Armour and shielding

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Re: Armour and shielding

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Because I think it's a bad idea.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 16, 2013 4:48 pm

If you don't have a reason then don't post. Simple as that.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Hmm. Then it's because it's an odd, metagamey idea that doesn't make a ton of sense and adds nothing whatsoever of value to the mod, and in fact would make combat damage faintly ridiculous. You shoot a missile into a ship, and the damage appears somewhere else because the damaged blocks are in the same 'group' as the blocks you actually shot? Let's not.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Thu May 16, 2013 5:16 pm

on a ship you will get cracks
and decompression

this is fine because blocks will dissapear in form of a crack if a crack appears in the nose of a ship [due to compression and decompression and hull bendability] cracks will appear everywhere on the ship and a crack wil also do damage to surrounding blocks =>groups because of vacuum making a ship crumble in a nice way
and the possibility to take out little parts of a ship /take gigant parts of a ship

but going to sleep now see ya later

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 pm

That makes no sense. First off, sudden decompression isn't so much an explosion as a big leak. That means that the blocks around it would degrade, because the air is being sucked out. The air, not the ship's insides.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Damage will appear locally and be procedurally generated based on the type of damage. Armor piercing weapons will make clean holes, collisions will generate long fractures, etc.

The reason for abstract HP is that there isn't really a practical range for HP on individual hull blocks. Take TNT for example. The minimum damage TNT can do to a surface is strip one layer. Anything less and there is no damage. If you dropped a TNT block on a ship and the TNT block can damage it, you've just lost a meter of hull plating. A second hit destroys another meter; it has to. With per-block HP, there is no in-between because blocks can't store hitpoint metadata. You get 4 bits of data per block to do with as you please, unless it is already being used for something. That's a fundamental structure in Minecraft and we can't change it, nor do I think there is particularly good justification here for trying.

With abstract regional HP, you can take multiple hits before losing blocks, you can restore HP, you can change the stats of the ship through meta upgrades and buffs. None of that would be practical if you were trying to do it block-by-block.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:55 pm

I don't know, on the other side it becomes impossible to penetrate hulls for example, it reduces the localized damage and does not allow you to take out specific parts of the ship (at least until you get it almost blown up when doing so becomes pointless), you can’t protect vulnerable areas and if someone fills his cargo bay with armor blocks suddenly his 1m thick hull becomes impenetrable. If you manage to combine both ways I have no objections as a global HP pool is not too bad.

@ Joykler your answer didn't help at all, how do you decide which blocks belong to a group, automatically , in a way that would make sense when you look on the ship ?
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:31 am

You could have certain types of damage bypass hitpoints and directly remove blocks, or vice versa.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri May 17, 2013 11:08 am

when you first build it it will automaticly make sections
these sections are just a number of blocks that are close to eachother
after this you can edit the sections by a special programm

it would be like this
you have a group of 100 block that covers your left wing
than you can think well i want the hull to be stronger in a total and have each section e protected in another layer
so you drag the selection back to only the hul and start selecting blocks
you can do this until you reach 100 then you need to get the next section.

a crack wil appear where the first hit lands on a section
then it wil widen with each next hit,when the crack reaches a next section it will give that section 1/3 of the damage it gets
but lowers its own damage by the same amount [because the hit will have a larger area of impact the damage is reduced]
if a crack gets too wide the block in the middle will be destroyd
cracks can also make holes in the hull and from such a hole new cracks can spring

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:10 am

Well it seems impractical ...It works identically to the simple block method while adding unnecessary complexity.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri May 17, 2013 11:24 am

the diffrence is that this systeem doesnt have as much blocks that need to be calculated
in addition you have a prettier damage system that makes nice holes in your hull
and adds the fact that when your ships hull is compromised you will get damage faster

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 am

The pretty holes will be prettier if you make a program that can calculate what "pretty" is because I don't trust humans on this anymore -.- . The same effect you get when you shoot an AoE weapon with a blast radius, both the nice holes and a sector that is automatically created exactly for your need. Although it is more efficient I believe marking like that a ship will be a pain in the butt for players which is something we really want to avoid, especially if it has no impact on gameplay. Besides slightly better cost efficiency I see no reason to implement it unless you find a way to calculate those zones initially.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 pm

hit zone
expand
if hit bigger than 1 surrounding blocks get 50 % damage
if hit bigger than 10 take random block in a 5 block radius around previous broken block and do damage

this way the computer will make nice cracks in the hull and eventually split open the whole hull because each missing block wil have a chance to destroy a new block on hit around a soft spot

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

In what universe do random missing blocks near where hits landed look better than actual accurate simulations?

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:31 pm

A universe where you can't use a PhysX or DMM physics engine, for one.