Inter-server Travel / Jumpgates

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Inter-server Travel / Jumpgates

Post by Error » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 am

Because I'm not sure we're all on the same page here, I assume inter-server travel is accomplished through indestructible jumpgates. You fly up, set the destination, and *handwave* arrive at your destination.
In laymans terms:
1. Approach jumpgate.
2. Send pre-packaged signal (click on button).
3. Get prompt, type in destination server.
4. Press "go".
5. Jump to location.
6. ???
7. Profit!

Is this more or less accurate?

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Re: Inter-server Travel / Jumpgates

Post by Keon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 am

I don't think Phase 1 is for this.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 am

I think this is phase 2 material

This sounds a lot like the system used in Galaxy on Fire 2, which worked alright, but perhaps you could install drives on your ship that allow inter server travel without jump gates, but ships without these drives can still use the gates to travel.
The only problem I can see it pirates can camp around the gates and gobble up any n00bs that want to travel.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Prototype wrote:I think this is phase 2 material

This sounds a lot like the system used in Galaxy on Fire 2, which worked alright, but perhaps you could install drives on your ship that allow inter server travel without jump gates, but ships without these drives can still use the gates to travel.
The only problem I can see it pirates can camp around the gates and gobble up any n00bs that want to travel.
That may actually be a good thing, it would provide the incentive to build a larger ship w/warp drive in any case. Or we could make area around the portals a safezone, that would stop the noobs raging.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Keon wrote:I don't think Phase 1 is for this.
You are right. Phase 1 should cover a technical discussion of inter-server mechanics, e.g. how servers link together and how new servers join the galaxy. Phase 2 should cover the gameplay element of it.