Modular items, construction, production

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.
Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
Modular items, construction, production

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 pm

After lurking the dev forums I notice the problem of how to make boarding ships reasonable?
The idea I came up with is to make everything hold a larger value, not just with expensive resources but with time.
You see ships will be filled with modules such as reactors, engines, guns, systems, etc. These systems would be crafted as modular parts from a multiblock factory setup. Materials would be nined, then refined, then made into parts, these parts would then be assembled into modules in assembly lines/factories. These modules would then have to be transported to a ship under counts ructions and mounted into place. All these modules would require a decent amount of time to refine, counstruct, and assemble. This would give them a larger natural value and people wouldn't want to destroy other peoples stuff so that they can salvage the parts quickly and cheaply.
Another result of this is you would see more cities pop up, large factory areas for processing large amounts of parts would form and larger empires could produce larger ships.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Re: Modular items, construction, production

Post by Saravanth » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:06 am

I completely support zis.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:17 am

Isn't this what we've already planned?
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:17 am

It is, that's why I support it.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:58 am

I think this is what is already planned, but yes, I fully support this.

How about you actually have a 'machine case' where you can put your stuff in, and if you choose smaller (but usually much less powerful, unless there's a serious difference in technology) parts, you can fit several devices into a single block, which would be useful for smaller craft, like shuttles, where you'd have a hard time finding enough space to assign every subsystem that is required for it to function an entire block.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:I think this is what is already planned, but yes, I fully support this.

How about you actually have a 'machine case' where you can put your stuff in, and if you choose smaller (but usually much less powerful, unless there's a serious difference in technology) parts, you can fit several devices into a single block, which would be useful for smaller craft, like shuttles, where you'd have a hard time finding enough space to assign every subsystem that is required for it to function an entire block.
The way I imagine things is for the future stage of tech you would have a designer block much like how we plan to have fighters made and in this you would design parts in it instead.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:44 pm

I'd say multifunction blocks should be available fir anyone with the capacity to build them, but they work like a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, and so are cheaper, but surpassed by dedicated subsystems.

But for commercial ships, you can cram shields, weapons, and navigation into one block to reduce costs without suffering much, whereas warships want to be maximally effective, thus, more expensive.

So it all balances out, though wildly differing tech levels would likely mean you can improve multifunction subsystems a fair bit.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I'd say multifunction blocks should be available fir anyone with the capacity to build them, but they work like a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, and so are cheaper, but surpassed by dedicated subsystems.

But for commercial ships, you can cram shields, weapons, and navigation into one block to reduce costs without suffering much, whereas warships want to be maximally effective, thus, more expensive.

So it all balances out, though wildly differing tech levels would likely mean you can improve multifunction subsystems a fair bit.
Be pretty interesting, especially if you could disassemble them.
Imagine some big empire giving a peace offering to a less developed group. "Quick go in the back and throw some crap together in a block"

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:56 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I'd say multifunction blocks should be available fir anyone with the capacity to build them, but they work like a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, and so are cheaper, but surpassed by dedicated subsystems.

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:you can cram shields, weapons, and navigation into one block
Don't get me wrong, I agree that systems, or almost everything should be available in different size, quality and effectiveness, but one block is WA>Y too little, for almost anything. Rather than that, one could make computers handle that stuff, every task requiring a certain amount of processing power, and so ships and structures who don't need much can work with much less?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:30 am

Is fr0st still on the forums?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 am

I kinda agree that shields, weapons and navigation all in one block would be crap.
Now, having different kinds of sensors and their processors in one block, THAT would make more sense. At least for the compact version.
@Saravanth I think we're doing the ocmputer/processor power thing anyway. And pocket-size shields (those that can't be used to keep you from getting blown up by some capship weapons and don't project larger than something the size of an Imperial Shuttle in Star Wars), energy cells (for craft too small to have their own reactor and fuel) and such would be perfectly fine to take up only one block. If you want to protect an actual ship, I agree, your shields should take up more space than that.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:43 am

@Saravanth I meant you _could_, but it would give you enough shielding to deflect a rock. Which is all a commercial ship really needs, though.

That said, you can reduce the cost a LOT by running MFBs, just expect substandard performance. But a freighter doesn't exactly have any requirement to sit up and dance, or deflect a capship barrage. So...yeah.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:44 am

catsonmeth wrote:Is fr0st still on the forums?
This is something I wanted to ask all along, but never found a fitting opportunity to do so.

And even commercial ships should need a little more than a single block to be shielded. That amount of shielding power shouldn't be sufficient, even suboptimally, for anything above maybe dimensions of 8x8x8 blocks. But anyway, without actual experience we're not really in the position to discuss such fine details.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:26 am

A deflector shield for a small ship I could see fitting into one block, but for any larger vessel or anything dealing with something more energetic than a pebble would need much more.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:58 pm

I think fr0st is still there, but he goes online infrequently.
That or he mostly just lurks around.
I have seen his username on the 'online'-list a few times recently tho, so propably lurking.
Quotes:
Spoiler: