New dimension possibility

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic
Re: New dimension possibility

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:You do realize that what you've suggested is pretty much exactly what we had planned?
Ah, ok. I was a bit unsure of what you guys had planned, but I guess you guys really cleared things up for me (and maybe a few other people?).

Just a few questions, are you guys going to implement some sort of speed dampener while below the space line, and will there be a set range that fired shots can go?
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Richard_cypher
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:The Collective

Post by Richard_cypher » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Shadowcat wrote:We should just remove the nether, Or make it the Devs secret hideout or whatnot.
from what i have heard anything magic related is getting removed.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Richard_cypher wrote:
Shadowcat wrote:We should just remove the nether, Or make it the Devs secret hideout or whatnot.
from what i have heard anything magic related is getting removed.
How about bolt the nether to the bottom of normal minecraft worlds (if fr0st gets his thing that only loads what you can see this should be possible) so that if you dig down far enough, you get to the nether.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Transition I think will be seemingly seamless; you go up far enough, you transition to the space dimension, but no loading screen. Some weapons should be able to penetrate this transition zone, so you can nuke a planet from space, just not use a minigun on your fighter.

40km by 40km, but it should be like a roll of paper, so if you go far enough to get to the edge, you just come to the opposite edge. Makes it feel like you have an actual spherical planet.

The nether? The nether is now spawn hell, where you go awaiting to respawn.

The end is dead.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:08 am

the end is a spaceturd, Or Astroid.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Instinct-XIV
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Xtreme gaming QC
IGN:InstinctXIV

Post by Instinct-XIV » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:17 am

Shadowcat wrote:the end is a spaceturd, Or Astroid.

Or a space station.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 am

I vote for the End to be some kind of place only accessable with interdimensional drives. Would make it somehow legit.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Instinct-XIV
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Xtreme gaming QC
IGN:InstinctXIV

Post by Instinct-XIV » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Will they be black holes in FC?

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:32 am

Wait new though, The end is a giant space whale turd.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

superninjakiwi
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Kiwi Republic
IGN:Superninjakiwi

Post by superninjakiwi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Gravitycraft. nuff said.

EDIT: talking about the mine up part, you can create multiple world levels, customizable, so you can have several *empty* world levels. it would also mean that you can have two sides to yourworlds, by adding an inverted world. maybe get permision to have a preset "Futurecraft World" built into the mod.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 am

Commenting on some earlier thread posts: Worlds will only have their surfaces pregenerated; it's impractical to generate the entire volume of a planet beforehand.
Also 40km seems way, way too big. Take a look at this hexahedra video.

For reference, that high point was about 1.1 km above sea level. What the heck is anyone going to do with 40x that? Even if we can pull it off graphically (with lots of cheating), 40km across is going to pretty much guarantee that a player will never be able to explore an entire planet, plus these planets are going to be ridiculously large on file. I'd say about 5k*5k*5k is about as big as any planet needs to be. In the cube model, that's still 20km to get back to your starting point.

Also 5k^3 is 1.25x10^11 blocks. Uncompressed with just bIock data, that's about 116GB per planet. 215MB just to map the top blocks across the planet's surface. Planets will be aggressively compressed, but even so, they aren't going to be cheap. Btw, this should give you an idea why we're not doing planet crackers or nukes.
superninjakiwi wrote:Gravitycraft. nuff said.

EDIT: talking about the mine up part, you can create multiple world levels, customizable, so you can have several *empty* world levels. it would also mean that you can have two sides to yourworlds, by adding an inverted world. maybe get permision to have a preset "Futurecraft World" built into the mod.
Gravitycraft/MineUp is cool, but it doesn't address the fundamental flaws of the Minecraft engine. As such, it would probably be easier for us to start from scratch and use it as a guideline, rather than try to integrate the mod. Also we got permission and access to the source code a long time ago. This was pre-anvil, though, and the code was mostly undocumented. I never did much with it. It's mostly renderer and entity hacks.

---------------
Oh and who's idea was it to make the forum convert "bIock" into "sphere"?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 am

This generated land is absolutely amazing (well compared to vanilla minecraft). It looks much more realistic. As you said it's gonna weight loads of GB to maintain planets that you can land on all over FC so you might want to rethink it.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 am

Iv121 wrote:This generated land is absolutely amazing (well compared to vanilla minecraft). It looks much more realistic. As you said it's gonna weight loads of GB to maintain planets that you can land on all over FC so you might want to rethink it.
If it's well optimized, I don't see a problem. But, what about the ram needed to do all of this cool stuff

Talon93
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:Talon93

Post by Talon93 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:22 am

With planets that small the size comparison between ships and planets will be unrealistic...
Anything can be learnt, it is simply how willing you are to learn.
Dramatic Bold Italic Underline!

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:05 am

Talon93 wrote:With planets that small the size comparison between ships and planets will be unrealistic...
Planets are only 5km by 5km huh?

Actually I like that, makes my 2.06km dreadnought scarier.

Although anything like the Bestine class is fairly knackered when it comes to parking.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: