Weather

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
Re: Weather

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 am

Yeah, I think "Downfall" is fine being global, and then have what that means change. So some biomes will rain acid, others will never rain.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 am

Which is basically vanilla MC .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:22 am

Yes. This is a minecraft mod. I fail to see the problem with deciding not to screw with something.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:33 am

I fail to see how you manage to see me suggesting to screw with it. What I wrote there is basically == "No need to change the code" .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:44 am

That's actually the main reason I'm asking. I had things in mind like extreme blizzards and sandstorms on ice and desert planets, volcanic eruptions and ash rain on lava worlds, periods of poisonous spores in the air on jungle planets, things like that. Through the weather system. A perfectly natural way of increasing the danger on worlds with high resource pools.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 am

Saravanth wrote:That's actually the main reason I'm asking. I had things in mind like extreme blizzards and sandstorms on ice and desert planets, volcanic eruptions and ash rain on lava worlds, periods of poisonous spores in the air on jungle planets, things like that. Through the weather system. A perfectly natural way of increasing the danger on worlds with high resource pools.
You can easily sort that out with biomes.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 am

...I know. The way I had it in mind was that planets, except for terran starter worlds, were one set of biomes, pure volcanic/desert/ice/[insert planet theme] worlds. Those extreme hazards would occur on such "planet-biomes". The way weather does. I KNOW.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 am

Most terran planets should have a couple of complementary biomes each (maybe jungle and grasslands, taiga and tundra, desert and arid mountains, etc.). The largest planets should have three or four biomes at most. One-biome planets should be a bit smaller than the average planet, to compensate for the reduced variety by basically forcing you to spread to other planets.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:40 pm

When I say themed planets, you should imagine all biomes being aligned to one theme, but still with different kinds of biomes on each. Like a desert world, it could have desert mountains, sand deserts, big dunes, small dunes, little oases, oceans and beaches, savannas, and more. A planet staying true to just one theme doesn't mean that it is less exciting and varied than others.

And in my opinion there should be subtypes for terran planets. Like mainly cold themed, being like sibiria, scandinavia and rather northern countries, consisting of wide pine forests and taigas, or perhaps tropical themed terran planets, with tropic jungles (although not as dense or wide as alien jungle worlds), larger oceans, isles, a volcano here and there, stuff like that. A choice among those terran starting world types would actually be one of the few things I'd let a server owner do himself.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:52 pm

We all agree that the smallest weather gets is biome scale, right?
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm

In terms of scale, yeah, I think so...

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Iv121 wrote:I fail to see how you manage to see me suggesting to screw with it. What I wrote there is basically == "No need to change the code" .
Oh, okay then. Sounds like we agree. Sorry, I was tired. Yeah.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15 pm

For the record, we can't do real spheres after all. I thought I had found a way, but it turns out I had just screwed up on the math. Still topographically impossible.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:15 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:For the record, we can't do real spheres after all. I thought I had found a way, but it turns out I had just screwed up on the math. Still topographically impossible.
Settled, then. Unless someone wants triangular planets.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Thought about that, too. Anything that's not a cube is going to have the same mapping problem.