Possible fighter designs

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:imgur
IGN:andrew116
Re: Possible fighter designs

Post by Phalanx » Sun May 12, 2013 6:34 am

What do you mean by a spore system? My idea or cinnamon's?
Hello. I'm a filthy atheist heathen who visits the internet from time to time.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am

Phalanx wrote:What do you mean by a spore system? My idea or cinnamon's?
Basically theres a ton of different parts that you can change the shape or size of.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:16 pm

In spore, you can use whatever pieces you want and give a ship any look you like, but it is all simply decoration. Every ship functions identically. What we want is something more akin to the Armored Core series, where the pieces you chose have fixed ways of fitting together and there are rules as to what you can use, but every piece actually does something and has a purpose.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun May 12, 2013 1:02 pm

I don't have nearly as much experience with the vehicle part of Spore as I do with the creature part, but with creatures at least the pieces do change your stats. New legs let you run faster than the old legs or whatever, various pieces give you different attack options, that kind of thing. I think that's pretty much what we want, isn't it?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Well you always complain that functionality ruins the good looks of ships. Here there is actually a chance for you to fix it - As always when it comes to fighters I propose making the fighter entities out of modular pieces while the stats and functions of the fighter are determined by blocks you put in a large crafting-table like grid. With a simple code you can check how different parts in the ship align and by that determine its stats (you have a ready example in IC2's nuclear reactor, jsut different stuff calculated). Consider it as building the fighter out of real blocks than shrinking it into an entity on a 2D greed ofc for simplicity.

A quick example, it is possible to have pre-defined connection links in each model like the energy cable outside of the crafting greed that connects the wing's power to the rest of fighter's power grid.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun May 12, 2013 1:49 pm

So wait.

Like, make a ship out of microcubes on a 3d crafting grid, or am I missing something here?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Phalanx » Sun May 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well you always complain that functionality ruins the good looks of ships. Here there is actually a chance for you to fix it - As always when it comes to fighters I propose making the fighter entities out of modular pieces while the stats and functions of the fighter are determined by blocks you put in a large crafting-table like grid. With a simple code you can check how different parts in the ship align and by that determine its stats (you have a ready example in IC2's nuclear reactor, jsut different stuff calculated). Consider it as building the fighter out of real blocks than shrinking it into an entity on a 2D greed ofc for simplicity.

A quick example, it is possible to have pre-defined connection links in each model like the energy cable outside of the crafting greed that connects the wing's power to the rest of fighter's power grid.
Something like my idea, but on a crafting grid? Or am I misinterpreting my readings here?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Well yes and no, you do not work with ready modules, you create them in a way that would actually work in real blocks .

Phalanx
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Phalanx » Sun May 12, 2013 2:46 pm

They would be solid blocks, but still be slanted so they could look good.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:54 pm

No they are not solid blocks, it is impossible to have a fighter out of solid blocks of this size, and if you make them shaped it becomes unpractical as it is easier to make an entity then ... I was saying that the grid SIMULATES a real build (well not rly, popping more plating no matter where increases resistance , you can say it is kinda a strong framework when its inside and a strong plating when it's on the outside) and it is not a real fighter out of blocks (though the same items used for the fighters could be blocks that you use for bigger ships just placed into the grid - this will increase the fighter cost making it the complicated and costly piece of technology it is, not as costly as a bigger battleship but still)

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Iv121 wrote:No they are not solid blocks, it is impossible to have a fighter out of solid blocks of this size, and if you make them shaped it becomes unpractical as it is easier to make an entity then ... I was saying that the grid SIMULATES a real build (well not rly, popping more plating no matter where increases resistance , you can say it is kinda a strong framework when its inside and a strong plating when it's on the outside) and it is not a real fighter out of blocks (though the same items used for the fighters could be blocks that you use for bigger ships just placed into the grid - this will increase the fighter cost making it the complicated and costly piece of technology it is, not as costly as a bigger battleship but still)
I know, I agree. I meant as in the fashion of that old mod, Microcubes or some other, where you could divide blocks into eighths and build pieces where more finesse was required than afforded by normal MC blocks. It should be possible to make a fighter out of one of those, though not the most practical thing in the world.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:54 am

I think having a module system would be too complicated to put in place for the outcome it'd produce. Far better to use micro-blocks +tile entity parts for functional pieces.
This is a signature.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:41 am

Like I said before, block based ships have a lot higher resource overhead than regular entities. I can't recommend going that route, and especially with micro-blocks which could potentially cut into the geometry budget if abused.

Also, Minecraft already supports entities made of sub-entities (was specifically introduced for the Ender Dragon).