Engines, speed and movement

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: FutureCraft central content thread

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm

From what I've read fr0st is just cleaning up rendering techniques. That does very little for the performance hit..

Wait a minute. If ships are entities as opposed to worlds, how the fuck do you propose doing block-based damage in the first place, or even any sort of modification while flying? If the answer is 'idk' then I'm all for mass-based acceleration because you wouldn't be giving up anything by adding it. Mass could be calculated whenever you disengage the fly-block, and acceleration based on that, with no discernible performance hit.
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Thu May 16, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Tiel wrote:We're talking about ships in the 1000s of blocks, though, and likely ten to fifteen or so at a time.

That's asking the system to count all those blocks, make the necessary calculations, and then submit the data to the server, and then do it all over again within x ticks. Perhaps even more given a combat situation with Iv's notion of having every individual block have HP. There's just no discernible benefit for that kind of stress when you could just have three or so types of engine per core and call it a day.
You don't have to do it every few ticks. You only have to do it when the mass of the ship changes, which will probably be relatively uncommon. A ship will spend most of its time just flying, and none of these calculations need to be done when that's all that's happening. It would be done when cargo was loaded or unloaded, presumably, but that will only happen when the ship is still anyway. During combat it would have to be done when blocks are blown off of a ship, and this is a ridiculously small investment compared to the number of other things going on there. If there's a three-meter hole in the bottom of your boat, fixing the little cut in the side isn't going to do much for you.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm

You're late.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:13 pm

@ Tiel from what I heard it's still worlds or anything from what we ever suggested will not work ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

No, fr0st has specified several times that he's making ships entities, as opposed to each block being one ala Zeppelin.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Tiel wrote: Wait a minute. If ships are entities as opposed to worlds, how the fuck do you propose doing block-based damage in the first place, or even any sort of modification while flying? If the answer is 'idk' then I'm all for mass-based acceleration because you wouldn't be giving up anything by adding it.
Well there the thing, we don't know what it'll be, but I guess it doesn't matter what speed acceleration system you used if they are worlds, it's going to be a pain.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Well the pain will be not in the fact they are accelerating worlds (again I'm against anything with heavy calculations for the player such as acceleration) and the pain in them being entities is prob even bigger for us as while being on board a ship we interact with blocks all the time. If we don't get a way to interact with them it will be impossible to run the ship or at least it will break immersion really hard quite lowering the value of the mod.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Thu May 16, 2013 3:38 pm

yes things need to be active while flying

i think the calculation in speed has to be done a while after the last change that would make it alot softer on computers

lets say
a ship has a mass of 100 and thus has a speed of 40
then someone shoots the ship
the ship notices 'oh there is a change now ... what is the change ? ... the change is we lost 10 alright
oh another 10
oh another 10

[then you can have the ship explode if it reaches zero while calculating the change] or having the ship survive for a while
alright a minute has passed after last change .... alright we lost 30 thats damage
alright then we have to destroy 3 blocks on the bridge
2 in the hangar
and 5 in on the engines

in total we lost 30 mass that means we now gain speed so thats 3
now our mass is 70 with a speed of 43

i think because it has more time to calculate things it will be easyer to handle for the computer

and about the computer idea
you need to have the proccessor be able to keep up with the engine
otherwise failures will follow
so a high speed engine needs high speed processor/alot of processors doing diffrent tasks

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Thu May 16, 2013 3:49 pm

joykler wrote:yes things need to be active while flying

i think the calculation in speed has to be done a while after the last change that would make it alot softer on computers

lets say
a ship has a mass of 100 and thus has a speed of 40
then someone shoots the ship
the ship notices 'oh there is a change now ... what is the change ? ... the change is we lost 10 alright
oh another 10
oh another 10

[then you can have the ship explode if it reaches zero while calculating the change] or having the ship survive for a while
alright a minute has passed after last change .... alright we lost 30 thats damage
alright then we have to destroy 3 blocks on the bridge
2 in the hangar
and 5 in on the engines

in total we lost 30 mass that means we now gain speed so thats 3
now our mass is 70 with a speed of 43

i think because it has more time to calculate things it will be easyer to handle for the computer

and about the computer idea
you need to have the proccessor be able to keep up with the engine
otherwise failures will follow
so a high speed engine needs high speed processor/alot of processors doing diffrent tasks
Why you put computer in everything?
Is a good idea but man,putting computer in everything?
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Thu May 16, 2013 3:54 pm

no you would link a "executing block [doors guns engines generators] " to or a computer or a terminal or a mainframe
each has diffrent strengths
for further information look on the computer hting i made

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Tiel wrote:You're late.
I posted a reply nine minutes after your original post. This is not actually an instant chat, although it seems to be being used as one.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 pm

No, you just type slower than my grandma.

And she's dead. :|
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Tiel wrote:No, you just type slower than my grandma.

And she's dead. :|
Gee, thanks, Tiel. You know, we have a Hamachi box. I'm in it. If you have something to say, by all means say it, but please do it there.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Why?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:11 pm

@Tiel
Ships are worlds, ship interactions are handled in the Entity.Tick() pipeline, and the coordinate marshaling is handled by proxy entities which tie the worlds together within the same physical context. I've discussed this at great lengths before, so I won't elaborate here.