Crafting and the pain it brings.

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
Crafting and the pain it brings.

Post by Keon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:08 pm

I don't know about you, but I hate crafting. We either need a thauminomicon type thing or we need a crafting-bench III type thing.

I would suggest two things. For large objects like reactors and maybe even fighters, we use golem-style crafting, where we build the object and then right click on a block of it, and it makes it. For smaller objects, we can use a block called the "nano-fabricator" that takes base materials and fabricates items that have been researched. This removes the pain of crafting and still leaves progression.

The golem crafting would involve learning a design and then crafting the component parts in a nano-fabricator and assembling them together in the world. A nanofabricator would construct very complex items very quickly, but take energy to power.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Re: Crafting and the pain it brings.

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 pm

The golem thing for big stuff was always the plan. I am not familiar with this thauminomicon, though. What's that about?

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Well, it's from a mod called Thaumcraft. The Thauminomicon is basically the help manual. After you "research" something (You can't actually craft it until you research it), it appears in your thauminomicon with a little flavor text. Clicking on it shows you it's crafting recipe as well as a more in-depth flavor text. Basically, a way to see crafting recipes without seeing them all at once.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 am

CRAFTing is a major game mechanic in MineCRAFT and I don't believe it should be removed. We obviously wont be crafting star ships in normal crafting tables so don't worry. Plus, I'm sure there will be some sort of automated mass production in the mod. (I feel like every new suggestion anyone makes is just raising the probability that this mod will never be completed) /:|
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:29 am

Well this has been something on the books since the beginning, so not much surprise here. The new thing FC is going to be doing is components which can't fit in the player's inventory, and have to be stored in physical space. Besides that, we are planning a bunch of new ways of manufacturing things which shy away from relying on the 3x3 grid. It served it purpose for vanilla minecraft, but I think it is a mistake to depend on it simply because that's how it's been.

And really, adding new crafting methods is pretty basic compared to a lot of the engine work we are doing. I wouldn't worry about it too much.