Realistic Block Mass

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: Realistic Block Mass

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 29, 2014 11:32 am

Actually I remember having this discussion before and the Deus Ex system seemed to come out on top.

And I think this needs to be something more than merely 'Minecraft in space' for there to be any distinction between it and Flan'sTekkitForge or whatever the hell is popular nowadays. Applying a unique spin on certain elements won't hurt anybody.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Thu May 29, 2014 1:32 pm

The idea is that you won't try building something alone and would get some friends, as for houses, this is an explosive oriented PVP mod. Your never going to build a house. Ever.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Space Hitler wrote:The idea is that you won't try building something alone and would get some friends, as for houses, this is an explosive oriented PVP mod. Your never going to build a house. Ever.
Umm, no. That's pretty much the opposite of what we're doing. Building should be encouraged, always; that's the one thing Minecraft does really well. If you want an FPS, there are hundreds of options that do that better than we ever will no matter how long we try. The platform we're working with has one huge strength. Not playing to that is perhaps the single worst decision we could make.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 pm

It will devolve into PvP, I guarantee it.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:39 pm

This idea makes sense in another way, as now it makes sense to build large cargo ships, this in turn means there is actually a specialty niche created for the traders among players who were to this point excluded as a specific class. If you could transfer all you want in your inventory you could trade goods just as well in a heavy battleship without a single cubic meter unoccupied with dakka, those who just want to focus on trading are definitely not needed anymore as a result. It also makes more sense to think about your cargo capacity over armament balance.
Adrien Victus wrote: Umm, no. That's pretty much the opposite of what we're doing. Building should be encouraged, always; that's the one thing Minecraft does really well. If you want an FPS, there are hundreds of options that do that better than we ever will no matter how long we try. The platform we're working with has one huge strength. Not playing to that is perhaps the single worst decision we could make.

That’s not exactly an argument against the system, you are rather afraid to look into new horizons as it seems LJS. I do believe this idea has potential and I looked into it myself however it also creates different problems that need to be worked out. It does seem like a good idea to define specific blocks that can be stacked so that we don't become a burden to the player, another option would be to make the player share inventory with his ship basically allowing the player to easily access all his stuff while still being limited by his ship capacity. An unlimited capacity of materials is always available at the shipyard which means construction is not effect by this at all.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Iv121 wrote:That’s not exactly an argument against the system, you are rather afraid to look into new horizons as it seems LJS.
There's a glaring difference between being afraid of new things and thinking that mechanics that make it harder to do the thing you game is famous for and does really well are stupid. I don't oppose this because I think it's worryingly new and different so much as because I think it's a horrifying step in the wrong direction from anything that could make FC different from a hundred other space games.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Thu May 29, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm up for fighters and stuff having taking up more inventory space, but blocks is just no.

I want to be able to carry a shittonne of building materials around, otherwise. Well, it becomes to much of a pain in the ass to do anything. The difficulty should be in acquiring the materials, not transporting them.

But for bigger things, like ship cores and fighters, if we don't do the no-item, then those should take up extra inventory space.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Actually, as with any tech mod, building will be neccessary to participate in the PVP.
As a result, there will be both building AND PVP.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:50 pm

I just say that with having your ship as your inventory you can actually carry all your blocks with you even though their physical presence is on the ship. This fact means that bigger ships become more suitable for transporting goods and so you cannot abuse the inventory system. The prob with having blocks the usual way is that they are also the main resource in the game , not fighter or cores, the later will simply not be traded and instead money will be made off blocks carried in your inventory. Finally the fact those limits do not apply to shipyards mean that your building capacity is not hurt in any way.
Adrien Victus wrote: There's a glaring difference between being afraid of new things and thinking that mechanics that make it harder to do the thing you game is famous for and does really well are stupid. I don't oppose this because I think it's worryingly new and different so much as because I think it's a horrifying step in the wrong direction from anything that could make FC different from a hundred other space games.
Well you pretty much wrote you are afraid of change in clear text. OFC the current proposal is imperfect but if you go with mine already there is no physical damage to gameplay whatsoever, I took all the problems and simply solved em, more problems arise you solve those too, that’s how innovation goes.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Thu May 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Well, I know exactly how this is going to go from this point, I'll leave the thread alone for a bit.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Block stackability should be dependent on the type of block, I think that's pretty much agreed upon. Items should take more space dependent upon the type of item, most of us agree on that, I think. Those two things will cause the need of infrastructure in both mining and transport while keeping enough individual player freedom.

I dont think players and ships should share an inventory.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 29, 2014 5:19 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu May 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Iv.

Minecraft has always had an excellent building system; that's the key selling point of the game.

We do NOT repeat NOT want to limit that. We do NOT repeat NOT want to limit people using a feature the game is famous for.

Unless, of course, we're dumping MC and using another game. Larger or heavier items? Smaller stacks, more inventory space used, etc., okay. Limiting people to a very small number of blocks per chest/inventory, that just screams bad.

Please note: this is not fear of change, this is fear of disregarding an excellent and approved feature. Do you see the reasoning here?

@Tiel for blocks, not sure. Other items, that looks pretty good.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Blocks would have to be the same size (maybe 4 'slots') for it to make sense yeah, but then further restricting the stacks by relative mass seems pretty reasonable.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well you pretty much wrote you are afraid of change in clear text. OFC the current proposal is imperfect but if you go with mine already there is no physical damage to gameplay whatsoever, I took all the problems and simply solved em, more problems arise you solve those too, that’s how innovation goes.

See, it's moments like this when your inability to fully understand the English language is a problem. I did no such thing, and I honestly have trouble seeing how you might think that I did given that that's literally the precise opposite of my post.