ship hp/armor

Forum rules
Joykler's Notes subforum, for splendidly notable ideas. Standard forum rules apply, as well as the Development forum's.

what ship armor system would you want

Total votes: 0

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
ship hp/armor

Post by joykler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm

we have currently three armor/hp ideas for the ships
here you can continue to discuss but mainly to compare and vote.

1.ship systems http://futurecraftforums.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=462
2.ship hp [a calculation of its total hp plus shielding that take away direct damage
3,joyklers armor idea http://futurecraftforums.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=283
4. sectional hp in where each section of a ship gets a separate hp [no link]

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Re: ship hp/armor

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 pm

i like your armor idea but think that destroying certain systems onboard the enemy ship (shield gen, life support, etc.) could aid in taking that ship down.
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:41 am

if there is enough damage on the hull eventually it would break
and you get a hole in your ship
thats not so good for machinery
or its possible to have such pressure within that systems seize to work and pop off

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 am

I am for a sectional hp-system allowing for the same effect, but allowing for display of the total demage your ship got.
Also, if you get a hole due to the sectional system, you will have your machines exposed and if they´re hit... good bye life support/shields/weapon control/whatever got hit.
If the ship hp goes to 0 or focused fire exposed and hit the core, the ship-wide computer network fails (due to the core being the computer core) and all systems either power down or blow up (depending on type of system and savety measures (like auto control rod dropping in nuclear reactors in case of control failure)).
Thus the remains of your ship become a wreckage and all people abord the ship will eventually die from life-support failure unless they manage to supply the life-support with emergency power and control signals from a mobile computer, allowing for survivors on destroyed ships and giving the game the feature of survivor-rescue. (cause holding out in a wreckage is better than respawning on the next habitable planet which happens to be in control of the enemy)
As such, the core remains a vital part in the ship with the sectional hp-system allowing for the holes to actually be where the ship got hit.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Ship hp should be divided into sections. Maybe you could designate an area to be a command section, and hitting anything in the cube of the command section deals extra damage, then you could have other sections(hangar, munitions depot, armory, life support) that have various damage indicators. Specialized machinery is also more effective in the areas, so people wouldn't just make a giant armor belt of a ship. As I see it, there would be negative and positive damage spots. Negative damage spots, like armor belts, have a fixed number decided by armor blocks touching open space in the ship, will decrease damage done to the ship's overall health. Positive damage points, like reactors or command areas, deal extra damage when hit. They could even be used for special effects, like random blocks in the command area making sparks when the ship is hit, or the reactor making a huge explosion when the ship is destroyed.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:32 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Ship hp should be divided into sections. Maybe you could designate an area to be a command section, and hitting anything in the cube of the command section deals extra damage, then you could have other sections(hangar, munitions depot, armory, life support) that have various damage indicators. Specialized machinery is also more effective in the areas, so people wouldn't just make a giant armor belt of a ship. As I see it, there would be negative and positive damage spots. Negative damage spots, like armor belts, have a fixed number decided by armor blocks touching open space in the ship, will decrease damage done to the ship's overall health. Positive damage points, like reactors or command areas, deal extra damage when hit. They could even be used for special effects, like random blocks in the command area making sparks when the ship is hit, or the reactor making a huge explosion when the ship is destroyed.
An elegant solution, but too unnatural. Why can't we just go block-by-block? It seems that would be best.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Borg cube trolling. How many times do we have to go over this?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Each block health could be the same, the more blocks the less individual block HP. I would like to not have nerfed armor, but it seems that there're not many options. I really don't see why we're so concerned by cubes, a universal No Cube rule could be set. If we have universal moderators, they could look through the designs that have been activated and decide what ships are acceptable.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:05 am

catsonmeth wrote:Each block health could be the same, the more blocks the less individual block HP. I would like to not have nerfed armor, but it seems that there're not many options. I really don't see why we're so concerned by cubes, a universal No Cube rule could be set. If we have universal moderators, they could look through the designs that have been activated and decide what ships are acceptable.
Literally, the fashion police?
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:04 am

it will be very ugly to have nice ships flying around with a block missing
noone would notice it
or if you have a ship thats still flyable because the guns took only decoration blocks away but your ship looks like a cheese

so if you need separate block damage please choose my idea because you would first have big areas with cracks in them
then you would have bigger holes in the ship that make weapons more effective because its area damage [unless its a lazer cannon or something]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:41 am

I like my designated ship regions idea. I'll vote for myself.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 am

Here: http://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t436-armor-plating

This is the oldest armor ideas that ever was on the forum and nobody argued about it back then ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:52 am

This whole voting thing is fundamentally flawed, because in the end which idea gets the most votes will have little or nothing to do with what gets into the mod. That decision will be made by Mackeroth and fr0stbyte alone, and they have no obligation to go with the one that has the most popular support. Implementing whatever idea is most popular is what got Minecraft into the @#$%y state it's in today.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:42 am

I'm still for individual block HP because it's the least restrictive, the most natural, and the simplest. The only problem is that it gives the advantage to the ugly, bulky, simple designs. This can be counteracted by monitoring of built ships, acceleration restrictions according to mass, and/or block number restrictions.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm

this way of doing things is accepted by frost
first one nominates an idea
then frost checks if the idea is acceptable
then people vote

but i just have to know from all the diffrent versions of the same thing what would be the best idea
ofcourse mackaroth and frost and you can vote for this too

and iv do you nominate that idea
because if you do you overrule this topic and it will be put on the list of nominations representing the armor idea of the whole mod
untill it loses a voting or wins one
you should first look if you have something to add then nominate it
and i will post your name with this idea in the nominations list
i personnaly think its a great idea
[maybe you can make it better by turning the armor blocks to armor plates that would look better i think]