FC content pack flan's [UBERTHREADNAUGHT]

Organized and clear discussion only. Be sure to read sub-forum descriptions.
Forum rules
- All off-topic posts will be removed without notice.
- Poorly written topics/posts will be edited without warning
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
- Posts may be moved without warning.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Re: FC content pack flan's

Post by  ҉  » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:28 pm

hyperlite wrote:Jedi, here is a simple little model I made, before I spend a lot of time on a model I want to make sure it works properly in the game.

Here is a techne file, can you try and get it to work in minecraft?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsh5t4yi277ojbp/model22.tcn
I doubt it. If you look at Flan's or Manus's packs, all the models are .class rather than .tcn or whatever. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, but my guess is that it's important. I dunno. Like I said, I've never even tried to make a model, so I can't be certain, and I don't know how you would convert it or whatever. Sorry.

Something has occurred to me. Flan's Mod lets me set the location of the player, passengers, guns, etc through its vehicle files, but without knowing the model I may have a hard time getting those right. It can probably be done through trial and error, but if you guys can get the coordinates of the driver and stuff in the model that would be much easier. I have no idea how that works and whether it's simple with Techne or not, and it's not relevant for hyper's first test thingie, but it might be an issue later.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Manus creates the models in techne, but from there I have no idea what to do. See if Tutorial part 2 makes sense to you. (It didn't to me)
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm doing that! :D

Watching the tuts, and hanging on every word.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Manus has a weird German accent.
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Oh.
I decompiled 1.4.5, and the modelling helper is for 1.2.4 only...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

hyperlite wrote:Manus has a weird German accent.
If you look around on his site, it says that he's German. Or maybe Austrian. Not sure. Tiel, are you getting it to work?

EDIT: I guess not.

EDIT EDIT: What are you doing in 1.4? Flan's Mod is for 1.2.5.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:11 pm

I know. I had assumed that it would have been easy enough to make models but not compile them for 1.4.5

Starting over since I'm an idiot c:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Currently, Flan plans to make it 1.4 by Christmas, so, why are we trying to code stuff in now? We might have to change it when he updates. If you would like go ahead and work, but we may need to wait for him to update, then we can do the code part.

For now, I call all hands to work on models.
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Sounds like a plan.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't think having an update inbound changes that much. It's unlikely that he'll drastically rewrite the code, and even if he does it should be the work of a few minutes to change it. If you guys are going to be working on models anyway, I think I'd just as soon go ahead and try to get some of them in-game. I may spend a while playing with the files again, though. It's been a few months since I went through them.

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Roger roger, we still need models though.
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I've been wading through Manu's video tutorials, on #4 ATM. My first will probably be an APC.

Actually, wouldn't it be possible to offset the area in which the player gets into a turret so there's a much greater radius? But then there's the matter of returning him/her to the point of entry :/
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Tiel wrote:I've been wading through Manu's video tutorials, on #4 ATM. My first will probably be an APC.

Actually, wouldn't it be possible to offset the area in which the player gets into a turret so there's a much greater radius? But then there's the matter of returning him/her to the point of entry :/
Well, technically yes, but there are a few problems with that. First, you have to click on the turret to get in. This would result in you going from right next to the turret to x blocks away. Second, you do have to be inside the model, so the turret would have to actually take up the space you're in, which means that if you want to be fifty blocks away, then your turret is fifty blocks across, even if the visual part is only two blocks long. This also means that you can't have any blocks between you and where the turret is. Thirdly, rotating the turret would make you spin very fast in a circle around the axis. Fourthly, it would be horrendously difficult to aim the turret, because there's no sort of long-distance aiming thing, and the turret's shots would not simply go where you're looking if there's much distance between the player and the gun.

Manus's forum has a [url=http://www.minecraft-smp.de/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1428]thread[/url] on how to go from a techne file to a Java file. If you need help with models, that's probably the place to go for Flan's Mod stuff.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Doesn't techne export directly into .java?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Tiel wrote:Doesn't techne export directly into .java?
I have absolutely no idea. Flan's Mod needs Turbo Model Thingie to run, so it's gotta be in there somewhere, but all I know is what's in that thread.