NPCs

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: NPCs

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well you suggest to interact with it which is problematic again couse city is not your property in my model.
Interaction =/= property. Let me clarify - trading with a city does not make it your own anymore than trading with a planet in Freelancer makes it your territory. Everyone has something to gain, the NPCs progress faster than normal, and the player(s) get weapons and recruits. Players may elect to fortify and defend a city to retain the convenience it offers, and perhaps later on in Phase 3 rent land from it on which to build or even form alliances with them, but I don't think a city should ever be 'owned' by an individual player.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Yes but you EFFECT it. Remember that this city will also have dozens of other players interacting with it and so with all of the other cities, making them perfectly identical and excluding the need in this trade
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:29 pm

In my opinion, all this would require far too much effort for too little reward to Futurecraft. If we can a hold of the Millenare (is that how you spell it?) code, then we can implement this. However, this will be later in the mod, NPCs this complicated is not required at this time.
This is a signature.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:32 pm

I concede the point. But what will NPC villages be like until something like tech tree'd towns and cities can be made?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:33 pm

normal npc villages with possibel adeptions

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:07 pm

Tiel wrote:I concede the point. But what will NPC villages be like until something like tech tree'd towns and cities can be made?
Still keep the same villager behavior (however, trading different things for a currency rather than emeralds), but alter village generation with more and larger buildings.
This is a signature.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:10 pm

Currency like Millenaire that the entire galaxy unanimously uses? Also, where do NPCs on ships come from? Do you pay individual villagers this mysterious currency in order to enlist them?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 pm

NPCs on ships should be generated on ships when they're built. The size of the ship determines how many NPCs there are. They wander the ship, shooting anything that isn't friendly, and occasionally pressing buttons.
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:43 am

I still don't see tiny villages fitting the mod of massive space exploration, it breaks the immersion and feel of the game. You surely can't use those for your ship, they will do what ? They barely know how to use a sword. Yes code-wise it's not a limit but lore wise it break the immersion and feel again.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 am

Iv121 wrote:I still don't see tiny villages fitting the mod of massive space exploration, it breaks the immersion and feel of the game. You surely can't use those for your ship, they will do what ? They barely know how to use a sword.
We could always alter the village genoration to make it look like a small high tech colony, kinda like moon villages in galacticraft. In any case, even in the far future; there will always be small technophobic cults :D

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 am

Yea but people will want to see huge cities not small villages (something they better see from a window of a spaceport couse making a huge real city is really really hard ant not worth it)

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:18 am

Iv121 wrote:Yea but people will want to see huge cities not small villages (something they better see from a window of a spaceport couse making a huge real city is really really hard ant not worth it)
We could make 3 types of village genoration: Small high-tech colonys, Medium sized colony/city things and large orbital npc spaceports. That way the player only discovers the larger citys when he develops some degree of techno stuff. Although it would be harder to code, it would solve the problem of futurecraft npc's turning into a spacebound version of tale of kingdoms.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:49 am

Forget the generating code, it's impossible to make that big city feel real and accessible. It can only be made as a deco out of the space port window, again another argument for limiting ground stuff. I don't think we will have enough builders to actually make a city that big, and we also need to make them at least a bit unique and not clones of each other. That is too much of a work to be done.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 am

It probably is, but just a thought, what if we take the buildings from FV on Avengers server, and randomise thier location in an npc city, that could work :) Again i have no idea if that is possible though.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:41 am

That will only work for a medium sized town. If you plan to make a real city you risk finding yourself making GTA VI just with accessible interiors. The buildings in a futuristic city are COLLOSAL. Giant skyscrapers touching the sky. It is a stunning scenery from the windows of the star dock again but really hard to make real and accessible as you would expect from an NPC "village"