City Generation/Construction

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.

Should cities be generated by the computer?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Yes, cities should be generated as part of terrain generation, similar to how villages generate now.
10%
No, cities should be built by players.
90%

Total votes: 10

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: City Generation/Construction

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 am

catsonmeth wrote:I had an idea about cities and construction and NPCs and whatnot a few months ago, back when there was still a little glimmer of hope. Can't really remember what it was but IIRC it was pretty brilliant, as are all of my ideas.

I just skimmed the 5 pages you people have put up in two days, but here's my idea. Sorry if it's been suggested.

How about we add little NPC villages that can evolve and turn into cities as time passes if there's player planning. It would basically be like a seed, just an area of land that already has a name (not sure how naming would work, maybe it's named when a player happens across it) a few buildings arranged in a not-completely-retarded way, and some NPCs, which can be used to gather resources and build larger, more complex buildings. The buildings can come from blueprints, like we're planning shipyards, except there would be more pre-planned.

Or maybe small cities, larger than towns but not as large as what players need.

Maybe the question shouldn't be "Should there be generated cities," but rather, "How can we make players build cities, how do we make cities profitable and fun?"

One way to do it is to give each building a unique, necessary attribute. Maybe banks are the only way to store large amounts of currency. Apartment complexes could be an easy way to generate NPCs, schools make higher-level NPCs. Make vehicles and parts impossible to store in player inventory, so that they need to be stored in warehouses. Factories would be necessary to build those vehicles and parts, making it impossible for anyone that doesn't have a factory to manufacture fighters and tanks. Libraries for storing blueprints, ports for drydocking.
Don't forget labs for my villager-research system that surprisingly noone seems to have a major problem with.
I still don't have any good ideas of telling the villagers what area to use as a lab, so this might be it.
It would also mean that Villagers could possibly repair demaged buildings, as their shape would be pre-determined by blueprints.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:21 am

There was a mod that did something like it, I never liked it.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Keon wrote:There was a mod that did something like it, I never liked it.
Okay. Why not?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Okay. Why not?
I don't know, it wasn't my thing. It's possible that we could do something like it, but it involves more AI than I care to implement.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Keon wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
Okay. Why not?
I don't know, it wasn't my thing. It's possible that we could do something like it, but it involves more AI than I care to implement.
Maybe you mean Millenaire?
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Keon wrote: I don't know, it wasn't my thing. It's possible that we could do something like it, but it involves more AI than I care to implement.
Maybe you mean Millenaire?
That's the one.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Well they were indeed tinny, the kingdom mod was much more to my liking, again it felt more living, it wasn’t necessarily bigger.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well they were indeed tinny, the kingdom mod was much more to my liking, again it felt more living, it wasn’t necessarily bigger.
Do you mean Tales of The Kingdoms? I think that was the name. If it's the one I'm thinking of, WTF? More living than Millenaire? You're mad.

Millenaire buildings are all built from very specific blueprints. They're not randomly generated, just randomly positioned, and even there there's a reason to it. That said, Millenaire is far and away the most advanced NPC/village/what have you mod that has ever existed for Minecraft, and it's one of the post popular because of it. We could do worse than copy some of Kinniken's mechanics.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 pm

I'd like to reintroduce the old idea of battleground cities. Cities or perhaps even entire worlds cloned from player-made worlds, but depopulated and unprotected, and possibly filtered through some sort of weathering algorithm to make it look like ruins. This would give pvp players a cool arena to go wild in without trashing all the dedicated build worlds.

Procedurally building cities from templates for anything more complicated than the villages we already have would be very difficult to do well.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Well again by generate I merely mean randomize the locations of the buildings from a large set of schematic-like builds. As for ruins they again for the 100th time are doing the exact opposite of what I want - we are not making a fallout in space for god's sake, Im tired of depressing settings. Fallout at least had some humor in it ...
Last edited by Iv121 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 pm

I like ruins
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Well Im tired of them, if I'll start to count all of that post apocalyptic indie storm we got right now I'll prob keep rolling till HL3 comes out. Im really fking tired of them, and by the tiem we finish this thing up most gamers will also be tired of them.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Iv121 wrote:of what I want
Fundamental problem here. Your wishes are not the only ones that matter.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well Im tired of them, if I'll start to count all of that post apocalyptic indie storm we got right now I'll prob keep rolling till HL3 comes out. Im really fking tired of them, and by the tiem we finish this thing up most gamers will also be tired of them.
Ruins =\= post apocolypse, I thought that was completely fucking obvious. There's a balance to be made.

I mean seriously, this is way in the future we are talking about, shit will have gone down, stuff will be wrecked, ruins would be there.

I'll say it again.

Ruins =\= post apocalypse.

We won't be making everything ruins

Just adding them here and there
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Iv, proto has a point. Ruins and apocalypses are not necessarily tied together.

As in, it's not an apocalypse if I drop a friendly little orbital strike on a city, but it's still pretty well ruined.

Plis, poll sez we likely won't have generated cities at all.