Progression

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Progression

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon May 06, 2013 12:46 pm

It had to be done, as it distinctly impacts everything else in the mod.

Where does it start? Where does it end? Will players work their way up from sea-based carriers to massive spaceborne battleships, or will it simply be a matter of combining materials in a seemingly random order to make a ship block and then point it at the sky? This really needs to be figured out.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Re: Progression

Post by Prototype » Mon May 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Start off with basic material, then craft complex parts, in order to make small craft with limited spaceborne capabilities, or save these parts to construct larger ships. As you progress, you can craft increasingly complex, but increasingly useful utilities which will help you make the more complex and expensive components for whatever you need.

So as you progress, it becomes easier to craft things, but it will take time to progress from tier to tier, but once you have reached a tier, it is easier to craft lower tier things, and same tier stuff becomes relatively easier, and makes it easier to progress to the next tier. You could go from tier 0 to top tier, but it would be very difficult, and you wouldn't get the useful stuff along the way.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:29 pm

As the mod is about space I believe it is important to give the player access to space technology as soon as possible, most basic but space technology. That means having the recourses needed available and at right proportions (Don't force people to find like 64 diamonds to make a core, best if it is made out of iron or any other ore as common so again access is given right away).

Theoretically there is no limit to what you can build but I strongly recommend not allowing to build anything bigger than a cruiser as anything beyond becomes incredibly OP. Keep the dreadnaughts for the AI.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm

There is a skill tree which is required to manufacture certain things. It's not just a resource hunt like vanilla minecraft. I think that is the most important component of progression.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Don't make it so we have to mine for exp or something. Personally, I'd like it to be more of a resource development thing, where you have to build a few machines to make rocket fuel, then make a rocket, and then go to the moon for resources to make new machines to build a better rocket. This would be a fairly quick process, but also allow the players time to set up around the system, so that they have multiple places to go in the event of an invasion. This means that instead of a midrange fleet coming in and steamrolling over the two frigates in defense then blowing the planet up, they have to go in and maybe fight an asteroid base, a moon base, ect. From these bases could also be more and more resources the further from the Home you get, making the asteroid belt into a more important place for the defenders. In the end, space should be easy to get to and should be relatively easy to colonize, and relatively easy to fortify, but attacking should be more difficult, but also possible. There should be quick development then slower expansion into other servers, making a good balance of attack vs defend.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:24 am

What's wrong with a resource hunt? We can have necessary and valuable materials that are more common on some worlds than others, breeding trade and/or war. But all the basic and mid-level materials should be accessible with difficulty at the start of the tier, and with more ease as your technology improves.
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:42 am

Watch it and don't make it stand in the way of the player , in some cases the resource grind in the same tekkit for example made it quite unplayable without some modifications. The long a horrific list of what you need to get even for the low tier stuff easily repels beginners. You should offer beginners the ability to do a lot of stuff advanced players can but allow them to modify their machinery over time so that the progressing and resource collecting feels natural and not forced and painful.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:17 am

I say keep the progression in line with the normal progression of minecraft, as in wood is easy to find, you use it to get stone tools, which then make iron possible to collect, which allows for diamonds, but we'd be doing it on a bigger scale
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:21 am

Really ? Wood ? That is an immersion breaker. As I said if it is about space let the palyer get to space and not toy around with wood, that is not why the downloaded the mod.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:28 am

That was an example numbnuts, and a placeholder for whatever we use as the easily acessable basic material
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:59 am

oh ok :[

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 am

If Iv had his way we'd all start out as astronauts in the mod with no surface contact whatsoever..
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:57 am

Pretty much, do I hear a ridiculing ? Don't worry, I'm not the first to come with this ridiculous idea, that is pretty much how every single space game is doing it, there is a reason for it I suggest you don't touch it. People tend to touch too much and change things trying to be "unique" and "cool" and that is how games end up with 4/10s or worse. People came for space, give them space, don’t go sideways (Have you ever seen those "something simulators" that make you do some boring mundane tasks instead of why you actually got your game for ? Good think you don't have to go to the toilet every 10 seconds ... ).

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:07 am

Ships need metals and other stuff. Needs planet to get stuff to get ships. Why not do some neat stuff with planet?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:21 am

Remember this is still a minecraft mod, not a standalone game, we want to keep the elements of minecraft.
I'm not in favour of putting people straight into an unfamiliar environment, I think they should spawn on land, and from there, there should be a relatively simple way to get into space
Spoiler:

Spoiler: