Poof or no poof?

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.

Poof?

Yes.
11%
No.
44%
Exlposions!
44%

Total votes: 9

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: Poof or no poof?

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:06 am

Iv121 wrote:Prob is its not fancy and actually as far as I know there are no cores, its not starmade , you can only build ships in shipyards which means that there is no need for a block to define what is a ship and what is not a ship.
I'm 90% sure we decided on cores before anyone even knew about Starmade. Like, coming up on two years ago (wow).

Cores are basically a power source to be expanded upon, if not a ship block. When that goes down you can kiss the vessel goodbye unless you have Scotty on your crew.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 am

Tiel wrote:
Iv121 wrote:Prob is its not fancy and actually as far as I know there are no cores, its not starmade , you can only build ships in shipyards which means that there is no need for a block to define what is a ship and what is not a ship.
I'm 90% sure we decided on cores before anyone even knew about Starmade. Like, coming up on two years ago (wow).

Cores are basically a power source to be expanded upon, if not a ship block. When that goes down you can kiss the vessel goodbye unless you have Scotty on your crew.
Cores were used to define a ships class, as well. Basically, they sort of said "This ship can have 40 weapon slots max, otherwise you need a bigger core".

I do like the idea of stabilizing a destabilized core as it's about to explode.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:14 am

Not exactly, it was rather joykler's idea if I recall, though you know alright, it still doesnt make the explosion fancier.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 am

We should scrap the core idea entirely, as starmade has shown it isn't as good as it may have sounded two years ago (By the way, guys, we're starting all over, if you haven't noticed. So that's no valid argument.).
About stabilising something about to go boom, the same can be done with damaged generators or FTL systems. A ship should stay a ship, even if its systems are disabled/destroyed. That's damage that can be repaired.
Explosions on ships themselves, though, could go along power/fuel lines and pipes going throughout the ship, tearing it into pieces should they cut it in half.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:58 am

Saravanth wrote:We should scrap the core idea entirely, as starmade has shown it isn't as good as it may have sounded two years ago (By the way, guys, we're starting all over, if you haven't noticed. So that's no valid argument.).
About stabilising something about to go boom, the same can be done with damaged generators or FTL systems. A ship should stay a ship, even if its systems are disabled/destroyed. That's damage that can be repaired.
Explosions on ships themselves, though, could go along power/fuel lines and pipes going throughout the ship, tearing it into pieces should they cut it in half.
Ehh, I think at a certain point(once all systems are destroyed, or something) a ship should just revert to it's compenent blocks and turn into a stationary hulk. Perhaps have each system be a 'core' or something.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 am

Or that, that sounds fine as well. Just don't make it... poof... like in starmade.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 am

Well, we could just replace cores with processing cores, which makes for some really fancy possibilities.
Actually, there is little difference between the suggestions of Saravanth and CMA, as both would require the server to maintain a reference frame for the leftovers.
Whether there even IS any difference depends on how ships (without engine thrust) in comparison to dead objects (e.g. asteroids) would behave, but I don't see any reason for there to be any difference in the first place.
The main difference would be that CMA's method would require ships to be checked on whether they are still functional.
In Saravanth's method, we may have to do calculations for dead objects (AKA wreckages) depending on how the engine/ship/power system will work out code-wise.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:40 pm

BTW the hulk cannot be static, what happens if a ship collides with it ?

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Iv121 wrote:BTW the hulk cannot be static, what happens if a ship collides with it ?
That's pretty much what I meant with there being no reason for that to behave differently to depowered ships.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 pm

Iv121 wrote:BTW the hulk cannot be static, what happens if a ship collides with it ?
Same thing that would happen when a ship collides with an asteroid.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:28 pm

This discussion was solely for debating the end of entity based vehicles. Keon says Explosions, with salvageable bits are easy, so that's what we shall do, if you have issues with this, complain at me on skype. Ships are going to be another discussion.

Req. Lock.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:29 pm

CMA wrote:
Same thing that would happen when a ship collides with an asteroid.

Yeah thx, that was a retorical Q.

Anyway your model wont work either Ivan, or you collode with a small part of the ship that was blown away and the whole seemingly unlinked parts suddenly start spinning .

BTW it is actually ON TOPIC, the name is "poof or not poof" after all :).

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Lock request granted.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.