Gate & Wormhole System

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31
Gate & Wormhole System

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:04 pm

As part of phase 2 I am listing a confirmed feature of the mod.

Let me get this started. The Gate & Wormhole System is part of the Inter-server/MMO feature of Futurecraft. (This information assumes you've read the Inter-Server(create link to topic) framework topic in Phase 1) There are two types of gates in Futurecraft.

G.A.T.E. (Galacticly Acclaimed Teleportation Entrance)(someone make a better acronym)
The G.A.T.E. is the standard wormhole device. It connects to the G.A.T.E. network through the DHD (are we still going to do the DHD concept?) for instant transport to any other GATE in the respective universe.

S.U.P.E.R. G.A.T.E. This is a gigantic version of the regular GATE. Because of engineering issues the SUPER GATE can only be constructed in outer space. It consists of 90 individual segments that must connect to complete the SUPERGATE.

(Draft #2)
Last edited by Dux_Tell31 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Gate & Wormhole System

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:52 am

Well to determine the names and nature of those gates we better come up with a canon first.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:50 am

Just a quickie - are the fruitcakes who just want to build going to be accomodated here or is it just going to be one cohesive galaxy? We still haven't quite found a way to discourage rampant PVPing and bullying ingame. I thought the whole 'don't access universe until you build an expensive GATE' would've sufficed there as the decision would've been of their own accord, but evidently something else is needed as it's somewhat harsh to restrict individual players to a solar system because factions can't get their s**t together and build a GATE. Likewise, it'd be unfair to punish people who are perfectly content playing within their own system by having some overly rich faction build a gate and unleash Pandora's Box on everyone.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:22 am

I highly doubt allowing the players to build space gates is a good idea. You know very well my opinion about the factions stuff and why all players must be freelancers and have no commanding authority over planets. They can't control the police if you want to prevent bullying. IF you want to control areas of space do it somewhere far from civilization with pirate raids where there are no police patrols. Everyone gets their share and what they want from the game and everyone is happy. Don't make big factions a thing, because that is the perfect recipe to make bullying, for example against those who don't have a faction. Restricting people physically is also not fair. We better allow them to go wherever they want at their own risk.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Iv121 wrote:I highly doubt allowing the players to build space gates is a good idea. You know very well my opinion about the factions stuff and why all players must be freelancers and have no commanding authority over planets. They can't control the police if you want to prevent bullying. IF you want to control areas of space do it somewhere far from civilization with pirate raids where there are no police patrols. Everyone gets their share and what they want from the game and everyone is happy. Don't make big factions a thing, because that is the perfect recipe to make bullying, for example against those who don't have a faction. Restricting people physically is also not fair. We better allow them to go wherever they want at their own risk.

No, I don't. If everyone's a freelancer it just devolves into an asinine mess. Factions is currently the most popular server mod for minecraft; not implementing something similar to allow players to form guilds and alliances would be suicide. I don't know about land control, if that's your issue with it. Ideally factions would pool their resources and create bombardment shields and ground based MACs rather than rely on Word of God protecting them. If someone wants to play on their lonesome, nothing's stopping them, but they're going to have a harder time of it. That's a reality that's going to occur, factions or no factions.

The reason I think gates should be player made is so that we don't have a OMG FL33T OF D00M!11! suddenly warp in on a community that's just starting out and annihilate them. That's bullying and depending on your perspective, griefing. The stance you have to take here is that everyone's an inflammatory idiot and won't obey basic rules like "don't bomb the living s**t out of people who are still using stone pickaxes". Therefore, it must be enforced by the game itself, and outside of a query of everyone's inventory (which is very infeasible, by the way, far too expensive hardware-side), the most logical solution would be to give players the choice of when they want to join the galaxy as a whole and reap both the benefits and risks of doing so.

There's no issue with that, save for when a megafaction comes along and is all 'lel' and makes a gate just to tick off everyone else by letting armadas of D00M into the solar system prematurely. There needs to be a way to ensure that a majority of players in a server are OK with a gate being built. A simple vote between factions would suffice, perhaps. On the other hand, if not all the factions in the solar system are on friendly terms...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:18 pm

There is no place for factions in FC, there will be only 2 who fight each other. They will bully around anyone who dares to not join one and force their rules on them, that is a chaos. Freelancing is what MC was about and don't deny it. In survival you all alone. You still can join up with anyone you want so you get your factions just don't give power to the factions to do what's on their minds. We already agreed on police NPCs and NOBODY commands them, so you can put it in whatever way you want unless nobody commands them THEY are the authority.

You still lie in illusions everyone is a social creature and can easily team up a factions which is a whole community to get by the rules of. You simply do what you accuse Forge in doing: force people to either be in or out of the game. That is what in finances we call a cartel .

In all discussions we pretty much came up to the same problem - I don't think there is an agreement about what futurecraft is, and don't go blaming me now that im the only stray sheep. You don't agree with joykler who focuses on city building, although you also plan to introduce it. I exclude it. Other restrict player movement while I don't, there is an argument about Aliens. PLS start a new topic settling the final question what futurecraft is.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Iv, who are you talking to?

edit: You know, whatever. I can see this isn't going anywhere.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:27 pm

It wont go anywhere until you answer tihs basic question - waht futurecraft is . Do it now .

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Futurecraft is a mod that adds a persistent multiplayer universe, and tweaks traditional minecraft gameplay to accommodate it as much as possible by adding futuristic technology such as tanks and infantry weaponry as well as a new exo-atmospheric realm and vessels to traverse it to provide a new standard to advance to beyond simply 'diamond tools'.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:12 pm

What you just said is simply a mod that adds futuristic universe , gl with that. You have no goal or at least you cannot even put it in proportions or achievable steps. Again go to the thread named what is futurecraft and be realistic. Don't be like a child "I wanna be a president !", it's not impossible but you need to achieve much more to become a president. Until you answer this question correctly nothing will change, doesn't matter if it is joykler who sorts this thing or not.

Also unlike you I have a ready list if steps, priorities and tasks, you need to form yours in order for your goal to be valid, otherwise it's a pointless talk.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:49 pm

I accept this as yes, please don't do it again.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm

What are you talking about?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:02 pm

What am I talking about ? O.o

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 pm

It really is impossible for us to stay on a single topic, isn't it...

But let me try.

The gate network needs to be controlled by a galaxy-level admin for technical reasons. No 3rd party gates, though we could allow players to construct gates we already authorized.

Players can host their own galaxy, but it's not easy, and we have to assume most will want to join the official one.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Are you still going for the cloud based stuff? Feel like elaborating on that? I never quite understood how you were going to go about it.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]