Boarding and the trouble it brings.

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:imgur
IGN:andrew116
Boarding and the trouble it brings.

Post by Phalanx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 am

If boarding is to be a part of the mod, we must consider the practicality of jumping onto an enemy ship guns blazing. In a real, realistic world, there are too many things that could go BOOM on a starship with a stray bullet/laser/plasma ball. Should we go back to swords and shields? Or is boarding even practical?
Hello. I'm a filthy atheist heathen who visits the internet from time to time.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Re: Boarding and the trouble it brings.

Post by joykler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 am

if the enemy energy shields or the hull armor is very strong its important to do this
and to high-jack vessels or to steal items in someones ship

i think small hand lazer can bring you in
or a ship with a special piercing head

once inside machines inside should need alot of damage to go boom
you can disable them or use special tools to take them out one by one

ship guns can make them go boom because they do 10 times more damage then the best player weapon

boarding is practical
and should be done like this
swords and shield could be practical
in small areas

Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Phalanx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:24 am

joykler wrote:if the enemy energy shields or the hull armor is very strong its important to do this
and to high-jack vessels or to steal items in someones ship

i think small hand lazer can bring you in
or a ship with a special piercing head

once inside machines inside should need alot of damage to go boom
you can disable them or use special tools to take them out one by one

ship guns can make them go boom because they do 10 times more damage then the best player weapon

boarding is practical
and should be done like this
swords and shield could be practical
in small areas
I see your point, but using special tools to disable/hack machines is impractical in a firefight. Also, what if a gun battle is going within/near the reactor, a stray plasma ball (I am assuming plasma weaponry is used) could indeed make a disaster. But, again, good point.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:37 am

I would assume ship designers would realize ships get boarded and exploding reactors ruin any chance of retaking the ship, so only retards leave the reactor unshielded. However, if the bomb bay is opened up......
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 am

my point is that you need to balance machines getting blown within a second and making it impossible to destroy them

because on a big ship it could well be possible to have someone entering stealthy
but if he needs to blow it up by shooting at it for an hour thats imposibble
but if a stray bullit would blow anything up you would see everything blown up in a sec

so thats why special equipment that takes a little time but isnt very handy while in a fire fight
reactor shields would ofcourse be implemented but if the reactor would be blown within the shield the ship wouldnt be able to move so thats still annoying
the shields will mainly be to protect it from people attacking the outside.

Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Phalanx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:29 pm

ACH0225 wrote:I would assume ship designers would realize ships get boarded and exploding reactors ruin any chance of retaking the ship, so only retards leave the reactor unshielded. However, if the bomb bay is opened up......
Yeah. Boarders in the munition storage would be a nightmare.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Although, most boarders would want to stay alive and get the ship intact, so they probably would be as careful as the crew, and not attack munitions.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:04 pm

If the goal is to destroy a ship, just shooting the thing is always going to be easier than boarding. You don't board unless there's some specific thing you want intact, be that the ship itself, or the crew, or the code books, or the treasure, or whatever. I think boarding parties in spacesuits blowing up the life support system so they can get the jewels or whatever without resistance would be awesome, but that's probably not likely to happen that much because the most common goal will almost certainly be to get a free ship, and a functioning life support system is an important part of that. That said, there shouldn't be that much on a Futurecraft ship that you can damage without meaning to. You would definitely have to watch your fire if you're in the room with all the torpedoes, and you'll probably want to limit the number of explosive weapons that you're using on a ship, but it shouldn't be the case that you have to go at the enemy with knives and flashbangs to avoid breaking stuff (as cool as that might be). I don't know why the hell you'd be having a gunfight in the reactor core, but if for some reason you were shooting it once shouldn't damage it. Same with computers and stuff. My guess would be that they'll just be blocks, and not have health or anything like that, but even if they are destructible by small arms they shouldn't be too terribly fragile.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:07 pm

You know why you would want boarding? So you can steal ships.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 pm

3 reasons for boarding:

1: Steal item onboard.
2: Steal ship itself.
3: Ship is really strong offensively and defensively, but has little crew or a fatal flaw. Picture the death star, but with blasters.

The last and first you might want to destroy the ship, but it would be harder, usually. I don't see a problem. People get in boarding ship, board, pvp happens, victors can sit down at the helm. And yes, a stray bullet could explode both sides. That's good.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:49 pm

You know, food for thought: every single mod that adds guns or gunlike functionality to minecraft sucks in that regard. Hell will freeze over before you hit someone with a gun in Flan's. SDK was/is just plain overpowered. Etc. And to top it all off the graphics look like absolute donkey butt.

I was thinking about what I said earlier, about it being silly to have people running around with swords while the rest fight with projectile weaponry, but why not? Make them lightsabers and such, offer variation on them, and you're all set. Explanation being that advances in armor technology have nullified the advantages of small-arms on infantry targets, meaning the more powerful guns that can break through it like plasma cannons, the real heavy hitters, to mechs, starfighters, ships, etcetera. There'd still have to be some form of projectile-weaponry, but it'd be more like the cannons of the old in that they'd be cumbersome and take time to deploy. Meanwhile, your buds are charging the enemy in their powersuits, laser sabres drawn.

It'd make sense in the context of boarding that everyone would be fighting with melee weapons, which would be incredibly difficult to damage your own ship without meaning to. Another benefit would be that it would set FC apart from all the other tech mods in that a gun is the end-all solution to everything, period. It'd be easy to use Minecraft's melee combat system as a base to improve on, I think, and provide a unique flavor to gameplay. Now it'd not be "spam as many bullets as you can down that corridor" so much as "gloriously charge the enemy and engage in furious skirmishes". Granted, minecraft's 'dueling' component is anything but and is fairly lackluster, so that'd need improving so it's not just sprint+jump and then the occasional block.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm

You sacrifice a lot of really awesome stuff by not using guns, though. You remove pretty much all the variety and tactics of personal combat. You can't do anything except run up to an enemy and click on them, in every single situation. You lose snipers, cover fire, machine guns, probably grenades (they wouldn't make sense if guns don't), and loads of other stuff. I'm not really a fan of lightsabers, either; something like a Cip-Quad or a Z-6 rotary blaster is many times as epic as even a double-bladed saber. Having only melee weapons is an interesting idea, but not one that makes very much sense compared to any of the other stuff we're theoretically doing, and I think the amount of gameplay you'd gain pales in comparison to that which you'd lose.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 pm

You could make it so you have to have some quantity of skill to use a gun besides a pistol in CQC. Then the newbs would use swords and the pros would use cruddy bolt action cordite rifles from the Unification Wars.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:31 am

Here's an idea; lets not add any futuristic weapons and then see what happens! YOU DIDN'T THINK OF THAT ONE!!!!
This is a signature.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:34 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:You sacrifice a lot of really awesome stuff by not using guns, though. You remove pretty much all the variety and tactics of personal combat. You can't do anything except run up to an enemy and click on them, in every single situation. You lose snipers, cover fire, machine guns, probably grenades (they wouldn't make sense if guns don't), and loads of other stuff.
Let's be honest here, do you really think anyone's going to utilize any of that? In the end it will just boil down to everyone grabbing a sniper rifle and taking potshots at one another. There's no incentive to make a machine gun when you can craft a potentially 1sk weapon, so even the people who like to spray and pray are going to relegate themselves to the most powerful rifle and never turn back. It's pointing and clicking versus running up and clicking, and to be honest the latter sounds a lot more fun than getting constantly killed by some jerk in a good spot with a lategame rifle.

The concept of having guns be deployables rather than small-arms also means you're going to see a lot more tactical combat; forces will set up their guns strategically rather than forgoing them entirely in favor of just letting loose a volley of sniper fire and calling it a day.
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Here's an idea; lets not add any futuristic weapons and then see what happens! YOU DIDN'T THINK OF THAT ONE!!!!
I don't know if you're attempting to insinuate that that's what I'm proposing, but it's not. All I'm suggesting is forgoing infantry firearms to 1) avoid the hassle of balancing item-guns into minecraft gameplay, which almost every mod so far as failed to do, and 2) create a more unique flavor of combat favoring tactical prowess over one's ability to point and click. Guns would stay on everything else, the explanation being they have the power to punch through personnel power-armor but can't be miniaturized to portable-scale without sacrificing that advantage.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]