Engines, speed and movement

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Re: FutureCraft central content thread

Post by  ҉  » Mon May 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:What I want is the system that actually exists in the real world. There is a top speed, it's lightspeed, and nothing has any effect on it.
that is literally what you say - that ships will stop to accelerate at the speed of light.
Nooo.... I said the opposite of that.
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:Prototype, the time it would take to hit lightspeed with any engine we're likely to include in the game would be ridiculous. Even if you were accelerating at a kilometer/second/second, which is *much* faster than we have any reason to be accelerating, you'd have to do that for some 83 hours to hit lightspeed, and equally long to slow down again. No ship could carry enough fuel to do that.
You have yet to respond to any of my examples. Instead, you continue to repeat the same arguments. Please change something.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 pm

It's selective perception. He doesn't see them because he doesn't want to perceive them. Our minds naturally do this- We place emphasis on ideas that support our opinions and ignore those that contradict it. It's a reality tunnel.

You know what Iv? Let's destroy speed AND acceleration! Everything is relative! If we move past each other in space, I HAVE NO IDEA whether you're moving or I'M moving! Its relative! And since we aren't going for realism, no speed! No acceleration! No relations! Nothing!

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

And I say all quiet and wait for frost, I already PMed him ... I see all your arguments but they do not relate to the point, kill me but I can't see the logic behind that, especially behind not counting velocity in velocity, so how many birds on the tree ??? 1 each minute ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Iv121 wrote:especially behind not counting velocity in velocity, so how many birds on the tree ??? 1 each minute ...
How many bloody times am I going to have to explain that to you before you understand it? THAT. IS. NOT. WHAT. WE. ARE. DOING. No-one has said that but you.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:03 am

Well how many times should I say the same ? You always ask which ship is faster, you show me calculations of V, Velocity, all the time, that is a fact that the question at hand is which ship is faster, and in all of your calculations you used A, acceleration, and now tell me you are not trying to calculate and measure (Yes, if you give the player that acceleration you not only calculate but MEASURE in acceleration, because that is all the bloody user knows ) in acceleration.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 am

Okay, slight change of subject since this si going nowhere?
This thread:
http://fc-mod.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=451
discusses ship controls.
i think you should fix that in the OP, proto.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 am

Added that to subsection 1
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 am

Iv121 wrote:Well how many times should I say the same ? You always ask which ship is faster, you show me calculations of V, Velocity, all the time, that is a fact that the question at hand is which ship is faster, and in all of your calculations you used A, acceleration, and now tell me you are not trying to calculate and measure (Yes, if you give the player that acceleration you not only calculate but MEASURE in acceleration, because that is all the bloody user knows ) in acceleration.
Faster doesn't have to mean velocity. I finished speaking faster than Bob, but that doesn't mean anything I did had velocity. I have another example, but at this point I don't really expect you to read/understand this one either: Say there are two ships, A and B. A has a top speed of 50, and B has a top speed of 100. They both start out still, and then start moving. They accelerate at the same rate, so for the first few seconds they move at exactly the same speed and neither is faster. Can you see any similarities between this example and your example?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:28 pm

I get really well what you say but you don't get what you say. That is what you say:

T = 0
VA < VB

T = 2 let's say
VA = VB

T = 4 let's say

VB > VA

and guess what ? You compared velocity again.

As this is again going to nowhere and Frost is not planning to help as it seems I have a compromise, read carefully:

The mass will determine 2 things: The acceleration rate and the top speed the ship can reach.

Depending on the mass we will have 3 accelerations per ship: Positive (speeding up), Negative (Slowing down) and 0 (for maintaining speed, no need to calculate just general concept). Those accelerations are STATIC. That means that they do not change again for the same type of ship unless the mass has changed (makes sense as the acceleration is effected by mass, no mass change no acceleration change).

Now the top speed will be also determined by mass. From the top speed that the engine can give a certain value depending on the mass is deducted. That means that the top speed is lower for heavier ships. That top speed is present because it is a technical necessity to limit the speed of a ship and because it is a compromise with my idea that changes the top speed.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue May 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Iv121 wrote:I get really well what you say but you don't get what you say. That is what you say:

T = 0
VA < VB

T = 2 let's say
VA = VB

T = 4 let's say

VB > VA
No, that isn't what I said. You truly have no idea what you're talking about.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 pm

To answer which is faster you must compare speed. It is a fact, you cannot deny it, that is all what I say. You can give as many examples as you want but when you compare speed you compare speed and nothing else. I cannot understand how you cannot understand it.

Anyway that is not what we are supposed to discuss, I made my proposal, I await you answer - YES or NO, either you agree for the compromise or keep halting this stuff.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Tue May 21, 2013 1:35 pm

To decide which is faster you look at speed, to decide which is better, you look at other factors, like power, and the acceleration produced by it.

I'm not sure if there's much left to cover on this topic, shall I move it on?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Agreed or not ? Acceleration decides acceleration, top speed decides top speed, as simple as that, no more than that no less than that.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Iv121 wrote:To answer which is faster you must compare speed. It is a fact, you cannot deny it, that is all what I say. You can give as many examples as you want but when you compare speed you compare speed and nothing else. I cannot understand how you cannot understand it.
No you don't. That is true of cars but it is not true of spaceships. When you are talking about space, the answer to the question 'which one is faster' is 'the one that has the best acceleration'. You want to remove ground stuff entirely, so why are you insisting that we use atmospheric mechanics in space? I do not agree to your compromise. There are no speed limits in space; acceleration is the only thing that matters when choosing a spaceship.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Tue May 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Well I was thinking of having mass and engine power determine too speed, but that's about it.
Spoiler:

Spoiler: