NPCs

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign
Re: NPCs

Post by Laserbilly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:34 am

I like the idea of finding a primitive village of NPCs on a planet, like you would in normal MC with squidward village (except they could be normal MC people, four-armed Martians, floating squirds, dwarves, or some other alien), and building it up from nothing.

When you start the game, a box pops up and says: "your ship has crashed on an uncharted planet, you are the sole survivor." Then you would start the way you would normally start a Minecraft game; gathering resources and exploring.

Before too long, you'll find a village populated with primitive savages that you can exploit for cheap labor; after you've won them over, or course. The villagers would have the same growth mechanics as the original squidwards and you need to build dwellings for them to grow their population. After you've built a few new homes, their numbers begin to expand.

When their population has reached a certain number, say 25, you can challenge their chief, kill him, and become the leader of the village. When this is accomplished, you can then begin assigning simple tasks to the villagers; lumberjack, miner, hunter, and farmer. You assign them tasks by giving them the tools they need for the job (an axe for a lumberjack, pickaxe and a stack of torches for the miner, spear for the hunter, and a hoe and a stack of seeds for the farmer.

After the population has reached another hurdle, say 100, you can assign them more complicated tasks like building simple structures (villager houses, walls, and roads), soldier, etc.

When you've built a city of 300(?) NPCs, you can begin training NPCs to be used on your ships like engineers, gunners, comms officers, and so on. Eventually producing a surplus of workers so you can hire them out to other players for a profit.

Or, you could just skip all this, find some other player's city, and hire their crews.

EDIT: This would be a second waves release. Allowing the player to get to space quickly, giving him a comfy economic base to fall back on when his ship is destroyed, and adding another element to the game (a place to call home, cheap labor, something to defend if he wishes, etc.).

I think for the first release of the game, we should insert a trade station in orbit of each new server and populate it with NPCs to trade with and hire. That would solve the problem of stumbling on a futuristic city in the middle of a jungle. Or, come to think of it, colonies might work too.
Last edited by Laserbilly on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 am

I think 2 is only figuring out how something will function right? Not the details? We've already discussed what NPCs do and what role they fill aboard ships, how you obtain them and train them would be something for 3, if I'm not mistaken. So topic fulfilled?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:11 pm

NPCs spawn on ships and wander around. If they see a bad guy, they shoot it with pew-pews but are weak. A NPC can man one gun, control one engine, or interact with one module. They will aim rotatable auto-turrets automagically. Most modules need at least one player/npc manning them to even be functional, meaning NPCs are treated somewhat like Pylons or Overlords; you need them to do stuff and if you loose them your ship looses functionality. Note, this will not replace power, it is an additional requirement. NPCs can either be created as:

Human dudes hired from the surface, I don't care how as long as it's simple enough.
Clones: You can replenish crew on the go, but slower than Humans,
Robots/AIs: Better than Humans, quite expensive.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 am

i like it
but i think it should be a bit less

remember that alot of it is computerised
i think each npc
would man a post

you would have
energy
steering
thrust
weapon firing
weapon reload
guard
shielding
life support
repair
misc
in each of these catagoryse you would need one if you use it
for each person you add it becomes faster better ect

because you wouldnt be able to handle 1000 npcs
but 40 should be doable

Instinct-XIV
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Xtreme gaming QC
IGN:InstinctXIV

Post by Instinct-XIV » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:05 pm

It's just what I think...

Futurecraft should start in a main space stations or city's.(leave the city building for colonization on planets)

Crew should be hired in the main city's/space stations.

Ship boarding should only be when the enemy ship is inoperable.(sections of the ship would be inaccessible)

The crew should be divided in 3 sections.(note this is the main crew, guards would be available)

1.Weapon systems

2.Command & Communications

3.Engineering
Last edited by Instinct-XIV on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Instinct-XIV wrote:Futurecraft should start in a main space stations or city's.(leave the city building for colonization on planets)

Crew should be hired in the main city's/space stations.

Ship boarding should only be when the ship is inoperable.(sections of the ship would be inaccessible)

The crew should be divided in 3 sections.(note this is the main crew, guards would be available)

1.Weapon systems

2.Command & Communications

3.Engineering
F**k that oiskla!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:03 pm

That should be 'oisk'. 'Oisk'la' is the adjective form.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Instinct-XIV
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Xtreme gaming QC
IGN:InstinctXIV

Post by Instinct-XIV » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 am

Oisk la? What ever that mean. Live with it!

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:43 am

It means s**t. That idea seems s***ty.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 pm

I do agree that crew should be hired at star ports.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 pm

When we get the Futurecraft Galaxy set up, I think everyone new should spawn on a galactic-hub planet. This would be a neutral planet, and would have everything a player needs to get started. From here, you could find out about and join factions, or buy a ship and start your own faction, or become a pirate/explorer.

I had more to say, which was related to the topic, but I forgot what it was...
This is a signature.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 pm

If you cut the minecraft portion it becomes less futurecraft and more blockade runner, in which case people have no real reason not to play the latter. Speaking of which, why haven't we just become a gaming clan for that or one of the other million voxel-based sci fi games that seem to be coming out? I don't mean any disrespect towards fr0st or anyone else who's keeping this project going, but FC's not bound to be due for quite a while now, and it's no one's fault save the ambition that birthed it in the first place.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 am

Meh, what game?
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -