mech choosing

Forum rules
Joykler's Notes subforum, for splendidly notable ideas. Standard forum rules apply, as well as the Development forum's.

what mech would you choose

Total votes: 0

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
mech choosing

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:13 am

okey at this point we have a diffrent ideas of how to build a mech

1. a mech animation [in diffrent sizes and with diffrent addons but all just a non changeble animation]
2. a mech frame on wich you place blocks [ a little more diffrence]
3. a mech that you completly build on your own but it has to have certain blocks and joints in it to work [would be pretty hard to make and possiblly very ugly]
4: 5 or 6 different types of mech and walkers ranging from little more than space marine armor to 50-meter spider tanks, but all entity-based, not block based. These could have customization armor, weapons, and other stats, but not custom blocks.

you guys have to start nominating already
cats has nominated his idea so here it comes

Okay, the frame could be a non-physical guide so you can build directly over it. Building mechs only works in the 10m+ range, so for light mechs and heavy combat armor, we'll need models.The frame would stay, the builder would just be able to place a block directly in the frame. The mech would be built in something like a VR hologram (similar to a ship design area), the player would build on a virtual frame. When the designer is finished, the machine builds the actual mech, no frame needed. Any space along the line of the frame that the designer didn't build in might be filled by a random block or physical frame piece.

the rest of the mechs will be entitiy based like idea 4

now this topic is closed

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Re: mech choosing

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 am

I am for 1 and 2 both.
1 for smaller, 2 for larger mechs.
Please add multi-choice option.
Also, note that there are two things: Mechs and Walkers. Mechs are technically only humanoid walkers, so maybe more accuracy in the description.
That would be it.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 am

I only see such small entities working the way we made fighters with premade mesh sets where you can choose diff parts and link them in the specified joints while the properties, stats and abilities are decided by the stuff you put in it on a crafting like grid which simulates real building but only effects numbers and stats and not the look of the mech. Anything else won't cut it on such small scales because well blocks are too big. It needs to fit a standard 3x3 corridor that will be on ships unless you plan to make mechs for ground assault which I totally exclude due to the irrelevance of ground battles in my opinion (there are simply not enough people to play a game with ground bases. It's pretty much a choice between space or ground only)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 am

there will be ground battles i think there is no doubt about that
the only thing thats unsure is what the battle would look like

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:34 am

There is a high chance there won't be. I brought those calculations countless times ago, you will need too many players because instead of having 40 worlds per 40 systems you will have around 160 worlds per 40 systems which is HUGE , there is no way you get enough people involved or enough servers to support that many worlds, all filled with combat. You can ofc leave like 10 systems to make the size reasonable but again you totally loose the space part of futurecraft than, no enough space for it and so it is a choice - either you go ground or space, and by the ship design area I'd say the choice was already made long ago ... As much as I ruin parties and blow up bubbles you better realize it now or go towards it an learn on your own, you can't do it all, at least not now. Put your priorities, decide what you do NOW and later if you get the recourses and time do the rest such as ground battles in some sort of grand update. Lastly remember that the type of ground battles you want will require you to FORCE people to join up HUGE teams, you are ruining it for those who won't find their team. Such massive scale things were attempted only in planetside and there are 3 already defined factions there and the game solely exists for this.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:56 am

why do you need that many planets

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:59 am

joykler wrote:why do you need that many planets
his calculations actually come up to 4 planets per system, but please note that Iv has a bit of an... unusual idea of ground combat which he effectively uses to make the rest of the forum facepalm on a daily basis as soon as ground combat is the subject.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 am

My opinion is never respected here but so far eventually you do the things I said ... that is the reason you "facepalm" ... I don't have an unusual idea for ground combat because I totally exclude it.

Let's put it this way - YOU can add WHATEVER YOU WANT to the mod: flying ponies, cooking system ... But remember that if you go too big you will blow it hard. Take it step by step - do the most imperative things first. I don't think flying ponies are imperative and as a matter of fact you do not think that ground combat is important. You will say the opposite cosue I said it and not frost for example but the ship design subforum shows otherwise. Do what you want but please don’t screw it up , you will at this rate, you don't even have enough coders to do them both simultaneously.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 am

So you´re judging the focus of combat by the designs people come up with?
I know that spaceships are more important to implement than ground units, but until now your posts sounded like a "Ground combat will never be important!"-type of thing.
Seems to have been a misunderstanding, at least on my side. I apologize.
If you just point out that we don´t seem to focus on ground combat a lot, I might notify you that with noone actually knowing how mechs/walkers will be handled, it is kind of useless to make designs of them already.
Also, designing a proper walker is quite difficult, as you would have to make the legs of blocks, which does look weird (except if your name is Laserbilly or blockman), that´s why I am for options 1 and 2, but not 3.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:41 am

Its as well useless to make ships because they will be made of other materials, will hold many pipes and stuff and are generally impractical probably, nevertheless we build them. I just say that ground combat is a big project for you to pull off together with space combat - you lack the coders, you lack the people, you leck the hardware. It's either space combat or planetside for now.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 am

I am all for entity mech with customizable weapons and characteristics like speed and maybe even custom skinned mecha, but no block-built mech. What's that choice.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 am

Also, I see ground troops as being useful, but secondary. Futurecraft V1.0 won't need them. Futurecraft V1.1 can start to add them, and guns, and boarding, and other stuff.

I mean, if I get bored while Frost's doing Copernicus, I might stab at battle-mech, but after droppods.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 am

FC will always need ground units, players/NCPs would effectively be ground units. One without a ship to crew or control would be useless (in battle) if we don't include, at least, some infantry weapons/armor. I agree that Copernicus and the rendering engine is primary, but we have other coders and artists available. As for the mechs, it would be very nice if they could be block-built.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm

I'll let you sort out that ground issue so long you prioritise space first. This way when it all goes to **** at least we'll have something on our hands :) . BTW having battles on ships and boarding are a totally different thing - they do not need x4 more worlds that will be BTW like x10 times bigger than the space world (which gives us around 1,600 space worlds ? realy ppl ? ) so they are not limited by hardware, population and are not too complicated coding-wise. They also add more depth to space battles.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Iv121 wrote:I'll let you sort out that ground issue so long you prioritise space first. This way when it all goes to **** at least we'll have something on our hands :) . BTW having battles on ships and boarding are a totally different thing - they do not need x4 more worlds that will be BTW like x10 times bigger than the space world (which gives us around 1,600 space worlds ? realy ppl ? ) so they are not limited by hardware, population and are not too complicated coding-wise. They also add more depth to space battles.
Actually, Iv is right. Let´s have ground units, but with secondary priority as opposed to spaceships as Space travell is what will make our mod popular.
Ground combat will in the beginning propably be limited to some firearms with WIP-recipes and maybe some vehicles like tanks or cars as mechs will propably be like hell to code and take a lot of time.
I suggest the following things in the following priorities:
  • Copernicus, working ships, first unbalanced weapons and machines; power system: primary
    Infantry weapons and first vehicles for transportation, tank wars and mining; more ship-weapons as well as slight balancing of primary content: secondary
    Mechs, asteroid mining, more guns and machines; further balancing of primary and secondary content to the level of Tekkit: tertriary
    Research system, further machines and final balancing of tier 1-3 content: quartriary
    Everything else: quintriary
How bout that, Iv? Sound good to you?
Quotes:
Spoiler: