So I'm making a game (Maybe wrong section)

Organized and clear discussion only. Be sure to read sub-forum descriptions.
Forum rules
- All off-topic posts will be removed without notice.
- Poorly written topics/posts will be edited without warning
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
- Posts may be moved without warning.
CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists
So I'm making a game (Maybe wrong section)

Post by CMA » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:34 pm

It's going to be maximum autism. Imagine KSP, Victoria II, Hearts of Iron III, Homeworld, and maybe Aurora (haven't played it yet: No money + Lent) combined. I want there to be accurate social and somewhat accurate biological simulation, hundreds of resources that will require game AI to keep track of, a complex manufacturing, transportation, and economic system, and KSP-level physics but with 'point and click' UI. In short: Futurecraft, the Grand Strategy game.

I've been playing around with Unity the past week or so, and I had a quick shitty-looking verson of the UI up, so this project is 100% possible. Do y'all have any interest in it? Here's some of the concept work I have written so far:

Population crap
Spoiler:
Groups

Population is modeled by the game as “Groups.” A Group is an abstracted group of 30-1000 people (I haven't decided yet, Groups may have variable sizes) that have the same general location, beliefs, religion, political affiliation, and culture. A Group can change all of it's characteristics, has variables controlling the rate and/or possibility of change, and a Groups interaction with other groups. Groups also adapt to whatever conditions they live in, and will have tolerances for gravity, temperature, humidity(or the lack thereof) and radiation.

Group class variables:

Religion religion – The religion of the group. Can be Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic/Oriental Orthodox, Sunni, Shia, Buddhist, Nihilist, Atheist(Atheists, Deists, and Agnostics are lumped together for simplicity's sake), Calvinist, Evangelical(Catchall for Baptist, Church of Christ, non-denominational, etc.), Shinto, Animist, Pantheist, Satanist, and Cultist. Cults are generally distortions of an ideology and/or a religion, and will be explained later.

bool isSyncretic – Determines whether the Group has a syncretic religion, such as Santeria(Totemism + Catholicism). If true, the Group instance has a second religion object/variable, and will combine aspects of the two in certain situations. Some syncretic religions will have names, others will be natural occurrences when two religions overlap in a province, education is low, and religious leadership does not exist in the province but at some point the province owners religion was unsuccessfully established in the province.

byte religiosity – -124 corresponds to nonpracticing, 124 corresponds to zealous. Affects how strongly Groups adhere to their religion, and how easily they can convert to another.

String/Culture culture – The culture of the Group. See the Cultures document for a list of cultures.

Occupation occupation

int (This may change) location – The full index of the province where the Group resides.

How 'history' will work
Spoiler:
Unlike most 4X and similar games, /INT/SGM will have a set of events that will trigger at certain points, and includes many features that add little actual game play, but will add “flavor” and create something of a user-generated history for the future solar system. For example, when a region is colonized, the user will be prompter to rename that region instead of the pregenerated name (“Olympus Mons” or something similar), and will be presented with several pregenerated alternate names.

The alternate pregenerated names will be something like a name derived from the leader who led the expedition, a name derived from the current ruler of the nation, and several names specific on the ideology of the party. For example, an Italian Nationalist government might be able to name a province after some famous author of Italian literature, or a founding member of the state itself. A Lasseiz-faire/Anarcho-capitalist government will never commemorate private individuals that way (The AI of a Corporation may be able to do so) but will change the automatic pregenerated name to something like “Mining sector NNN.”

In addition to naming, there will be an extensive library of trigger-able events that can steer the game in several different directions. Certain breakthroughs in technology will only be attainable through events, and mega engineering projects (Space elevators, a Dyson ring possibly, terraforming a planet) will primarily only be accessible through corresponding series of events.
I realize it's written somewhat like an ad: Sorry about that, just how it vomited out of my keystrokes. I'm also correspondng with a German and a Finn who want to make similar games, and I'm taking Computer Science 1, so this is a bit more realistic. The most help I actually need, if any of you want to, is ideas. Research too if you want to waste a lot of time (I need to find detailed demographic information for pretty much every county thing in the world, and detailed geographic information for each planetary body in the solar system.)

Anyway, if you're interested let me know. I'll give y'all free copies (if it's not free at 'release') if I ever get something playable.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Re: So I'm making a game (Maybe wrong section)

Post by Error » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:04 pm

I shall keep an eye on this.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Unreal 4 is now free. Just in case you didn't know

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Tell wrote:Unreal 4 is now free. Just in case you didn't know
I know Unity better, but I did consider Unreal 4. They made KSP in Unity so it should be possible to make what I want to, the hard part code-wise will be segregating Planetary and Spacial(?) gameplay, and assigning provinces to the surface of a sphere/whatever. Also detailed textures of Mars and stuff will be hard to find. I'm glad we'll finally get to see what Pluto looks like soon because otherwise I'd have to BS it.

Also: There will be no aliens, but I'm on the fence about having eventual near c speeds (torch ships) and travel to the local group of stars. Thoughts? Something like the em-drive* will definitely be implemented, but I'd like to keep this as hard as possible.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EmDrive

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Halp me with my project instead :[ , that pretty much looks like stat based empire RP anyway.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Iv121 wrote:Halp me with my project instead :[
What is it? I can help a bit, depending on what language you're using and what you're trying to do.
Iv121 wrote: that pretty much looks like stat based empire RP anyway.
That's pretty much what Paradox games are, but this will have nice space combat visuals and such, hopefully. I'm watching homeworld let's plays and trying to figure out how the UI works.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:03 pm

CMA wrote:I want there to be accurate social and somewhat accurate biological simulation, hundreds of resources that will require game AI to keep track of, a complex manufacturing, transportation, and economic system, and KSP-level physics but with 'point and click' UI.
If you don't have three years and a hundred-person development team, I wish you luck.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm

I always upvote autism +1

Also Iv's thing is a spreadsheet for RPs. Not what you're looking for.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
CMA wrote:I want there to be accurate social and somewhat accurate biological simulation, hundreds of resources that will require game AI to keep track of, a complex manufacturing, transportation, and economic system, and KSP-level physics but with 'point and click' UI.
If you don't have three years and a hundred-person development team, I wish you luck.
I have a year and a half and wikipedia, so I'm gonna need it. It really isn't as daunting as it seems, it's just a lot of research. And what I mean by biological simulation at this point is each group(which can represent up to 10000 people) having fields for G tolerance, heat, and radiation and each planet having a variable corresponding to those values. The hard part is defining cultures but that, again, is just research. I am in a danger of the average computer not having enough RAM, as the population of the entire solar system is most likely going to reach hundreds of billions at some point in the game, which assuming 64 bytes(the size of one long variable, which is just one really big number) per group is over half of a gig of ram, and that's a relatively small part of the game, I think, depending on how combat works.
Saravanth wrote:I always upvote autism +1

Also Iv's thing is a spreadsheet for RPs. Not what you're looking for.
I'm decent with excel, I can still help. Coding/etc. is fun.
Last edited by CMA on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Correction: Iv's thing is a utility tool for RP stuffs.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Thats no excel for you ,excel doesnt generate star maps and allows you to make interactive combat schemes. It doesn't encode secret messages and it doesn't have history log of the map and battles as they were a few turns ago. It doesn't have the capacity to generate end turn GM reports to post on the forum either. It also doesn't think, which is why its much more likley to get done compared to an empire RP with an AI GM which is what you basically strive for.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Iv121 wrote: it doesn't have history log of the map and battles as they were a few turns ago.
Ctrl + z
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Tbh if I had an interactive 2d starmap generator with some basic information about systems and such and the ability to write notes in each sector. I could make some insane RP shit that would be a thousands times better then the wordwank we have in the RP forum right now.

Then again, Maybe I should go fuck with Java once more and see what I can do...
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Shadowcatbot wrote:>fuck with Jawa
Spoiler:

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:54 pm

haha glhf

don't expect help from any of these fuck-offs.