New dimension possibility

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic
New dimension possibility

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Considering that most mods having vehicles have collision active between blocks and the ship, I'd feel that, taking current ship designs into calculation, there will be a lot of people crashing their ships into the ground. There will only be maybe 192 blocks (meters) of height to move around in on a normally-generated world, which isn't really much considering some ships could be 100 blocks (meters) tall. Plus, with people speeding around near the ground, there will be a high chance for them to either fly right into a mountain or crash the server/world with large amounts of world being generated. Considering that there could very well be more than 10 people flying off at different directions at high speeds, this could end up being a real issue.
If a speed cap is put in, the world generation issue would be fixed, but there would still be the issue of craters and crashing.

I suggest that a new dimension (with a larger height and no land generation) should be put in, that way people have the ability to maneuver their massive ships around in both horizontal manners and in vertical manners.
Possibly, when you do whatever it is to enter your ship, it automatically ports the ship into that dimension, and ports you back to your ship or out of the dimension if you ship is destroyed when you die, or something of that sort. That way, there will no be issues with ships crashing into the ground, world generation, or massive craters where ships shoot the ground all over the place.
With a new dimension with no ground, there would be no need for people to worry about crashing into the ground, and no issue with craters all over the landscape. That way, ground vehicles can't just be blasted into nothingness by a massive ship in the sky, people can collect materials and whatever they want on the normal world and go to the other dimension to fight, and people won't have to navigate massive holes all over the place to get somewhere.

Otherwise, it'd just be people shooting each other out of the sky over and over due to the lack of proper maneuvering room, craters dotting the landscape, and constant crashing.

Possible issues:
1. The new dimension would need to have some sort of height cap, where ships could not go past
2. The new dimension could cause lag (like another world being loaded in a server)
3. People can't just sit by spawn and bombard new players with their massive ships
4. Having a base in the new dimension would be impossible (no land, just space to fly)
5. A new dimension would need a ton of programming to make
More issues possible, those are just some of the top of my head

Also; an unrelated question: would it be possible to build up and jump onto moving ships?
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Re: New dimension possibility

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:34 pm

As far as I've heard, worlds are going to be higher, therefore the build limit will be higher up as well.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Daynel wrote:As far as I've heard, worlds are going to be higher, therefore the build limit will be higher up as well.
Is that with Futurecraft or in the future patches of minecraft? Also, that'd still leave the issues of world generation and craters :|
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:12 pm

CaptainSporatic wrote:
Daynel wrote:As far as I've heard, worlds are going to be higher, therefore the build limit will be higher up as well.
Is that with Futurecraft or in the future patches of minecraft? Also, that'd still leave the issues of world generation and craters :|
Worlds will also be smaller than they are currently and there'll also be a "space" dimension that you'd go to after reaching a certain, undetermined, height.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Cortana wrote:
CaptainSporatic wrote:
Worlds will also be smaller than they are currently and there'll also be a "space" dimension that you'd go to after reaching a certain, undetermined, height.
So they will be higher but smaller?

Craters below that height and world generation (even with the space dimension, after you go back down to the height where it changes, there would still be a need to generate the world) would still be issues, though, even if the space dimension has no generation of terrain.

If anything, there needs to be a way to prevent people from flying around at high speeds while below that height.
Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:22 pm

CaptainSporatic wrote:
Cortana wrote:
CaptainSporatic wrote:Is that with Futurecraft or in the future patches of minecraft? Also, that'd still leave the issues of world generation and craters :|
So they will be higher but smaller?

Craters below that height and world generation (even with the space dimension, after you go back down to the height where it changes, there would still be a need to generate the world) would still be issues, though, even if the space dimension has no generation of terrain.
Z axis would increase while X and Y would decrease is the more specific way of saying it.
I'm not sure exactly how they plan to deal with the rest of that though, I just really know what I said on the line above this one.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Cortana wrote:
Z axis would increase while X and Y would decrease is the more specific way of saying it.
I'm not sure exactly how they plan to deal with the rest of that though, I just really know what I said on the line above this one.
Alrighty, that makes more sense than what I was thinking.
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Worlds will be 40kmx40km. The height limit will be really, really large. Space is mostly empty except for the occasional hulk or asteroid and some other planets.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 pm

catsonmeth wrote:Worlds will be 40kmx40km. The height limit will be really, really large. Space is mostly empty except for the occasional hulk or asteroid and some other planets.
So, at some point the world will stop generating (40kmx40km) then the space continues upwards for a while without much land generation? That clears up a lot, thanks :)

As for the issue of people shooting the ground, will there be some sort of point where shots fired downwards stop? Or would they continue on into the ground?
And will there be a max speed limit while below the space area?
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Well I would expect any person with at least 1 second of server experience would think of Generating the whole world beforehand. So im not sure if you just didn't think of that or derped or whatev.
Next a speed limit would be very simple, Add in atmospheric drag, So you cant land your death star on the planet without terrainraping something bad.
I think bullets will have some sort of trajectory system or something. Im sure there will be a lifetime limit on shots to prevent forever looping bullets.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Uhh. Minecraft worlds like you're thinking won't exist. There will be planets in space. If you fly really high, you're in space. If you fly really low, you crash because you're flying a sixty kilometer battleship forty meters above the ground. It's not going to be a new dimension the way the Nether is going to be a new dimension.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 pm

We should just remove the nether, Or make it the Devs secret hideout or whatnot.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:Uhh. Minecraft worlds like you're thinking won't exist. There will be planets in space. If you fly really high, you're in space. If you fly really low, you crash because you're flying a sixty kilometer battleship forty meters above the ground. It's not going to be a new dimension the way the Nether is going to be a new dimension.
I was thinking something more like the end but without any land...
Spoiler:

Aidantheawsome
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:The Viscan Empire

Post by Aidantheawsome » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 pm

You know, there ARE those of us who look forward to rocketing across the sky and blasting ground troops to ciders. Of course, they will be ground-based defences like urrets and sheilds, that sounds like enough protection to me.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 am

You do realize that what you've suggested is pretty much exactly what we had planned?
This is a signature.