Space Languages

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
Space Languages

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:52 pm

An interesting idea I thought of the other day while playing SS13 was what if we had multiple 'languages' in FC? Not too many just say three languages A, B, and C. Someone who speaks A would see the chat of someone who speaks B as some gibberish. Translations could be a simple set of shifts and whatnot or even a full blown language if you convince the RPs to flesh out an English to Strigiform dictionary or something.
This would also add in new research options for say translator devices (let's assume space people are retards when it comes to learning a second language).
And if we really want to dig into it we could stea- erhim recreate google translate and have automatic translation to your actual language.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Re: Space Languages

Post by Tell » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:32 pm

No.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Tell wrote:No.
I feel enlightened by your words... No wait, just gas.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:46 pm

It be way to much work for something thats basically going to confuse people. Also theres a thing called teamspeak.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Tell wrote:It be way to much work for something thats basically going to confuse people. Also theres a thing called teamspeak.
Too much work? The most basic version involves adding one variable to a players data sheet and making three text shifters that play when a number is called. Team speak? Are you friends that daft they're going to choose a different language? Even then talking to other players not in TS will require translating through one ofthe group.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Why?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Kzin wrote:Why?
To add some variety to the universe and some interesting situations, imagine some group travels out of their language area and gets lost in space, then have to play space sherades with some helpful guy to find out where they are.

Of course this would only work assuming talking is regulated like real life and the /me command is murderd violently to avoid cheating fucks.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:01 am

I support this. Also in game VoIP or whatever it's called, which is autotuned and warped to hell and back without translators, exactly like chat.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.