Engines, speed and movement

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear
Re: FutureCraft central content thread

Post by Prototype » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am

If you are looking at a single point in time, then the ship with the higher velocity will be moving faster, as acceleration does not have time to take effect, however, if you add time, then the ship with greater acceleration will eventually have the greater velocity, regardless of the difference in velocities at T=0, the ship with higher acceleration will have greater velocity as T increases to infinity, but how long after T=0 that it overtakes the ship with less acceleration depends on the difference in accelerations and the differences in starting velocity.

But if we are just looking at a single point in time, then acceleration doesn't matter, but then again neither does speed, because speed and acceleration both rely on time.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 am

I don't care what the ship's speed will be 1oo years from now, at this current second it is faster or slower, because the question that was always at hand was "which ship is faster ?". And there is constantly a time, in our case it is 1 second because speed is counted in m/s . I don't know why you insist to count speed in acceleration, I will leave you to this as you just can't seem to get it. If frost wants to he will do it this way but as far as I know him we do have similar logic so I doubt this will happen. By similar logic I do not say we agree on everything but when we disagree I get his point, you on other hand cannot see my logic, so do I, and yes for me it makes no sense to count velocity in acceleration, it's like saying this building they build there is 1 floor a month tall ... I'm sure you can assume from it how tall it is right ;) ?
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 am

Well currently we are seeing if we can us acceleration to measure engine strength, because some people don't want a top speed, so we have to govern engine effectiveness by acceleration rather than top speed. If there are no top speeds, then the maximum velocity an engine can achieve is irrelevant, so we have to use acceleration.

But bear in mind this is more an experiment than an argument, to see if its possible to have no speed limits or not, because I you can't say an engine has a top speed, how can you say it it better? By its acceleration force.

But this depends how we do things, whether ships have top speeds or not, if there are no top speeds, we have to judge power by acceleration, and I'm not too sure about it.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon May 20, 2013 10:41 am

Iv, I'm not sure you understand what the question 'Which ship is faster' means. Look- Which is faster, a race car or a guy in a wheelchair? You would have to be an idiot to say that a guy in a wheelchair is faster than a race car, but if the race car chooses to go slowly, the guy in the wheelchair might move faster than it. That has no effect on the answer to the question, though - The race car is still much faster than the wheelchair guy. I don't know if this is a translation problem or what, but your refusal to understand fairly basic ideas is becoming extremely frustrating.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:43 am

So you understand that speed is measured by speed right ? Now tell me, if you measure normal speed in speed why would you measure top speed in acceleration ? Because there WILL be top speed, besides the requirement for us humans to see what's going it is a technical limitation that is not in your powers to overcome. Acceleration will give you nothing besides making heavy ships painful to the user, especially dreadnaughts. Don't go for realism - be real, people want to have fun and not to sit in front of the calculator. If they see that when they add as much mass their top speed is deducted they actually know what it means because we are answering the question WHICH IS FASTER. IF the acceleration numbers jump alright they can assume their ship will gain speed faster but it doesn't answer the question if their ship is faster than that transport ahead and by how much.

Speed limit WILL be there simply because you cannot remove it. The question is do you want to sit in front of a calculator taking into account acceleration IF YOU STILL HAVE THAT SPEED LIMIT or do you want to simply do the users a favor and calculate a simply well understood number that ACTUALYL ANSWERS THEIR QUESTION for them ?

@ LJS ship1 faster than ship2 if ship1 is faster than ship 2, that is literally what I say : v1 > v2, and you try to compare accelerations. This is the last time I show you:

A1 > A2
V1 < V2

Now answer me which is bigger, V1 or V2 and tell me which of the above you used, A or V ? IF you answer this question correctly and still insist on arguing you simply do it for the sake of it, if you answer it wrongly you need help understanding what speed is, and you if accept that fact above there is nothing to argue about and we all agree that speed is speed ...

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon May 20, 2013 10:53 am

What I want is the system that actually exists in the real world. There is a top speed, it's lightspeed, and nothing has any effect on it. The only thing that matters is acceleration. Speed is a totally meaningless value when you're designing a ship. It's not applicable at all. I am telling you again, no-one is measuring speed in acceleration because as you have said, that would be stupid. We are measuring acceleration. You understand why there's a top speed in atmosphere, right? And thus why there isn't one in space, at least until you're going fast enough for physics to get weird? Your argument about not being able to understand acceleration still doesn't apply to any even vaguely educated person, and it isn't going to.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon May 20, 2013 10:56 am

You need acceleration to get to a speed, just making sure you are aware of that, because I am not entirely sure what you are getting at here.

Nobody has to calculate anything, the game will do that for you.

And also, V1 will be less than V2, But, over time, because V1 has A1 which is greater than A2, V1 will become faster than V2, that us fundamental, you can't change that.

What I'm trying to ask, is, should engine power determine the maximum speed or the maximum acceleration.
That's the point of this discussion, not who is right, I couldn't give a flying f*** as to who is right, so long as a good conclusion is reached.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon May 20, 2013 11:04 am

Engine power should change acceleration.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:50 am

Ok this is hopeless, I will leave you to your being but don't think I agree with you. It's probably time for frost to have his saying (couse ffs this is pointless). Also Change in speed is acceleration that is what you mean. I don't care about it's value, I know there is a specific value to it and that is it. That value is constant (or atl east breaks sharply - positive, negative and zero). That is all I need to make my ship move. Yea if you plan to render ships at the speed of light gl LJS ...)

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 am

Iv121 wrote:Yea if you plan to render ships at the speed of light gl LJS ...)
How did you get that from anything I've said here?

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm

You did say something about c being a limit, but the limit would be a lot lower than that, like less than 0.1c (which is still ridiculously fast, 3x10^7 ms^-1), because I think I can safely say that we aren't going to render things going at FTL, or at least not in a way that everyone can see their movement, so we do need a more practical speed limit for normal flight, but this will still be difficult to reach.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:What I want is the system that actually exists in the real world. There is a top speed, it's lightspeed, and nothing has any effect on it.
that is literally what you say - that ships will stop to accelerate at the speed of light.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon May 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Ships aren't going to hit light speed, even if we did allow it, it would take a while.

That is in normal flight, OFC they'll hit that in FTL, but nobody is going to see that (nobody outside the ship)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Yea FTL doesn't matter because there is only one ship in transit there, nothing to compare to, the speed can be 0 just as long as it looks fancy ...

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm

For FTL we could just stick it in a pocket dimension with a fancy animated skybox, but I'm going to cover that when I do section 2, which will not necessarily be the next one I do.
Spoiler:

Spoiler: