Gate & Wormhole System

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Re: Gate & Wormhole System

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:46 pm

I don't know. Nobody was terribly enthusiastic about it last time it was proposed, and there are some very real issues with incentive if server owners don't actually own the servers they are donating. But from a technical standpoint, it would be a much better arrangement.

The gist of how it would work is a central controler would assign different servers to different planets and star systems, depending on the amount of traffic and locality. If one goes down, another server is ready to take its place with limited service interruption. It's kind of complicated but entirely doable.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Most minecraft servers reside on VPS's, so...

I mean, if you're doing something similar to that Bungee system on the minez/lms/otherstufficantremember server, that'd mean one shoddy host could slow down the entire futurecraft galaxy.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 pm

At worst you would have one planet or star system with crappy performance. Which you would anyway with dedicated planet servers, only this way you have to option of relegating the bad server to somewhere with less traffic.

I have no idea how this will all work with vps. Everybody is going to want money if they are themselves renting space.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:55 pm

I say we ask Bill Gates for charity to rent an entire datacenter for the next 30 years.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:30 pm

Alright, on the subject of gates and stuff, have two steps. The Warpgate and the Fleetgate. The Warpgate can take players with empty inventory to another server with a Warpgate. It could be used by peaceful factions. After all, if a guy with nothing but his clothes on warps into a place with the tech to build a Warpgate, they can't really revolt. The Warpgate is built on the ground and would be around 5 m radius with swirly things inside. The Fleetgate is the huge thing that would be carried into space by a giant spacecraft. This is how you open your world to the Galaxy. You can jump ships in, they can jump ships in. To close it, you would need to wait 24 hours.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 am

Yes to warp-gates. The larger ones are called jump-gates (no discussion about this), and would require a large amount of power to turn on, but use little while on and can be turned off instantly. You would stop an enemy from coming in my placing a force-field in-front of the gate. This would destroy enemy ships instantly, but the enemy ships would get fair warning before going through.
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:04 am

K this is the 3rd time someone necros a thread in the last 24 hours, I don't even know what to say, maybe I should actually start doing something. So before doing something you tell me what should I do in order to stop it ?
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 pm

Iv121 wrote:K this is the 3rd time someone necros a thread in the last 24 hours, I don't even know what to say, maybe I should actually start doing something. So before doing something you tell me what should I do in order to stop it ?
Always the ideal moderator.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Iv121 wrote:K this is the 3rd time someone necros a thread in the last 24 hours, I don't even know what to say, maybe I should actually start doing something. So before doing something you tell me what should I do in order to stop it ?
There's a punishment for necroposting written in the rules. As a moderator, your job is to look these things up and act on them. ;) If there are necroposters around, do something about it. That's what you're for.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm

I understand that. On the one hand this thread is actually sticky and I don't think the bump was made on purpose, on the other hand I cannot let people Necro either. For now just an unofficial warning - please see the dates of the last post before posting in a thread. The next necro will receive the reserved points for necro .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN