Ship Yards

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
Re: Ship Yards

Post by joykler » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:25 pm

but when falling into a pit with lava
you always have a chanse you drop something outside the pool so you go get it

but here that is impossible because its to far away without a ship that would take you days to make
if you would be able to gather some parts of the ship it may be way easyer to rebuild

and you should try to compare it to

you go into a mine with 4 stacks of diamond blocks without these blocks you cant go in
in the surface you would be able to find a diamond every hour

but when you die you lose tem all on the bottom of the mine but you cant go down to save any left

because you would have no choise you have to use a aship
it would be devastating to loose it under all circumstances

you should be able to save a part of it even if you dont own a second vessel

because you dont need an iron pick in your chest you need 4 stacks of diamond

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:28 pm

@ Iv
I understand you fully. You're saying there's a difference between going up to diamond and going up to a spaceship. I'm saying that in either case a wise person is going to have a backup in the event that they take stupid risks.

You're giving this argument in defense of having an ingame schematic marketplace, but I ask you, what does that solve? A schematic isn't going to magically pop the ship in front of you, at least, I hope that's not what you're proposing. You'd still have to gather resources just as you would without it, or failing that, have a trove of minerals and such to build another, in which case why wouldn't you have another ship ready to go in the first place? An ingame economy could easily be facilitated by just leaving schematic 'items' or whatever out of the question, as people lose and buy ships with materials and others rise up to supply that demand. Not everyone is going to have a state-of-the-art shipyard, after all, but even without a market for schems you can still design a ship, save the blueprints, and make your own dry dock or supply it to manufacturers to build.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

but for the fact that when you loose one of your ships
you could use a salvation vessel is a good idea isnt it

maybe you should hire it for a really really small fee

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:41 pm

If fr0st says wreckage is good, that's probably a job that will be in some demand, assuming the enemy doesn't just tug the husk away. We were on a server once called Madrealms which had airships and such which were extremely valuable, and thus were recovered whenever possible, but more often than not it was found more desirable to simply leave what was left of the ships and construct new ones.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Tiel wrote:As far as distinguishing between 'modified' and 'original' designs.

To be honest I'm opposed to any schematic marketplace, for what it's worth. Ideally people will buy ships, not the plans to build them. Players could release schematics on the site for download by users, but a market for it ingame just seems unnecessary.
External schematic marketplace, maybe. Over PMs on MC forums.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:17 pm

That's what I'm saying.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Also, about this respawning thing: Here's a synopsis of what happens in Normal Minecraft, FTB, and Futurecraft:

Normal Minecraft: w00t more grinding for diamonds again. At least I have a spare diamond pick.
FTB: Well, I have enough stuff to make that quantum suit and my quarry is still running, so I should be OK, but man, the loss of that full PowerSuit is going to hurt.
Futurecraft: Darn, that's a dreadnaught. My shipyards still are running on my homeworld, and I do have that frigate stored in the bunker.

Stupid Minecraft: AAAAHHH ALL MY DIAMONDS BACK TO PUNCHING WOOD AHHH
Stupid FTB: AAAAHHH ALL MY STUFF BACK TO PUNCHING WOOD AAAH
Stupid Futurecraft: AAAAAAHHHH I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW I STORED ALL MY STUFF IN MY DREADNOUGHT AAAHH BACK TO PUNCHING WOOD!

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Tiel wrote:That's what I'm saying.
Good. Then I agree. Client side is easier too.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 am

Just remember Joykler that if someone blows you up he will probably salvage you, so there will be nothing left to pick up. It's a huge problem considering you carry your whole house and stuff on your back with no backups (@ Tiel) because you simply have no other home. Even if you do your wooden bed and iron tools you stored there won't probably help you get the rare materials you spent on your ship, either this or the ships are all going to remain rather simple taking out the point in research and progression (ppl don't live long enough to make that progress)

Please notice that in most MMOs you keep the things on you with you when you die, maybe with resource penalty sometimes.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 am

Iv121 wrote:Just remember Joykler that if someone blows you up he will probably salvage you, so there will be nothing left to pick up. It's a huge problem considering you carry your whole house and stuff on your back with no backups (@ Tiel) because you simply have no other home. Even if you do your wooden bed and iron tools you stored there won't probably help you get the rare materials you spent on your ship, either this or the ships are all going to remain rather simple taking out the point in research and progression (ppl don't live long enough to make that progress)

Please notice that in most MMOs you keep the things on you with you when you die, maybe with resource penalty sometimes.
In EVE I would laugh so hard if somebody bought a supercarrier before they had several carrier and battlecruisers already.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 am

What do you mean ? How does EVE handle it ?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 am

Iv121 wrote:Just remember Joykler that if someone blows you up he will probably salvage you, so there will be nothing left to pick up. It's a huge problem considering you carry your whole house and stuff on your back with no backups (@ Tiel) because you simply have no other home. Even if you do your wooden bed and iron tools you stored there won't probably help you get the rare materials you spent on your ship, either this or the ships are all going to remain rather simple taking out the point in research and progression (ppl don't live long enough to make that progress)

Again, you're using this as a defense for a marketplace for schematic items, which doesn't circumvent the issue of getting back on your feet at all. On madrealms people frequently lost their ships and had to start over. It was difficult, but most managed, especially those that knew not to bring all their g'damn stuff with them on risky trips. This isn't Space Nomad, and even if you elect to choose that playstyle that's a personal choice - if you decide not to have a base and just screw around in a spaceship and wind up losing it all you have no one to blame but yourself, just like in vanilla Minecraft. And unlike madrealms here you have a ton of planets to start over on.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 am

Iv121 wrote:What do you mean ? How does EVE handle it ?
"Dang it I lost my ship back to the very starting ship because there's no ground stuff before ships". Unless, of course, you were smart and had a backup ship.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:52 am

Tiel wrote: Again, you're using this as a defense for a marketplace for schematic items

WHAT ? This has nothing to do with that thing, you talked about deaths I stated my opinion, is that a witch-hunt or something ?

I wasn't even talking about ship recovery which has indeed nothing to do with selling ships via schematics, I was just presenting the problem with the way of going back and harvest it.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:22 am

Moderator going offtopic? Interesting..
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]