Frickin' magnets

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear
Frickin' magnets

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 am

Right, had a rather small, but potentially useful idea for an addition to FutureCraft, I don't know if this has been thought of before, but I haven't heard of it.

I'm proposing the addition of three new blocks
Block no 1: Mangetite (not to be confused with magnetmite) this would be a naturally occurring ore, which has magnetic properties, but very weak, and by magnetic properties, it can attract/repel iron blocks, players wearing iron armour and any other ferrous material, can be smelted or refined or something into a magnet block. Magnetite either attracts or repels, this is random.

Block no 2: Magnet block, acts like magnetite, but the effect is rather strong as opposed to the weak attraction of magnetite. When it is being refined, you can make it either repulsive or attactive

Block no 3: Electromagnet, now this is where the fun starts, this is the magnet block, but is toggled by a red stone impulse, which allows for stuff like a magnetic railway, even large scale mass drivers, maybe even a space catapult, would be very useful. Whether the eclectro magnet attracts or repels an be configured using a spanner or something, also perhaps adjusting the strength of the electromagnet (the number of turns) might be a useful feature

This is possible, I've seen mods that can make gravity wells, this would work in a similar way, only selective to ferrous materials.

Sound good?
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Frickin' magnets

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 am

Yea I always thought about building big weapons out of smaller blocks. There should be blocks with different functionalities that allow people to make original and unique stuff. When it comes to building ships Im all for giving as much freedom and creativity as possible. BTW no need to go too physical - accelerating anything passing through a ring of it is a much better, easier and more functional idea than calculating wells, momentum and all that sorts of stuff.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:43 am

I think for making block based MACs, they should be simple, as in you just pass it through a ring and it accelerates, but this should have a maximum size, and if you want to launch something over that size (this would be ineffective as a weapon, but for an interplanetary transport system, it would be useful) then you'll have to get your calculator out and do a bit of brainwork, that would be a very interesting challenge aspect, and would be a rather unique challenge, and would give the red stone enthusiasts something to do.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 am

First of all getting redstone to work on the tiny space of the ship is just impossible. If you plan to make stuff like RedPower something tells me it might not fit in as get too complex both for the users and coders. Finally calculating stuff is fun ?! Man no thanks I have enough of it on my math lessons , there is no way I'm going to play futurecraft just to see that crap again, no just no. Maybe some people like math but they mostly sit and do it instead of downloading mods for minecraft and those who do are a tinny minority. The rest of us just want some smooth and free gameplay without the need to freaking calculate stuff.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:20 pm

you wouldn't need to calculate unless you were making something ridiculously big, and I mean really big, this is more to stop OPness than anything (otherwise you could build a MAC that launches 500x500x500 shots or something ridiculous like that)

and redstone would only be for electromagnets, flicking a switch to turn something on is not difficult, and if a ship is that small that you can't use redstone, you really don't need to be using it. I don't plan anything like redpower, vanilla redstone would suffice, but you would be free to do what you want, if you can do something awesome, good for you.

and the whole point is you don't have to calculate anything, you could make a magnetic railway fairly easy, and you could do a ground based or ship based MAC easy, you could make a catapult for launching smallish stuff easy, but there would be limits to how big a thing you can fire, but if you could find a way to fire big stuff, good for you, not many people will.

tl:dr you don't have to use complex redstone or have to calculate anything, but you can if you want to do something complex, but you don't have to, but you can, it allows for such things. but the most widely needed things would be fairly simple, but people would allowed to be creative at the same time.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm

The reason people won't do huge tubes is that they require power to work , couse why not. As for the redstone it looks out of place on that futuristic ship, I would more imagine it all powered up with a UI like it should be. You link them to macros like in the power suit mod just with UI buttons not your keyboard ( I would imagine your keyboard if you have to run a dreadnaught like that :tongue:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:52 pm

and then we are back on the topic of maintaining and controlling machines
please discuss further on the computer topic

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm

I guess this thread is more like left for the list of actual blocks that do stuff, besides the magnets. For example if there is a magnet there is a need in something that deploys what it accelerates, it doesn't have to be something physical - this can also accelerate plasma or particles.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Iv121 wrote: if there is a magnet there is a need in something that deploys what it accelerates
Why not zoidberg a block dispenser?

Or a plasma generator at the bottom, perhaps you could create a really rapid fire plasma cannon with this.

Actually, if you wanted rings to accelerate something, all you would need is a block, where the bottom half attracts, and the top half repels (in other words dipolar), then arrange these in a ring, the block will be pulled up, then when it reaches a certain point, it will be repelled and in turn attracted by the next ring, and it won't get stuck in the middle if you have the first set of magnets covered by the attraction field of the second set, so maybe we don't need special rings that automatically accelerate, all we need is diplor magnet blocks, and some clever arrangements, you wouldn't even need red stone (note when I say red stone, I mean whatever power system we use) to turn it on and off
Getting things to curve would be possible as well.

Actually, quick revisal of my original idea, Mangetite and Magnet blocks are dipolar, but with Magnetite, the direction of the dipole is random, but on Magnets/electromagnets, the direction can be chosen, like the direction of stairs, also add two other blocks, unipolar magnets, that either attract or repel, but would be slightly more expensive

Unfortunately we might encourage troll physics
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Forget the troll physics I sort of lost you while reading this, let's just keep magnet rings accelerating stuff huh ?

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Iv121 wrote:Forget the troll physics I sort of lost you while reading this, let's just keep magnet rings accelerating stuff huh ?
That's what I was saying, I just realised an easy way to do it that doesn't require having to code in a special effect when they are arranged in a certain way, which is what I was thinking of doing, only because I forgot about the other effect, so no special code needed there for magnet formations.

Tl:dr I was being a dumbass a few hours ago, and just realised that magnet rings would cause acceleration anyway
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Argonian
IGN:TinkerPox

Post by TinkerPox » Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 pm

You could also use it for launching fighters in tubes, at a high speed, or getting them into orbit from a planet.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:51 am

Ok what's up with those bumps recently. They are veeeeery tiny contributions to the topic and I don't think there was a need to add them.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 am

I don't think we need to be as stringent about it on this board. Since there are only 11 topics, it's not as though the active topics are going to get buried.