CM fields?

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:imgur
IGN:andrew116
CM fields?

Post by Phalanx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Acceleration at high G speeds will not only cause blackouts, if you go to, say around 15 Gs of acceleration, and sustain it for any significant time period, (i.e. 15 secs) you will become nothing but a red smear on your seat. A potential way to counteract this is, in a sci-fi setting, creating a CM (Counter-Mass) field. Essentially, this would reduce your mass as far as nature is concerned, and it would be harder to gain high-g acceleration- but without a loss of speed.

This also brings up a lot of potential for kinetic weapons. Imagine a 20 kg bar of steel with a CM field attached. A small engine would shoot it out of your missile tubes, and a CM field would take effect, greatly increasing the distance it could go, and its speed. About 0.05 seconds before impact, the CM field reverses and the bar of steel becomes, as far as nature is concerned, 20000 kg. Imagine the havoc that would cause as it smashed into an enemy ship.

Feel free to expand on the idea, open discussion is welcomed.
Last edited by Phalanx on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello. I'm a filthy atheist heathen who visits the internet from time to time.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Re: CM fields?

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

You know this is exactly the same premise as Mass Effect, right?

Anyway, I mentioned this in another thread, but we can't do collisions at intrastellar speeds. It would be messy and suck for people accidentally running into each other at the speed of a bullet.
I presented an alternative method here, but so far nobody has commented on it. Keep in mind that one idea doesn't necessarily negate the other. Mass effect engines are probably fine thematically.

Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:imgur
IGN:andrew116

Post by Phalanx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:You know this is exactly the same premise as Mass Effect, right?

Anyway, I mentioned this in another thread, but we can't do collisions at intrastellar speeds. It would be messy and suck for people accidentally running into each other at the speed of a bullet.
I presented an alternative method here, but so far nobody has commented on it. Keep in mind that one idea doesn't necessarily negate the other. Mass effect engines are probably fine thematically.
Mass Effect, huh? Can't say I have played it. Actually, the idea came from author evan currie, check him out- http://www.tenhawkpresents.com/
Hello. I'm a filthy atheist heathen who visits the internet from time to time.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 am

I know this is a bit late, but the fact that we will have artificial gravity negates any effect that acceleration could have on our poor mushy bodies.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 am

Good point. I wasn't looking forward to coding eyeballs popping out of their sockets anyway.