Tutorial?

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.

nvm

Poll ended at Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Total votes: 0

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: keeping new players from raging

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Each server is a solar system. The planet is the actual server, and the space around it is added by FC. The player spawns on the planet, and can then proceed to a space elvator or something to get to a shipyard to buy or build a ship. Then, players can build a jump gate when they feel ready, but odds are they will not come out with 50 trillion uberdreadnoughts, but instead just what they can make from their server's supplies. Real big ships will take the combined efforts of several servers. And space is war, joy.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:17 pm

what i thought
each server would contain a solar system
with about 3 planets and some random stuff like asteroids
and things

you can just fly of the planet and fly to the planet if your vessel has planetary engines too
if they get too space
then they can build shipyards of just fly around gathering recources or fighting
and if there are other servers people can build gates and jump to those servers with their ships

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Yes. Precisely what we just said. I think.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Alduin
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Dovan Empire

Post by Alduin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 pm

i thought it was going to be one super server hosted on a super computer containing all of the server universe
Nickname:Emperor_Revan(and roleplay)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Alduin wrote:i thought it was going to be one super server hosted on a super computer containing all of the server universe
Fenway wouldn't let us.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:47 pm

MULTIPLE GALAXIES??? sometime i think you guys talk like you think futurecraft will be able to handle everything. galaxies are mind bogglingly huge. even if we were able to pay for enough servers to hold every minecraft player ever on, at once, we wouldnt be able to populate even 1 / 1000th of galaxy. mybe we should have 20 or so star systems per server. each star system would have 10 planets and limit the number of factons to 30.
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 pm

i also feel like anybody who decided to vote against the idea didnt read it. everything in there is common sense and is one of very few ways we can keep new players from leaving. nobody who plays will be able to figure everything out by themselves.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:46 am

Double post. Did you read the rest of the thread? I don't think any of these noobs-get-free-things-to-start-out-with ideas are going to fly. A faction wouldn't start out with anything so the members would be able to get a hang of the stuff through gradual development. If someone joins later, their faction might choose to give them a starter ship.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:14 am

catsonmeth wrote:Double post. Did you read the rest of the thread? I don't think any of these noobs-get-free-things-to-start-out-with ideas are going to fly. A faction wouldn't start out with anything so the members would be able to get a hang of the stuff through gradual development. If someone joins later, their faction might choose to give them a starter ship.
okay. then let me take this in a new direction entirely. i dont think we can expect players to take to a faction without some sort of starter/training/npc faction first. the majority of minecraft players are nine and ten years old. and i know because i used to be one that nine and ten year olds in multiplayer games are spoiled and will probably become out of control when told to stop doing something thats wrong or if they are told to take a position they dont want to take. there has to be a starter faction or something of the sort that will filter out these players before they are released into the universe to affect other peoples experiences in futurecraft.this may sound sort of harsh but... its true :/

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:17 am

i think mertropolis
a mayor city that each server has where everyone first spawns
to get out they need to collect a certain amount of money
not very much but a little
and after they but with that money their first ship they have to be directed to the atmosphere thru an underground tunnel system in wich they learn everything

this city would be protected from the outside and will be placed in the middle of nowhere
in this city we will have guard npcs these guards have an area of oparation and they will stand still
but when someone in the area of oparation does something illegal [breaking blocks killing people enz]
he will chase the player commiting the crime and hitting him
a police droid will stop hitting him if he has half a heart lef
and he will make him pay a fine of 500
starting players would need about 600 so thats a hard hit to take

for the rest other older players can also buy appartements and stores
and take jobs in the city, the rent will be much lower in those citys

the ship those new players buy will be a ship thats renewable they just have to go to the city parking
these citys wont be part of a faction
but in the city you could join gangs most gangs will be representing a faction
and joining a gang will grant you almost enough money to buy your ship

is this an acceptable idea

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 am

No.

It's a good point, we need some tutorial. This could be included in some sort of "Help Book" at the start of the game.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:57 am

noone would read it
and its way too much too learn from a book

we need to have some sort of tutorial
it doesnt matter if its in the form of a npc parcour
or a city like this
but their has to be a tutorial

and i really like the simple free ship thing

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Well, we were just talking about acedemies. They could be for more than just NPCs. Different tutorials could be set up so a player can walk in, choose a "course" to take, and learn what they need to know.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

people will skip that
and what about free ships

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I think free ships are too far removed from the nature of Minecraft. Normally, you start with nothing and after death own only what you left yourself. It is one thing to have shortcuts to recovering what you lost, but quite another to be given pity handouts.