How inter server travel could be done?

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
SubjectToChange
Recruit
Recruit
How inter server travel could be done?

Post by SubjectToChange » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:13 pm

So I was walking around today and thinking when I thought about the issue of the interserver travel part of the mod.

Here what I came up with:
We take the code used to connect with servers when you pick them from a server list and we splice it with the nether portal code so instead of teleporting to the nether it used the multiplayer connection code thats already existant and executes that.
Anyone have any thoughts?

*edit Also using the nether portal code could allow ships (if there becoming entitys I dont know how there being done) to travel through the portal as well.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Re: How inter server travel could be done?

Post by  ҉  » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 pm

It's not going to be done with a portal, or at least not one like that. Something like a stargate or jumpgate was the original idea, but some variant on warp/slipspace/hyper/skip/phase/jump drives may be used instead/as well.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Re: How inter server travel could be done?

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Each server could have a code of numbers that can be remembered by the main FC server, and then when a ship travels the captain enters the code as a location, and the FTL drive takes them there. They could also need a gate to go to servers, or something.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: