commanding your ships

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
commanding your ships

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 am

has anyone already thought about how to actually fly the ships

a fighter or a very smal vessel would be easy that isnt the problem
but with world destroyer titan omega dreadnaughts it would be more of a problem

a plane in todays world is flown
by two pilots with help of a really good computer and a lot of ground support

now last two things arent possible
sure you can make an computer do some things but at this complexity
and to think of the diffrent way all the ships work

i have come to an idea
Spoiler:
what if we make it so
a bridge would need a standard accupance of 6
i know people argue about how many people would be abord a ship
some people say 3 some say 30
but i think six for a standard isnt too bad

the places would be like this:

2 pilots
a captain
an overal status manager
an defence manager
and a gps/communications manager

each of these posts would be a block that people can sit in / stand infront of
when you click on it you would be activate it and lock you in your place
then you would see the visual corrosponding with your task

the pilots
when in their seat the pilots will have an third person vieuw of the ship
each pilot has the same amount of controll of the vessel
if two pilots each steer in a diffrent direction some things would be added to find the way to go for the ship
first the ship would always want to go in a straight line [some engines may work difrently but thats for later concern] so the pilot that stays in the same direction would win of the other pilot
then you have gps if you entered a coordinat at wich the vessel has to go to the vessel would prefer the route that stays on track
atlast you have the captain the captain can also take the wheel but he never actually would controll the vessel if he takes the wheel the pilot that has almost the same direction as the captain would win [and steer the vessel in the direction he wants]

the status manager
he would when in his seat see all the statistics of the ship
including life support ,energy use,shielding,fuel,fuel efficiency , hull damage , amount of players on the ship ext....
he would be able to shutdown certain things to make more room for lets say the fighting area he would get an controll board of each and machine that uses energy [maybe some things can be catagorysed to make it easyer to shut down or power up]

the defence manager would be in controll of the ships defence
he would be able to , with the supplyed power switch between shielding and weaponry
he would also see the damage the ship has taken and the damage the ship can withstand
further things like amount of ammo and hull breaches would be his responsibility. he could order the fighters to fly and the soldiers to prepare for landing

the gps/communications manager he contolls a ship from a further distance he can make calls to each ship compartement and beyond with a good transmitter he can call thru space. the is also in charge of gps he can program the autopilot rearrange the radar and allow space jumps

the captain
the captain sits in his chair and has each post bounded to a key
so he can quikly change the ships stats he has supreme power almost anywhere if he changes something the person in the post would be notified by an automatic message but he doesnt have to approve
only the actual flying is limited for him like i just explained

commands from outside
when in the range of a capital/flagship the ships dont need actual persons in them the main ship can direct them
but its better if they do
when a ship with all the persons i just discribed in it the flagships orders would function like the gps only this time its abit stronger the vessel would prefer the gps above the captain

when someone is missing from this team dont worry the vessel still works just not optimal
the ship with less than standerd amount of controll would seek the most cheap and safe way
shutting down all not essential machines and diverting all power to the shields

each person can ofcourse take each seat [maybe not the captains seat but i dont know how that would work]
so it would be wise to arrange the seats quite carefully if you are shorthanded
you might choose status over gps and a defence manager over a co-pilot

this is that part of the idea
the actual flying shouldnt look like the flying of the zeppelin mod
ofcourse the ship can move more realistic than there but still
in the zepplin mod you would yaw at a certain speed when you wanted to go the other direction you would need to lower the yawrate oneside before increasing it to the other side. this wouldnt work for us because our ships should react very fast i think that when you yaw from one side to the other you should immediatly start doing it ofcourse you would have a little time between you would feel it]
and maybe it would be fun to make the ships joystick compatible.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Re: commanding your ships

Post by MrTargareyan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Joystick compatibility would be cool, but that might be complicated (i might be wrong i have no programming experience, im just guessing), maybe for ship piloting the entire ship becomes see through to the pilot so they can actually see where they are going? As for standard crew compliment, maybe there is no minimum (a pilot obviously) but the crew compliment significantly effects your speed/weapons, or instead of crew you can have an army of androids to do repears and fire the guns instead of people? I guess this would enable smaller factions to have big ships they can use, which would be cool.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm

i think joystick would be cool too but thats a very little part
i dont think you get my idea i probably didnt explain it correct
my standard amount of crew is for a very large vessel one that would be in hands of small factions
and i never mentioned a minimum i talked about a standard
in my idea my minimum would be about 2
and yes you can have extra crew performing all kinds of tasks on the ship these can also be done by androids but thats not what im talking about
all those minor tasks are for later concern
im talkin about the basics needed to effectively fly a large vessel

and even my basic is just 6 people even for a small faction thats doable so

anymore questions

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm going to push for gamepad controls. Ostensibly, the LWJGL supports it already, but I've never seen it used before so I don't know how good the support is. At the very least 360 controllers should work right, and really, how many people use anything else?

That said, I think joystick control makes more sense on fast-responsive vessels like fighters than it does on large ships. For comparison, imagine steering a cruise liner with a 360 controller. Doesn't make a ton of sense.

I do like the idea of having multiple crewmen to pilot a ship. It would give it a feel of authenticity and I think it would be fun for people playing with friends. The thing to consider, though, is how to balance it with people playing solo. I think AI should be able to take over certain ship functions, but can't do as well as a human could. The captain can switch to other stations to do things manually in a single-player setup, but it would be much more difficult to do everything on their own.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Keep it at one pilot.
In an actual plane, there really is only one proper pilot and a "status manager".
Two pilots constantly overriding each other would be horrible.
Also, how many people you have on which controls may vary highly from ship to ship, considering different equipment and different usage of computer-automation.
I would, however, add another position: Power controller.
His job really only gets important in situations where power is short.
Then he has to distribute power to the more important systems and make sure everything works optimal.

I would also suggest having one or two engineers on your ship.
If you have a leak and a power line or something similar is hit, you want to be able to repair it without sending the guys controlling your ship.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

i think i mentioned that
in my idea the minimum would be two players
the actual pilot and the captain that can switch posts very quick
and otherwise the ship would go to the safest configuration
having low speed and strong shielding

and a group of solo players can also use this system
i have thaught long about just that part
people who dont know eachother with diffrent lvls of experiance flying the same ship
thats why each part functions separatly
but some things overlap
and the captain has the job to make it all work together. like you said
switching stations wouldnt be that difficult for him
imagine him sitting in the middel of the ship with on the numbers of his keyboard the diffrent stations they just have to press 2 to gain controll of the wheel or 4 to check the ships status

to iv
there are 3 people in the cockpit
a pilot a co-pilot and a status manager
if the pilot and the co-pilot work togehter they have much more controll of the ship than alone

so a ship with this size needs two pilots with equel power
constantly overriding each other wont be the case because all of the extra factors

i already mentioned the engines part in this system
a strong thruster would have the affect that a ship would probably go in a straight line
energy diffrence
i also have an power controller thats the status manager
he would controll the power
and all the other status things
engineers are of later concern
i said that in the part of having droids perform diffrent tasks on the ship

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:45 pm

I think we need Mack to edit the OP on the old forum so people understand what we already have planned. Like command chairs and stuff. Maybe we should make it mandatory for people to read the old Ideas Center on the old forum?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

ACH0225 wrote:I think we need Mack to edit the OP on the old forum so people understand what we already have planned. Like command chairs and stuff. Maybe we should make it mandatory for people to read the old Ideas Center on the old forum?
No earth human can read through all of that!
And we are trying to have Earth Humans play this...
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Yeah, it's much to scattered to follow it all, and there is far more discussion than there is executive decisions made. Same as this forum.

We are definitely going around in circles, though. Reintroducing the same ideas and discussing the same issues over and over.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 pm

yes please appoint someone as the noter that notes all good ideas on a new thread
where people can look if its possible and then vote over it

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:05 pm

joykler wrote:yes please appoint someone as the noter that notes all good ideas on a new thread
where people can look if its possible and then vote over it
Joykler is now the official notary officer, tasked with indexing and documenting all good ideas as they happen on the forum.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:22 pm

just to be clear i didnt ask for this position but im fine with doing it
but if i do it i need more power
just for the fact i need the possibility to let things from the development thread go to the notes thread
i want a subthread in the development [like minecraft in gaming]

i see it like this
someone makes an idea
here you can talk about it an someone [needless to say not the actual person who thaught of it] can nominate it please do that in capital letters
like I NOMINATE THIS IDEA then i move it to the notes thread in wich first a developer looks if its possible
then you guys can vote for it if its accepted
it will get on the list of things to do [here devs can also choose an idea to work on so it would be clear for him and the rest what everyone is doing]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:04 pm

joykler wrote:i need more power
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:05 pm

We all love joykler.
Spoiler:

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm

hyperlite wrote:We all love joykler.
Except for his capitalization. But thats why mods can edit other users posts, am I right? ;)
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson