Realistic Block Mass

There will be one stickied topic per feature in phase 2. Other discussion may take place on other topics if relevant.
Forum rules
-This forum is about the mechanics and framework of the content. NOT about the content itself, that belongs in phase 3. However, if content discussion creeps in because it is necessary, this is permissible.
Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
Realistic Block Mass

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed May 28, 2014 9:02 pm

An issue I see with the FC idea currently is Steve's unnatural ability to carry an apartment complex in his hammer-space pants. This ability lets the player craft large amounts of items at once and it makes any form of research we come up with fairly abusable unless it has a hard time counter on it. This will also reduce piracy and trade options since people will just build tiny fast pinnances with illogical tardis chests and pockets which means no fat juicy trader ships to raid or protect.

How to prevent this? Blocks should have actual mass and volume, Reduce the inventory to an RPG style one with slots for armor and weapons, Chest now store only small items like tools and such. Blocks when mined would shrink a little bit and gain some sort of identifier as "loose" perhaps make it look crated. Steve would only be able to pick up one of these with both his hands and move around, the block could then be dropped in loose mode still or placed to solidify again. Mine carts could hold one block and become useful as actual mining carts, Track recipes would have to be modified of course.
Blocks with mass would invoke what we want most, in-game trade. Now players would trade for items since their lazy and don't want to go through the effort of mining. This would results in train lines being built, constructible boats could result in functioning ports, Space cargo ships become possible since real space would be required to move resources.
Other things could have real mass to, a pile of fish or bushel of wheat, Advanced components for shipbuilding, etc. This would change gameplay completely and PVP also, now instead of grabbing tons of material then bugging out people would has to capture supplies then have transport to move them out, salvaging and boarding ships becomes a lot more economically feasible, an so forth.

Anyone get what I'm saying here?
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Re: Realistic Block Mass

Post by ACH0225 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 pm

No one would like this is the biggest problem I can see.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed May 28, 2014 10:15 pm

ACH0225 wrote:No one would like this is the biggest problem I can see.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Completely infeasible, the core game itself would have to be changed for a system like that to function and have any fun quality whatsoever. Maybe edit the inventory so that heavy blocks must be stored in a smaller quantity or take up more space. The same goes for items and parts. To prevent someone from carrying s squadron of fighters in their pocket, only allow them to carry a single part, make the part take up multiplenspaces in the inventory, similar to the arma system.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:52 pm

"Sir we are to inspect you for the presence of contraband on your way to the spaceship, please present us the contents of your inventory"

- Fighter
- Fighter
- Fighter
- Bomber
- Nuclear Torpedoes
- Fighter
- Fighter
- Fighter
- Cruiser in blocks
- Fighter
- Fighter
- Fighter
- Drugs

"Sir you are arrested for illegal transfer of drugs"
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Blocks should have to be possible to carry around as usual, otherwise everything will take forever.
"All right, I'll build a house!"
*chops one block of wood, carries to special wood-cutting machine, carries each of the four blocks separately to building site, rinse and repeat 50 times or so*
"Hmm, that wall should be longer, I should take the whole house down and store the blocks in that cave while I work on the design."
It would be quicker to make a house in real life.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 29, 2014 4:44 am

I wouldn't mind that. It might add an element of tedium to the game, sure, but just means building will be that much more interesting and provide an actual point to making shipyards etc.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:32 am

Well it also puts an end to your primitive mining methods you all wanted. Im running out of inventory like crazy when I mine with the standard system, with this system say farewell to you pickaxe mining you wanted soo badly ...

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 am

Iv121 wrote:Well it also puts an end to your primitive mining methods you all wanted. Im running out of inventory like crazy when I mine with the standard system, with this system say farewell to you pickaxe mining you wanted soo badly ...
Not neccesarily, it would rather just support the construction of mining infrastructure, like rails.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 29, 2014 6:07 am

It would take forever to build anything. I'm in favor of restricting inventory, one block per trip is a little too much. Cheaper things like wood or dirt could take up less space, more valuable or heavier things like gold and iron could take more. Then you could start out as you normally would, but cooperation, planning, and equipment would be needed for later.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:24 am

Saravanth wrote:
Iv121 wrote:Well it also puts an end to your primitive mining methods you all wanted. Im running out of inventory like crazy when I mine with the standard system, with this system say farewell to you pickaxe mining you wanted soo badly ...
Not neccesarily, it would rather just support the construction of mining infrastructure, like rails.
Yea making the mining process even more tedious, lets face it with this system you better to at least have the cart attached to what you mine with (aka vehicle of some sort) or otherwise it becomes ridiculous, basically you exclude picks in this design choice, not something Im against of BTW (Always said they feel out of place here) but the reasons why this happens are somewhat questionable, aka Im not convinced the proposed weight system is good, there must be a way to make sure it doesn't hurt the gameplay.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:39 am

I think there's also the idea of making small craft (fighters etc.) not have an item form, meaning that you need a special multi-block structure to build it which directly spawns the vehicle, keeping people from transporting them in chests. For ships, you might be able to transport the blocks for them in another ship, but to build an entire ship, you'll need a shipyard anyway.

Also, yes, restricting stack size on certain (heavier) blocks would propably make sense and wouldn't be very hard to code either, it'd just be some variable tweaking.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu May 29, 2014 10:26 am

Mass or weight? Yes.

Hauling a block of gold will slow you down. Stack of dirt, not so much.

Because realism can, frankly, get frakked; this is a game, not a simulator. Rule of Fun takes precedence over Rule of Real, and the epic tedium of one-block-per-trip would be on par with having a real job. Probably one involving stupid customers.

So, mass or weight limits (stack sizes reduced?), sure. Limiting inventory space... nyeh.

And AFAIK fighters will be assembled and moved around as entities, or dismantled into (many) components for storage as items. It won't be a Flan's "carry a whole bomber in your back pocket" thing.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 am

I like the Arma II style, where different items take up different space in the inventory. A wing might take up a good half, meaning that there's no way you could transport an entire fighter without building it and actually moving it around. I'm not sure if it's doable codewise, though.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 29, 2014 10:54 am

If you do that, you have to give up any pretension of being able to play something even vaguely like Minecraft within FC. That's not inherently bad, but it's definitely a consequence that needs to be remembered. Personally I think this is an awful idea.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")