Ramming

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Ramming

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:02 am

No I meant all ships shouldn't be warped in (And no it's not defensive - put it near the right node and have a raiding party). OFC if they pull a big ship they are screwed but the rest is just easy money. Besides I don't think it's possible - simply because you can’t be where someone goes through hyperspace - I imagine the game will be between gravity wells like in SoSE (because making a giant empty space is dumb, boring and ruins the fun couse you will never meet anyone ...) That means that whenever someone enters that gravity well they are already out of hyperspace. The gravity wells themselves play as stuff that pulls out of hyperspace due to their gravity.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Quick question, would different methods of FTL travel work differently like they should? Or would they just be glorified alternative crafting recipes? This has been something very intriguing and concerning for me.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:35 am

Dunno , if we have a problem to decide about the way our FTL works we can add both to make it more varied :tongue: , that is as long as inter-system travel is between those gravity wells because anything beyond them does not exist in the game (that again would mean ppl will never meet each other if we make space as big as it is). I believe the FTL drives will mostly change the order in which you can travel to different nodes. For example you can link nodes together in a chain so that you need to follow a specific route to get somewhere or you can make your FTL jump to a specific distance - any node within this distance is in your reach (like in the game FTL and some other space games). Those in my opinion are the main two ways FTL can work.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:57 am

Laserbilly wrote: That is a really cool idea! I like the idea that while a battleship could whiz by a frigate without even a polite greeting, a corvette in the same situation would have to stop and pay its respects.
Other way around. The realspace bubble would grow exponentially with the size of the ship it contains, so a tiny ship would be much more maneuverable and able to dart in and out of conflicts than a larger ship.

Maybe we could so the same with fleets moving together, so that the larger your group the more they are restricted about where they appear, so a scout ship could get to the atmosphere of a planet for instance, but an invasion force would have to deploy kilometers back and move in on regular propulsion.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:31 am

Well that would mean making bigger empty space which is not good. Instead I suggest longer charging times together with longer travel speed if you want. That means that a scout can easily warp in and quickly warp out elsewhere while the bigger ships will need to wait for a while.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Laserbilly wrote: That is a really cool idea! I like the idea that while a battleship could whiz by a frigate without even a polite greeting, a corvette in the same situation would have to stop and pay its respects.
Other way around. The realspace bubble would grow exponentially with the size of the ship it contains, so a tiny ship would be much more maneuverable and able to dart in and out of conflicts than a larger ship.

Maybe we could so the same with fleets moving together, so that the larger your group the more they are restricted about where they appear, so a scout ship could get to the atmosphere of a planet for instance, but an invasion force would have to deploy kilometers back and move in on regular propulsion.
I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess it makes sense and does a lot to even the playing field, too.

Larger ship/fleet = longer warning.

How would it work? Maybe for every block long the ship is, it would only be able to warp outside twice(3x, 4x, 10x, whatever ends up making sense for the speed that the ships travel at) that distance from the planet. For a fleet, it would just be each ship lined up end on end?

Also, maybe a warp arrival points could be randomly assigned. So that it would be better for an attacking fleet to warp in a group, arrive together and in formation, and incur the travel penalty; rather than to arrive strung out and in disarray but closer.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Laserbilly wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess it makes sense and does a lot to even the playing field, too.

How would it work? Maybe for every block long the ship is, it would only be able to warp outside twice(3x, 4x, 10x, whatever ends up making sense for the speed that the ships travel at) that distance from the planet. For a fleet, it would just be each ship lined up end on end?

Also, maybe a warp arrival points could be randomly assigned. So that it would be better for an attacking fleet to warp in a group, arrive together and in formation, and incur the travel penalty; rather than to arrive strung out and in disarray but closer.
It would make more sense for it to be affected by the total number of blocks in the ship, not how long it is. Theoretically this is based on mass, after all.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 am

Last_Jedi_St&#x90;anding wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote: Other way around. The realspace bubble would grow exponentially with the size of the ship it contains, so a tiny ship would be much more maneuverable and able to dart in and out of conflicts than a larger ship.

It would make more sense for it to be affected by the total number of blocks in the ship, not how long it is. Theoretically this is based on mass, after all.
I agree that it would make more sense, but last time I checked my Protector had around 1,000,000 blocks in it, and it's HOLLOW! I don't think it would be very fun if I had to travel 1,000 kilometers to every planet because my ship is so massive...

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 am

But the again, if you have a ship of only a few tens-of-blocks, you have practically no warning at all.
In my opinion, there should be set points in space where ships can enter/exit hyperspace. This means defences can be built, but deploying ships to one point would always be a gamble.
Or maybe we could make the only way to travel be a jump-gate.
This is a signature.