Possible fighter designs

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign
Re: Possible fighter designs

Post by Laserbilly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:04 pm

You can always use power-armor to lift things a normal player couldn't.

Maybe by having a space or two in the "e" button gui to the right of where you put your armor that you could place a big item, and when you exit the gui that item could be shown as being carried on your back? It might not look perfect, but I think it could be a simple solution.

Another idea is that you could have an "orders wand" that, when you left click with it, a gui would open up with a list of all the entities (turrets, power sources, thruster) that you have sitting in your warehouse, that you could place, centered on the block you've clicked. The explanation being that your engineers are doing the heavy lifting.
This would necessitate a preset storage/warehouse area where your items appear after you build them. You could even extend the idea further by having a factory, manned by NPCs, connected to the warehouse where you could submit the necessary resources and order your workers to construct the item in question. Working backwards, you could have a resource dump-point connected to the factory where your miners bring the resources that they've gathered.
I guess the main point of this on is that you need a bevy of NPC slaves to construct a space ship. I like this idea.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:51 am

Or a kinesis module
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 am

Assembly lines! Yes!

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 am

assembly lines is when you do it automatic
but sometimes you want to do things by hand

if you want to make 1 or 2 special fighters you dont want to build a whole factory for it
you want to be able to do it by hand

maybe with such a suit
maybe just with a special crafting table
but not with a machine that takes ages to build

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:49 am

Assembly lines are just automated making devices. You could use one to make a special fighter by just specifying the parts you want to use. People could also make blueprints to share fighter designs, and make some amount of standardization in factions. Besides, a single meter by meter box can't make an advanced fighter, and welding it together is too mundane.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 am

i quite like the idea
of having separate parts that one can put together to make a fighter

yes you could have a machine doing this
but you should be able to do it by hand

Daktoth
Recruit
Recruit
IGN:Daktoth

Post by Daktoth » Sat May 11, 2013 2:56 am

what if we used at least 10-15 different base models and you can paint one particular model with a maximum of 2-4 custom wool dyes(for the fighters/bombers enities)

the steps in building your custom fighter go like this:

1. building the parts on crafting tables (with expensive resources like iron blocks)

2.building a special bench (10x10 crafting grid) that allows you to make the pattern of the starfighter model
for instance: if you want to make an X-wing like fighter you need to make the shape with the items required to build the model on the crafting GUI , but if you want a straight fighter with wings then you assemble the fighter in a different crafting pattern than the X-wing pattern

3.coloring the fighter/bomber on another bench called a "paint workshop" that opens a floating model of the fighter you insert in the empty tab in the interface, the default fighter colors are light grey and white (similiar to iron blocks that were turned into parts in building the fighter) and to color the fighter you simply place the dyes in the tabs for trims,main color,secondary color etc.

hope you like my idea!

Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:imgur
IGN:andrew116

Post by Phalanx » Sat May 11, 2013 10:29 am

That sounds good, but I was thinking something like this: Modular parts would be made individually in something like the Steve's Carts 2 mod. They would be fully customizable. Then, players would place a single block, probably something with an expensive recipe, and attach their modular cockpit to it, which would have sensors and the like. Then, on the other side of the block, players would attach the fuselage, which would have stuff like reactors and dorsal turrets on it. Wings would add stability, and engines would add thrust. Small thrusters attached in the part making process would add maneuverability. Then, players would get inside the cockpit and press something like F to make the fighter enter entity mode. Then, you could zip around in your space fighter. Also, blueprints could be made for individual parts that could be scanned by some sort of robot controlling a massive (It would have to be, one block just won't do it) assembly line that would put parts together.

Note: I know a lot of you have similar ideas, I was just hoping to expand on them.
Construction without an assembly line would require some sort of crane thingy.
This method would be good for fighters, bombers, drones, and pinnaces.
Hello. I'm a filthy atheist heathen who visits the internet from time to time.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sat May 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Spore. Discuss.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 11, 2013 8:30 pm

No.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sat May 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Tiel wrote:No.
why not.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 pm

I dunno. I don't love Spore's system. It's an interesting idea, but we can do better. With Spore you almost have too much freedom, if that makes sense. You can make anything you want, and as a result it's very difficult to make anything you like.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:I dunno. I don't love Spore's system. It's an interesting idea, but we can do better. With Spore you almost have too much freedom, if that makes sense. You can make anything you want, and as a result it's very difficult to make anything you like.
I want to say "fair enough, thats your opinion" but it does not make any sense to me so I can't give that to you.
"The Sky is the Limit"