Tutorial?

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.

nvm

Poll ended at Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Total votes: 0

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank
Tutorial?

Post by CommanderKobialka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 am

This topic was originally "keeping new players from raging". I found a few flaws in the plan and am editing this article by throwing in the new, more relevant posts. Read them all so that you know what the discussion is about. I'll update this list of discussions every 1-2 days.

Taking it in a new direction:
Spoiler:
catsonmeth said:

I don't think any of these noobs-get-free-things-to-start-out-with ideas are going to fly. A faction wouldn't start out with anything so the members would be able to get a hang of the stuff through gradual development. If someone joins later, their faction might choose to give them a starter ship.

I said:

okay. then let me take this in a new direction entirely. i dont think we can expect players to take to a faction without some sort of starter/training/npc faction first. the majority of minecraft players are nine and ten years old. and i know because i used to be one that nine and ten year olds in multiplayer games are spoiled and will probably become out of control when told to stop doing something thats wrong or if they are told to take a position they dont want to take. there has to be a starter faction or something of the sort that will filter out these players before they are released into the universe to affect other peoples experiences in futurecraft.this may sound sort of harsh but... its true.
tutorial based on player experience:
Spoiler:
joykler said:

i think mertropolis
a mayor city that each server has where everyone first spawns
to get out they need to collect a certain amount of money
not very much but a little
and after they but with that money their first ship they have to be directed to the atmosphere thru an underground tunnel system in wich they learn everything

this city would be protected from the outside and will be placed in the middle of nowhere
in this city we will have guard npcs these guards have an area of oparation and they will stand still
but when someone in the area of oparation does something illegal [breaking blocks killing people enz]
he will chase the player commiting the crime and hitting him
a police droid will stop hitting him if he has half a heart lef
and he will make him pay a fine of 500
starting players would need about 600 so thats a hard hit to take

for the rest other older players can also buy appartements and stores
and take jobs in the city, the rent will be much lower in those citys

the ship those new players buy will be a ship thats renewable they just have to go to the city parking
these citys wont be part of a faction
but in the city you could join gangs most gangs will be representing a faction
and joining a gang will grant you almost enough money to buy your ship

is this an acceptable idea

Keon said:

No.

It's a good point, we need some tutorial. This could be included in some sort of "Help Book" at the start of the game.

joykler said:

noone would read it
and its way too much too learn from a book

we need to have some sort of tutorial
it doesnt matter if its in the form of a npc parcour
or a city like this
but their has to be a tutorial

and i really like the simple free ship thing

catsonmeth said:

Well, we were just talking about acedemies. They could be for more than just NPCs. Different tutorials could be set up so a player can walk in, choose a "course" to take, and learn what they need to know.

I said:

Like the instruction book that Keon suggested, nobody will pay attention to signs in a tunnel system. They should learn from experience. They could be assigned a small job in the city you described, and earn promotions over the course of a few hours. Eventually they will have a chance to conduct business transactions on a space station, which is where they could get their very first experience in flying... flying a shuttle to a station and docking. From there it can progress to harder and harder tasks until they are ready to either join a faction or become a lone wolf. The entire "job/tutorial" phase would, of course, be npc driven.

joykler said:

thats exactley what i was suggesting
with the tunnel system i ment flying thru the underground
so when they get to space they can immideatley go their own way
but your idea is better

restate it and i will nominate it

PVP in the spawn city:

Spoiler:
joykler said earlier:

no i think there should be some sort of tutorial
but he suggested a tutortial you can choose
im for a
tutorial that you have to do to get the basic stuff

and i really support my city idea because it wil instantly protect newspawned players
and because we would have a free space [space in room to build] and recource lack
that would be the best idea for people without spaceships

because all other citys would be in constant threat of being nuked
and newly spawned dont like that

I said:

the main spawn city should probably be a no nuke zone XD however, like my reply to your previous idea, players should learn from experience, so it wouldnt be 100% pvp free. players can punch other players, but then they would be chased down by the npc police and fined, like you said.
Last edited by CommanderKobialka on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Re: keeping new players from raging

Post by Keon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:08 am

Eve's system is you have an escape pod and you have a ship. Killing that ship means escaping in the pod. Going to any station with just a pod means a free faction-specific n00b ship.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am

I NOMINATE THIS IDEA

Either that or we give new players a week or so of invincibility to allow them to get up on there feet, join a faction, and find help before they get into fights. But we don't want noobs to think that just because they are invincible, they can pick a fight with everyone. Here we have two choices.

A: During invincibility, noobs cannot pick fights.

Eve's system is you have an escape pod and you have a ship. Killing that ship means escaping in the pod. Going to any station with just a pod means a free faction-specific n00b ship.

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Keon wrote:Eve's system is you have an escape pod and you have a ship. Killing that ship means escaping in the pod. Going to any station with just a pod means a free faction-specific n00b ship.
exactly. and you can pick up a noob ship for free at any station.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 pm

CommanderKobialka wrote:
Keon wrote:Eve's system is you have an escape pod and you have a ship. Killing that ship means escaping in the pod. Going to any station with just a pod means a free faction-specific n00b ship.
exactly. and you can pick up a noob ship for free at any station.
Then you´d need to have a standard n00b-ship for them.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:29 pm

No. When players join a server, they'd already be in that faction. They could join the faction's military or a company or enroll in a tutorial camp. There shouldn't be any lone wolf noobs (unless they do something stupid that tick off everyone in the faction and gets them exiled).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 pm

catsonmeth wrote:No. When players join a server, they'd already be in that faction. They could join the faction's military or a company or enroll in a tutorial camp. There shouldn't be any lone wolf noobs (unless they do something stupid that tick off everyone in the faction and gets them exiled).
so... theres a noob faction run by volunteer vets. when the mod first comes out that would be the members of this forum. they can leave the noob faction whenever they feel comfortable and find a new faction to join.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 am

dont do a nomination poll just say you nominate it

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:39 am

I Have mixed feelings about this idea. I think that ships should be a joint-effort thing, and that N00bs shouldn't get one for free with no idea on how to use it (even with tutorials, I'm sure Futurecraft will have a very different "mood" to most games). Also, invincibility is only going to get people killed. How, I don't know, but it always does.

I may need to sleep now...
This is a signature.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am

I feel like we don't want the typical "Well, you are a lone wolf to start but then you can become a clan person". You should be a clan person, and then decide to be a lone wolf of your own choice.

That means to join Futurecraft, you need to join a server, and by joining a server, you have joined a faction.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm

if i understand it correctly that will be the way things work as soon as we have multiple galaxys and those fighting with eachother
but as long as we have one we will have war within that galaxy and
until we reach the intergalactic war
people should start lone wolfs [maybe they should start on a factions homeworld with the least members but they still could chose to stay lone wolf]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Multiple galaxies?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Alduin
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Dovan Empire

Post by Alduin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:37 pm

or we could just not allow random attacks. no random attacks=no raging newbies. also it would keep the chaos level down.
Nickname:Emperor_Revan(and roleplay)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:39 pm

i thought diffrent servers would become diffrent galaxys
that would be joined together by or a space highway or space jumping or portals

no we have too much war ideas for that i also tried to put in peacefull items or
ideas but they were all rejected so it will have alot of war

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Different galaxies? Methinks you mean planetary system. If someone has an FTL drive or access to a gate, then they can go to any system they like as long as they know the coordinates.
— David Langford
Spoiler: