open and temporarily host this thing , why here ? otherwise you break the flow of the discussion.

I altered my ideas countless times and countless times got rejected. See the logic is simple error - if I get rejected all the time I just have nothing of mine in this mod, a mod Im trying to made that is not for me , never had anything of mine and never will have, do you see any reason for me to work on it ? Its true I wont quit even if all of my ideas will get rejected simply because Im not like that , but nevertheless that was forcing your opinion upon me, and even worse making me do it for you, intentionally or not abusing my personality to force me to do those ideas of yours for you.

Once Ill have stuff of mine inside the mod Ill stop resisting and agree with you because it is the fair thing to do, otherwise I will keep fighting for every single one of my ideas until at least something passes.

Error

Post by Error » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Iv, you're hardly the only one with rejected ideas. As proto said, most of us go through this cycle:

1. Idea is presented, and turned down.

2. Other member imoroves or changes idea. Turned down or considered.

3. Several members work to improve idea. Idea is generally accepted.

Or, if nobody likes it at all, it falls off the face of the earth.
I've had none of my ideas aclcepted in their original format, saving maybe 1. You're not a minority fighting the majority dictatorship, you're a group of one pushing for your original, unchanged and disliked idea. Cats said it best, identify a problem or goal, and work towars that.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Well as I told you my ideas changed 1000 times over, and I literally saw some of my ideas getting accepted unchanged when they were posted by other people, so much for disliking it huh ?

Either way Ill go to sleep now, I specify it because it turned into a dialogue me with the rest of you and mainly Error, which is why you'd prob like to know your partner wont respond till tomorrow.

Also the fact that someone's ideas got never accepted does not make that fair ! It was unfair towards him too, and no not everyone gets their ideas rejected all the time.
Last edited by Iv121 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:48 pm

It's alright. I'm pretty sure no one is writing any of this down.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Okay so Cities. They're a good thing, and should be made (at least under the control of) players.

Q: How will we make players want to build cities? What's their motivation?

I recommend that we make buildings necessary for much of the major activities of a faction, like manufacturing and mass NPC spawning. We could make it so that vehicles must be built in a factory and cannot be placed into a players inventory. Much more could be said on this topic.

Q: How do we prevent city destruction?

Since they're a pretty major point in a faction's being, the players should have to formulate their own defenses. It is the dev team's responsibility to add the means to do it. Some contributing factors could be NPC police, city shields, and automatic turrets. Another way is to prevent PvP altogether, but that would really lessen the realism and fun of warfare. We could prevent PvP only in some systems, but that lessens the continuity of the galaxy.

Q: Ruins?

Ruins would be made as the game progresses, yes, but a new city can be built on the foundation of the fallen. Naturally generated ruins could be a nice way to plant a seed for a city.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Well on the end only ideas worth using will be implemented, and at that point I guarantee nobody will give a flying fuck who came up with them as long as the end result is good.

And isn't all this technically written down?.

As for those questions:

A1: I imagine power will be a key factor, you'll stretch every ounce of use out of what power you have, and cities would be an example. If that made any sense whatsoever.

A2: difficult, I gather NPCs aren't popular among certain members. Perhaps people need a "permit" to change anything in a city, otherwise they get chewed up by the defences

A3: totally agree, adding ruined cities should actually encourage the building of cities, why build the framework when it is already there? Of course we couldn't have many, but that's make them valuable property.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm

I can't really think of a better way for city construction than NPCs, and they would prevent ghost cities, work in factories, etc. Vandalism and unwarranted construction could be made illegal, another use for police NPCs or another method of automated defense.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Insert some handwavium about forcefields, and out in grief protection?

Or maybe just have ssntry bots that zot anyone who vandalizes?

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Can we make a new topic for city protection, and then lock this one? It seems pretty much settled, and honestly I think it just needs to go away for a while.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -