Ship Yards

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran
Ship Yards

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:23 am

There has been a lot of discussion about how these are going to work. Post your ideas/comments, then argue and discuss. Any things that prove useful towards the understanding/creation of shipyards will be put in the idea summary section:

Summary of shipyards:

-They will be used to build ships in a faster way than by hand.
-Will work as large, empty area that will be defined by special blocks controlled by a computer/control chair.
-Allows access to the "store", were designs can be uploaded/downloaded, for a price.
-Designs will be represented virtually, and can be explored/used virtually (no idea how this is going to work), before being physically built.
-Designs can be built as if in creative mode, with some world-editing capabilities.
-Construction will require the raw materials (we will need to define what "raw" constitutes), which will then be assembled according to the design entered.
-There will be an alternate version for designing buildings, which is not limited by space, but rather allows you to build a virtual building without limits. However, it is still constructed in the same method. This will also lead to the possibility of virtually destroying blocks before construction begins.
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Ship Yards

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:34 am

Contains your and other designs for quick rebuild / reproduction. Takes required materials and builds the ship.

Can publish your designs for sell. One can choose your design just like any other design or his design and build it. When he presses "build" he automatically pays you the sum you asked for. It is an open market so you can ask for any sum you want. It's up to the buyer to think if it's worth it. Designs can be submitted for "tests" to get some smexxy seals of approval (Which increases the price OFC) while paying some money for this.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:45 am

Iv121 wrote:Contains your and other designs for quick rebuild / reproduction. Takes required materials and builds the ship.

Can publish your designs for sell. One can choose your design just like any other design or his design and build it. When he presses "build" he automatically pays you the sum you asked for. It is an open market so you can ask for any sum you want. It's up to the buyer to think if it's worth it. Designs can be submitted for "tests" to get some smexxy seals of approval (Which increases the price OFC) while paying some money for this.
All very true. This is basic level content that goes in this sub-forum, but features that aren't necessary but wanted go in Phase 3 (just thinking on my keyboard).
This is a signature.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:05 am

Shipyards need a maximum build size based on their size, equipment, etc. I can't build a dreadnought with a tiny shuttle outpost.

And for construction, temporarily warp the player to another dimension (ALA Virtual Reality) with creative mode. The dimension contains nothing except a small platform to spawn on and build off. Has functions similar to worldedit/mcedit, where they build the ship, find dimensions, costs, gridlines.

Functions like mirror are a must, it would literally cut build time in half by mirroring the design on both sides.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:44 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:Shipyards need a maximum build size based on their size, equipment, etc. I can't build a dreadnought with a tiny shuttle outpost.

And for construction, temporarily warp the player to another dimension (ALA Virtual Reality) with creative mode. The dimension contains nothing except a small platform to spawn on and build off. Has functions similar to worldedit/mcedit, where they build the ship, find dimensions, costs, gridlines.

Functions like mirror are a must, it would literally cut build time in half by mirroring the design on both sides.
Something similar is already in the OP.
This is a signature.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:02 pm

I suggest you play a free game called battleshipcraft (iOS) for inspiration for ship yards, I imagine the FC shipyard system being like this but spacey (as in weight doesn't affect it)
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Requires iTunes, malware that installs other software on the computer without user consent.

Nope.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Not necessarily ITunes, and don't use it on a laptop/desktop, only if you have an iPhone/pad, but it is the only good example that I know of that is free.

Or you could just google it
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:18 pm

CNET wrote: CNET Editors' note: The download button opens the iTunes App Store, where you may continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed with an active iTunes account in order to download and install the software. This download may not be available in some countries.
But okay. Don't have any Apple devices so can't offer input on whatever system they're using xP
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 pm

Let me break it down: each block has a density, weight, and armour value (obviously we won't need density) and the speed, armour and stability of the craft if worked out using this (obviously we are in space, so stability isn't an issue). You add propellers to your craft (we would use thrusters) and the power output for each propellor is worked out from the horsepower of the engines, and the number of propellers. Also a craft must be a certain size to support big guns, and the amount of guns you can add is determined by the area available, but also the overall weight of a craft, for example, if you have all engines, you have few guns. Now I am not doing the best job at explaining all this, but you should get the idea
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:31 pm

the weapons would also have a weight

and the amount of power the thrusters can use
tells you how you would need to balance your ship

has anyone read my whole computer thing because
this is also a part of that

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 pm

No. No complicated inertia. All ships will be equipped with inertial dampeners, otherwise acceleration/maneuvering would leave you as flat as a pancake. This makes it a lot simpler to code (no physics), and a lot easier to play.
This is a signature.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:43 am

Iv121 wrote:Contains your and other designs for quick rebuild / reproduction. Takes required materials and builds the ship.

I really like this idea (for obvious reasons), but what's to keep someone from taking your design and reselling it as their own? Does FC protect copyright, or is it a completely free market?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:48 am

Given Iv's approach to development I'm gonna say no, too complex for now.

I'd prefer just building, getting a client-side schematic, and building it in my own shipyard. They don't have to be items or anything like that; users could exchange their schematics in fc like they do now over sites like dropbox and mediafire. Maybe when the official FC site comes up have a section devoted to sharing them.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:51 am

Tiel wrote:Given Iv's approach to development I'm gonna say no, too complex for now.

I'd prefer just building, getting a client-side schematic, and building it in my own shipyard. They don't have to be items or anything like that; users could exchange their schematics in fc like they do now over sites like dropbox and mediafire. Maybe when the official FC site comes up have a section devoted to sharing them.
That, is a very good idea; then al the ships that have been built in the ship design are will actually have a use (^-^)/