progress

Organized and clear discussion only. Be sure to read sub-forum descriptions.
Forum rules
- All off-topic posts will be removed without notice.
- Poorly written topics/posts will be edited without warning
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
- Posts may be moved without warning.
hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Re: progress

Post by hyperlite » Wed May 15, 2013 5:47 pm

So, I have changed my password here.
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Wed May 15, 2013 5:49 pm

go enjoy yourselve its the appropriate time of the day

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed May 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Changing your password has nothing to do with it, joykler. Tiel doesn't actually have access to your account, as demonstrated by the fact that he didn't reply to the PM I sent you. He still has administrative powers on the forum, and he's using them to post in your name. Your account is not being used to make these posts. I apologize for the hassle Tiel has caused everyone today. Also, joykler, there is a rule about swearing, although granted these are somewhat unusual circumstances.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm

If that were the case said actions would show up in the administrative logs, as I would have to log in to the ACP to commandeer his account.

They don't.

Nice theory, but no dice. I don't have admin powers anymore, I thought we made that clear.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 pm

I've never been entirely clear on what makes stuff show up in the logs. For example, nothing involving the chatbox shows up in the moderator log, even though editing or deleting posts there requires moderator powers.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 pm

i just want to know if the rest of my programms are safe
i dont care if i get banned i already told you that

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Not in the moderator logs.

In the administrator logs under the Maintenance tab. Every single admin log in is detected and tracked there, since the launch of the forum - there's no way to remove entries.

I know I won't show up on there since I haven't had admin permissions since February.

@joykler

I never had your password. There is literally no way for me to get it unless I put malware directly on your PC - PHPbb doesn't even offer admins that ability. They're kept encrypted in a MySQL database where they're kept in strings like @#($*FH$EFJJJ#)#@ which the software decodes with a specialized key not even I have access to.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm

then its alright

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed May 15, 2013 6:09 pm

What I did do was replace your password hash with my own in the database, letting me log in to your account with my own password and pretend to be me, and later, hyperlite. I recognize this was a severe misuse of power and it's not going to happen again (granted, as LJS pointed out he, Mack, or fr0st could do the same thing without going through nearly as much trouble through the ACP). I just wanted to lighten up the mood since things were getting pretty tense in here. My apologies.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Wed May 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Wait, I'm not joykler?
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed May 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes, you aren't not.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Wed May 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed May 15, 2013 9:09 pm

JOYK IS HYPERLITE

TIEL IS HYPERLITE

I AM HYPERLITE

LJS IS HYPERLITE

ACH IS HYPERLITE

PROTO IS HYPERLITE

IV IS HYPERLITE

EVERYONE HERE IS HYPERLITE.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

I like how I (Hyper) didn't list me (Hyper).
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Wow, you people write a lot whenever I am predisposed.

Okay, here is my progress update: I got my database down to 19 reference tables and 4 multi-entrant tables. Whole thing is handled via the Microsoft Sync Framework 2.1, and I'm using a compact SQL server at each node, all but one of which run in a peer-to-peer distributed framework. The advantage of this is that I no longer need to maintain an inter-process communications framework to pass data around, because each process can access the compact SQL server directly, making it easier to modify and expand to other services in the future. Data is represented in the business layer via ADO Entity Framework, reading directly off the compact database and generally being more capable than the ADO datasets it replaced. This is the first time we've ever used this method. Because the multi-entrant tables can be written to from multiple sources in a p2p network, and because the network topology is designed to handle intermittent disconnects from the internet, I also had to modify the primary key scheme so that records produced on un-synced nodes don't cause collisions. The sync framework prevents me from propagating cascading updates on the primary key because it is used for change tracking, so the alternative is using large semi-random values called GUIDs to provide unique keys, or creating a compound key with one of the columns being a unique identifier. I wasn't able to get in contact with our database architect to find out which one to implement, so I went with the latter, the idea being that it will fragment less as well as provide an indicator for the origin of each record. Not necessary, but potentially handy for reports.

Two weeks ago, I didn't know the first thing about anything I just mentioned; I've had to learn everything from the ground up. This is my 5th design of the data framework, and it has to be perfect this time because I can't afford to spend time on a #6. I'm generally in the office 11-12 hours a day trying to do everything I can to complete this project so that I will actually have time again to work on Futurecraft. I've been on this project for the last eight months, have at least one more month to go, and it's only going to get harder from here on out.

TL;DR I've been busy. I will work on Futurecraft when I have time. Supr sryz 4 tha wait.

*edit*
Don't feel too sorry for me, though. I am getting paid embarrassingly well to do this.