Electricity

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Electricity

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Yea but you loose the pleasure of literally going and fixing it (When you are in human only PvP mode if we gonna add this) and also this is quite imperative for gameplay - to build your ship so that the cables all are protected and when they are hit that an engineer will literally need to go there, because if there are fires or hull breach or invaders and he fixes it from the safe bridge it kinda ruins the fun.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

That sounds more tedious than enjoyable.

On another note, would it be feasible to simply expand on Minecraft's redstone system? Have redstone wire - dust compacted into a plastic tubing - that carries signal farther and so forth, wireless redstone, that jazz.

If you ask me one of the shortcomings of Tekkit is that they add all this new stuff to the point where you literally have two types of computer that do the exact same thing. Perhaps make a crafting recipe for contemporary wiring and do away with redstone ore?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Eh like redpower ? Powering a ship with Redstone doesn't make sense lore-wise while the cables and such are literally the same as electricity or anything else.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Tiel wrote: On another note, would it be feasible to simply expand on Minecraft's redstone system? Have redstone wire - dust compacted into a plastic tubing - that carries signal farther and so forth, wireless redstone, that jazz.
No. Redstone is FPS murder. Building circuits from gates is fun, but there is way, way too much overhead vs. utility. If we want a server to be able to host sophisticated ship systems, we have to design closer to the metal. Which in this case means scripting on top of a virtual machine, so not that close at all.

Redpower is closer to the ideal, but I don't think we can match its functionality without copying it, and I would prefer not to copycat any more than we have to. We can still include something in-between, like the data bus, i.e. one cable can carry multiple signals, but each signal is akin to redstone.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:30 pm

So is removing redstone an option then? And in its place put a silicon-like ore or something for circuits and such?

Blockland has this really cool eventing system but somehow I doubt it'll be applicable here xP
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:33 pm

come on my system is easy to use
its easy to run
and people to have to design chambers for them

i see my terminal as a two block machine two blocks attached to eachother
you can turn it and put it between things but you would need to protect it

the mainframe would be a 3x3x2 block 3 wide 3 long and 2 high

in a hexagon like shape this would also need to be protected
the same for each machine
each machine would be one unit but in diffrent sizes
so these things need to be protected and ships need to be disinged to be able to handle these things

i have played blockland this shouldnt be anything like it

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:07 pm

I really think that, until you get wireless transmission (Sorta expensive), then we need wiring. Why not wiring be either a freestanding block, OR by placing a block on it you can 'hide' it while preserving functionality. Once ship editor, you designate blocks to be wire blocks that carry wiring.

I really don't want a dumbed-down system like so many other games do. We're building our own SHIPS for pete's sake, we don't need fixed wattages and what not! I'm fine without resistance and load, but there needs to be some sort of thing here.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Let's just simplify electricity into potential energy. That gets rid of the whole amp/volt thing. We just have "Power" and "Power" can go anywhere on a ship it is wired to and that wants to receive power, up to the max power that thing can drain per tick.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 am

Yea we've been through this , we need to update the OP -.-

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 am

I did update it. It's a system like Keon said. READ it first before complaining. This was updated before Keon spoke.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:58 am

Professor Fenway wrote:I did update it. It's a system like Keon said. READ it first before complaining. This was updated before Keon spoke.
Sorry. In what post?

Also, I'm in favor of wiring on all but the entity-ships like fighters.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 pm

-_- OP. Essentially what you said, wiring but not complex.