Why are we removing things

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
Why are we removing things

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:21 pm

So right now, in the doc, we have:
Remove all armor
Remove ALL TEH MAGICKS
No other dimensions, hostile and neutral mobs removed except creepers, wolves and (possibly) silverfish
We're going to have to do enough changes as it is, so I'm wondering why people think it's worth removing.

Remove all armor: I can see this, but only if Tier 1 comes pretty much at the same time as Tier 0, so that it's really not that different.
Remove all magic: Again, why remove something that's already there? We could just change how entering the nether works, rather than, yknow, deleting it. Same goes for enchanting and potions. Maybe make them further along the tech tree? A branch of magecraft? The End, I agree with.
Remove all hostile and neutral mobs: What the actual crap? WHY? WHY? Somebody, please please explain the reasoning behind that.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Re: Why are we removing things

Post by Solar112 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:38 pm

they aren't realistic.
As for the nether, we could move that underground, with a small bedrock cube in the centre.
I'm fairly sure we're going to have several tiers occurring at the same time, or slightly overlapping.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:47 pm

High Lictor Solaris wrote:they aren't realistic.
As for the nether, we could move that underground, with a small bedrock cube in the centre.
I'm fairly sure we're going to have several tiers occurring at the same time, or slightly overlapping.
Spaceships aren't realistic.

Basically, we are making a minecraft mod. IMO, we should start out close to vanilla minecraft, but then get better and better until spaceships.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Keon wrote:

Basically, we are making a minecraft mod. IMO, we should start out close to vanilla minecraft, but then get better and better until spaceships.
I agree with you, but magic needs to be significantly nerfed/changed/removed, unless we're going for a WH40k warp thing here.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:15 pm

CMA wrote:
Keon wrote:

I agree with you, but magic needs to be significantly nerfed/changed/removed, unless we're going for a WH40k warp thing here.
Yeah, I think the system would have to branch off at the internal combustion tech level or so.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Because none of it fits the theme of Futurecraft. There's a long thread about this somewhere; the debate was pretty much concluded a long time ago.

JEDIT: Not so long as I remembered. http://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t550- ... oval-ideas
Last edited by  ҉  on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Creepers ought to stay; they're arguably the most iconic part of Minecraft. Silverfish (more or less), wolves and horses exist IRL, so they should stay. The rest (other than most of the passive mobs, of course) don't fit with the theme enough to stay. But if we could replace them with something more sci-fi-y, that'd be great.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Argonian
IGN:TinkerPox

Post by TinkerPox » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Tau wrote:Creepers ought to stay; they're arguably the most iconic part of Minecraft. Silverfish (more or less), wolves and horses exist IRL, so they should stay. The rest (other than most of the passive mobs, of course) don't fit with the theme enough to stay. But if we could replace them with something more sci-fi-y, that'd be great.
Like cannibals or savages?

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Don't fit with the theme enough to stay? Minecraft should stay minecraft; changing it to "Cannibals and savages and raiders" is stupid. Add them on later, on harder difficulties, sure, but please don't remove the ability to play Minecraft normally.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 pm

This is getting back to the question of whether Futurecraft is a modification of Minecraft that remains basically Minecraft and just happens to add more stuff than Minecraft itself contains or whether it's its own thing that uses Minecraft as a base. My impression was that it was drifting hard towards the second option, but that's a question that will have to actually be given a definitive answer at some point.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:28 pm

IIRC Mack thought we should still be able to play Minecraft in FC.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Keon wrote:Don't fit with the theme enough to stay? Minecraft should stay minecraft; changing it to "Cannibals and savages and raiders" is stupid. Add them on later, on harder difficulties, sure, but please don't remove the ability to play Minecraft normally.
Some things are going to be more difficult to preserve than others. The Nether and The End in particular will be difficult to mesh with finite, escapable planets, both mechanically and thematically. I say we remove them, but replace it with something that fills the same niche, but on our terms. I think alternate dimensions reachable through the stargate network rather than man-sized terrestrial portals is the logical step. It would also be a good way to add variety to the technology list. Taking a page out of Asimov, perhaps fusion in this universe is difficult to achieve and expensive to maintain, but in another dimension it is cheap and abundant, with tiny stars forming everywhere rather than large, central ones. Gameplay in such a universe might work completely differently than in the overworld, but rather than being completely new content, or a new mod, it is simply a change of rules.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:35 pm

idk.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]